Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

COUNTRY WITH BEST CAR MARQUES.

Options
  • 04-12-2009 4:13pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 71 ✭✭

ANY SUGGESTIONS?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 26,149 ✭✭✭✭Berty

The United Kingdom because they have Ford and Vauxhall.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,605 ✭✭✭Fizman

TM RACING wrote: »
    ANY SUGGESTIONS?

You thinking of purchasing said Marque, or country? :pac:

I reckon ze Germans have it gud ya.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 71 ✭✭TM RACING

I myself have to say the italians. LANCIA, FIAT, ALFA ROMEO, FERRARI MASERATTI.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 98 ✭✭Atwork

I myself have to say the italians. LANCIA, FIAT, ALFA ROMEO, FERRARI MASERATTI.

I would think along the same lines

Just voicing my opinions.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 13,822 ✭✭✭✭EPM

I'd go with the Italians for the heritage and desirability. Often not the best cars but still tug at the heart strings

• Registered Users Posts: 22,818 ✭✭✭✭Anan1

betafrog wrote: »
    Great, try doing so without trying to force it upon other people and refusing to acknowledge their's and insulting them.
    If you feel another poster's wrong then tell them why.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,718 ✭✭✭Matt Simis

EPM wrote: »
    I'd go with the Italians for the heritage and desirability. Often not the best cars but still tug at the heart strings

Make its an objective statement by looking at whats made today, offered right now.. Japan and Germany, without a doubt.
    They cover all bases IMO, especially if you rule out super cars (though Lambo are "German" now) and look at whats available to the general public.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,277 ✭✭✭✭mickdw

Italians I guess but the uk had a great industry with many good small companies making some great cars at one time. Much of it is gone now though i realise

• Closed Accounts Posts: 252 ✭✭plissken

I'd actually like it if this was clarified a bit, under this thought then would you say Lamborghini was an Italian or German marque seeing as it is now owned by a German company but was originally and is still associated with being Italian. Would help clear things up and open up a lot more options in my opinion.

Lamborghini's are now and have always been an Italian marque, both their headquarters and production facilities have never been located outside of Italy, what does it matter if their operating under the umbrella of a German company how does that make them any less Italian?

Guinness has always been considered an Irish product despite its owners (Diageo) HQ being situated in London or would you disagree?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,686 ✭✭✭JHMEG

If that's the criteria we're gonna follow though I'm gonna go with the UK.
    Aston Martin, Lotus, Jaguar, MG, TVR, Bentley, Rolls Royce, Morgan, Noble, Rover, Bristol, Caterham, Ginetta, Ascari, Ariel, McLaren etc etc

If it's ok to include marques which don't exist any more then the US is hard to beat:

AMC, Buick, Cadillac, Chevrolet, Ford, GM, Jeep, Lincoln, Packard, Plymouth, Pontiac, Studebaker, and about 500 others.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,374 ✭✭✭Saab Ed

If that's the criteria we're gonna follow though I'm gonna go with the UK.
    Aston Martin, Lotus, Jaguar, MG, TVR, Bentley, Rolls Royce, Morgan, Noble, Rover, Bristol, Caterham, Ginetta, Ascari, Ariel, McLaren etc etc

.......not to mention Austin, Wolesley, Healey, AC, Reliant, MG, Alvis, Allard, Lea Francis, Frazer Nash, Hillman ,Singer, Triumph, Armstrong Siddeley and so many many more great names from the motor industry. The Germans might have invented it and the Italians might still make the prettiest but you've gotta hand it to the Brits when it comes to the motor car. They've given us everything and have defined every class of car on the market today. Everyone has coppied them from the Germans with the Luxo-saloons , Mazda with the MX5 not to mention every origianl japaneese car out there was a British rip-off. Then there are the current catogories we are used to from minis to super minis to family cars etc , all given to us by the Brits. Yup its the UK for me. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,213 ✭✭✭PrettyBoy

Italy, obviously.

Ferrari, Lamborghini, Maserati, Alfa Romeo, FIAT, Pagani, Lancia, De Tomaso....

• Registered Users Posts: 8,718 ✭✭✭Matt Simis

LIGHTNING wrote: »
    To be fair the thread is called the country with the best car marques, not the country which build the best cars.

I didnt say they built the best cars. I just think the only way to answer the question is to take literally, the country with the best marques, ie present tense and not teary eyed nostalgia which is open to interpretation.

Current country marques.. where design decisions are made, HQ located and financial reporting listed HQ or as close to that aim as possible. Therefore Mini could not be called British while it could be argues Lambo are Italian and Aston Martin are in fact British (assuming their design studio and some production happens in the UK still).

Otherwise people just come along with a list of obscure old marques that virtually no one has any experience with, including those posting.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,003 ✭✭✭bijapos

Germany for me. Everything is covered, small, medium and large cars and 4x4's from VW, Opel (I regard them as German though they are GM owned) BMW, Mercedes. Sports for all tastes and practicality in Porsche, AMG and a host of tuners (Hamann, Brabus etc), supercars and hypercars in Ruf, Wiesmann and Apollo amongst others, a host of small builders in and out of business like Lotec and Dauer and of courswe theres the Veyron, German in everything but name. Even have vans, tucks and bikes well covered.

Find it a shame that the UK car industry was ruined by red pen merchants, power hungry union types and shoddy workmanship, but thats the way it is. Japs and Germans just ran the shop better. Best example is the Lotus Elan of the 60's, class car, Lotus and Rover tried a copy in the 80's and 90's with the new Elan and the MGF, the Japanese simply built the MX5.

New Mini is another example, Rover dithered for years over a replacement, when they finally had the courage they ran out of cash so it went to BMW. Sad but thats mismanagement for you.

Italians have something and so have the French but overall its the Germans for me.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,178 ✭✭✭pajo1981

This associating car companies with countries is very top gear and very tedious. Did you know that the new german 7 series' side view cameras were developed by french company valeo in their R&D centre in Tuam Galway for instance?

• Registered Users Posts: 17,819 ✭✭✭✭peasant

Saab Ed wrote: »
    .......not to mention Austin, Wolesley, Healey, AC, Reliant, MG, Alvis, Allard, Lea Francis, Frazer Nash, Hillman ,Singer, Triumph, Armstrong Siddeley and so many many more great names

I see your bygones and counter with

Maybach, Borgward, NSU, Glas, Adler, Amphicar, Auto-Union, Horch, N.A.G., Stoewer, Veritas, Wanderer

:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,822 ✭✭✭✭EPM

pajo1981 wrote: »
    This associating car companies with countries is very top gear and very tedious. Did you know that the new german 7 series' side view cameras were developed by french company valeo in their R&D centre in Tuam Galway for instance?

Completely pointless info...but pointless in a good way. Kinda cool! Let's hope they work though...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,686 ✭✭✭JHMEG

pajo1981 wrote: »

Is that true. If so it's kinda cool.

• Registered Users Posts: 604 ✭✭✭mumblin deaf ro

Just looking up Triumph there - started by Germans in the UK, now owned by BMW. (Wonder whether BMW will ever resurrect the brand?). Triumph even provided one of the early engines for the SAAB 99. Saab uses a Fiat engine for its diesels and collaborated with Lancia for the 9000. It's all a bit international in the motor industry, which I like as an antidote to the overt nationalism that you might superficially associate with motoring.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 19,754 ✭✭✭✭cnocbui

Italy, by a wide margin.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,641 ✭✭✭zilog_jones

peasant wrote: »
    I see your bygones and counter with

Maybach, Borgward, NSU, Glas, Adler, Amphicar, Auto-Union, Horch, N.A.G., Stoewer, Veritas, Wanderer

:D

Don't forget Wartburg and Trabant :)

• Registered Users Posts: 17,819 ✭✭✭✭peasant

Don't forget Wartburg and Trabant :)

I was trying to sweep them under the carpet :D

• Registered Users Posts: 170 ✭✭B11gt00e

The Japanese build great cars with indestructible engines.

Sure the early cars rusted to pieces, but the engines never stop....

Engines only fail with amateur modifications added.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 888 ✭✭✭tdc

Saab Ed wrote: »
    not to mention Austin, Wolesley, Healey, AC, Reliant, MG, Alvis, Allard, Lea Francis, Frazer Nash, Hillman ,Singer, Triumph, Armstrong Siddeley and so many many more

wtf? are you seriously trying to convince us that the UK has the best marques by giving these examples?

Italy by a HUGE margin, followed by Germany, followed by Japan.

The UK? LMFAO!!

PrettyBoy wrote: »
    Italy, obviously.

Ferrari, Lamborghini, Maserati, Alfa Romeo, FIAT, Pagani, Lancia, De Tomaso....

Lamborghini are not italian owned, they are owned by VAG now unfortunately.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 888 ✭✭✭tdc

Lamborghini are not italian owned, they are owned by VAG now unfortunately.

So what? Theyre based in italy, always have been. Aston martin were owned by Ford up until a couple of years ago - does that mean they were american? And why is it unfortunate? Lamborghini have never been more successful than they are right now.

Next time try thinking before you post.

• Registered Users Posts: 948 ✭✭✭DJ Hafez

Sweeden

Koenigsegg ..... That is all :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 79 ✭✭NLane

cnocbui wrote: »
    Italy, by a wide margin.

+1 imo...

the italians have made an incredible contribution to the world of motoring.

• Advertisement
Advertisement