Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Looking for Energy/Electricity advice this Christmas? Join the official Q&Ag

Options
  • 04-12-2009 4:36pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 4,241 ✭✭✭

Hello,

Dessie_smaller.jpg

I'd like you all to "meet" Jim Curran from the ESB. Jim is one of their foremost energy efficiency experts and is currently helping Des Bishop, above, with his queries over on this website. His bio reads:
    Jim Curran is a full time ESB Customer Supply energy guru and farming enthusiast. With more than 30 years under his belt inside ESB and out, he’s sort of an electric blackbelt now. A country lad at heart, he’s not afraid to get dirt under his fingernails and can’t get enough of tractors, jeeps and all things Meath – despite his ties to Roscommon.

Jim is going to answer Boards.ie members questions about electricity, about energy efficiency, about how you can make sure your house is set for Christmas, about how to keep it warm this winter and really any of your energy efficiency queries.

Over on the Des Bishop site he's advised Des on his Fridge Freezer, on lightbulbs, his immersion, his tumble dryer, on hot water bottles vs electric blankets, on toasters, on home energy saving grants and all that kind of thing. So any of those questions would be welcome.

Please note though, he's not here to answer questions about billing, about ESB corporate or services - he's here to help you make your home efficient. We're working on the rest for you.

Just leave your question below and we'll get Jim to fix it* for you.

Cheers

Darragh

(* sorry, sorry ;))
    Tagged:

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6 Jane B

Jim, I'm anticipating being fairly broke in January (post budget, post Christmas etc etc), what are a few quick easy CHEAP things I can do to conserve energy and bring down my electricity and heating bills? Please don't tell me to go out and buy fancy new A rated cookers or invest in solar panels - I want some practical advice.

BTW, I like the videos - how hot is Des Bishop...!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 cavassonuovo

Hi there. I really like the Des site, love watching the videos - and am excited to see you here on boards.
    My question is we really are trying to make our home as energy efficient as possible - but we still need to run the washer/dishwasher/heater/etc. everyday - sometimes twice a day. The main problem I think is that our house is a bit drafty. What do you recommend to help stop the draft coming in the windows and backdoor? Any products out there beside the crumpled up towel we leave by the floor at the back door? Maybe replacing the back door would be better?
    Thanks Jim

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3 ewok

Hi Jim,

I live in an apartment where our heat runs off the electricity - we have those horrible storage heater/radiators. Our ESB bill is always huge in the winter months even though we put it on as little as possible - 1.5 hours in the morning and 2-3 hours at night.

Do you have any tips on how i can reduce my bill?

Advertisement