Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Changing from '00 Yaris - what to replace it with ?

Options
  • 04-12-2009 3:59pm
    Registered Users Posts: 795 ✭✭✭

Hi, looking to tap into the collective knowledge of Boards motors' forum pariticpants................

Wife's Yaris 9 years old this month, genuine 47k on the clock (we've had it since new) and thinking of changing car in the new year (she does most of the runs for school, various activities with the kids etc. so wants something a little more robust / reliable)

Was originally looking at a 06/07 Golf but then began thikning about another Toyota (and possibly getting something better in terms of a trade-in price as it was bought from the local Toyota dealer originally) but my first thoughts were that the Corolla etc. are nice cars but dreadfully boring etc.

I know my wife likes the RAV4 so my question is, what's it like - good, bad or indifferent ? Reliable, good/bad value, boring ??

I'd welcome any and all input - I'm looking at getting something over 2 years old, most likely go for an 07 model in early 2010.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,559 ✭✭✭Tipsy Mac

Rav 4 will has poor boot space and poor fuel economy. Id go with a Golf for styling or an Auris for reliability.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,107 ✭✭✭ytareh

More reliable than a Yaris!!!!????Id say stick with it unless you REALLY want to change for the sake of changing...Do you really need more space?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 65 ✭✭Viejo Zorro

I'd echo ytareh's sentiments, but, that said, if you have the money to change, there never has been a better time.

As you have a Yaris, I presume you are doing short hops in it and didn't buy it for the fuel economy.
    If you are looking for a super economical compact, I can't recommend the 1.4 TDi Polo enough. Fantastic solid little car, returns 60mpg with reasonably careful driving and plenty of vroom for those overtaking moments.
    However, a Golf was mentioned, and these seem to be the only cars at the moment that are maintaining their value - eg a fully loaded 03 GT TDi that I was looking at in a showroom was marked nine grand. Undoubtedly were you to wave cash there could be movement, but nonetheless, this is an indication of what the top spec Golf's are making.
    If you don't mind platicky interiors, light road holding and are attracted by cheap replacement parts and bullet proof reliability, stay with Toyota.
    If you like massive economy, solidly built cars, but don't mind occasional electronic issues and damn high drive train component prices, opt for a VAG diesel. A nice cheap alternative to the Golf are the Seat and Skoda offerings - rode in a 06 Octavia the other night which was an impressive beast.

RAV... there is something I know little about, apart from the fact that the ex-UK diesel models are hard pressed to be under the 100 thou mark mileage wise... That said, it's not unknown for Toyota diesels to happily do half a million, and that is no bulls**t.

Keep us posted as to developments!

• Registered Users Posts: 23,281 ✭✭✭✭mickdw

Look for an 08 as with the car tax system, the 08 will most likely be much cheaper to tax. In the small family car range (Focus, golf etc). you could be looking at only paying €150 tax per year for the diesels compared to €600 for an 07 identical car. The 07 models will be sale proof in a few years when the 08 is within everyones reach if the tax system stays as it is

• Registered Users Posts: 795 ✭✭✭jrar

I'd echo ytareh's sentiments, but, that said, if you have the money to change, there never has been a better time.

As you have a Yaris, I presume you are doing short hops in it and didn't buy it for the fuel economy.
    If you are looking for a super economical compact, I can't recommend the 1.4 TDi Polo enough. Fantastic solid little car, returns 60mpg with reasonably careful driving and plenty of vroom for those overtaking moments.
    However, a Golf was mentioned, and these seem to be the only cars at the moment that are maintaining their value - eg a fully loaded 03 GT TDi that I was looking at in a showroom was marked nine grand. Undoubtedly were you to wave cash there could be movement, but nonetheless, this is an indication of what the top spec Golf's are making.
    If you don't mind platicky interiors, light road holding and are attracted by cheap replacement parts and bullet proof reliability, stay with Toyota.
    If you like massive economy, solidly built cars, but don't mind occasional electronic issues and damn high drive train component prices, opt for a VAG diesel. A nice cheap alternative to the Golf are the Seat and Skoda offerings - rode in a 06 Octavia the other night which was an impressive beast.

RAV... there is something I know little about, apart from the fact that the ex-UK diesel models are hard pressed to be under the 100 thou mark mileage wise... That said, it's not unknown for Toyota diesels to happily do half a million, and that is no bulls**t.

Keep us posted as to developments!

Viejo, that's the thinking i.e. will need changing sooner rather than later. so now seems like a good time.

I'm very familiar withe VAG diesels having driven 2 diff. Passat 1.9 Tdi's since 2000 - current 03 one I've had since new with 118K on the clock now. Aside from cost of timing belt / fitting, other running costs have been minimal and I have a good mechanic who does my 10K oil and filter checks and she's still running fine - I fully plan to drive it into the ground and will hopefully get 4/5 more years out of it so don't mind too much upgrading the other car which is mainly a runaround but does get used on the odd trip to family in Mayo or Kerry.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,015 ✭✭✭rccaulfield

Alot of 07 models will be difficult to sell on because of the different tax laws from 08 regs on-Just be aware of that!

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 994 Mod ✭✭✭✭LookBehindYou

No point in even dreaming about a diesel car if your wife has only done small mileage in the yaris.
    Best option would be for to sell the yaris privately and buy your choice of car for straight deal.
    A ford focus, or astra, peugeot 207 are reliable cars at a good price to buy.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,015 ✭✭✭rccaulfield

No point in even dreaming about a diesel car if your wife has only done small mileage in the yaris.

Why do you say that?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,822 ✭✭✭✭EPM

Why do you say that?

You often pay a premium pricewise that the economy difference will never cover because of the low mileage

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,279 ✭✭✭snowman707

EPM wrote: »
    You often pay a premium pricewise that the economy difference will never cover because of the low mileage

Even the OP's own passat barely justifies diesel with his mileage, buying new that is

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 23,281 ✭✭✭✭mickdw

You would think a diesel was some fantastic type of car that you could only dream about!

The old thinking was that you needed big miles to justify the diesel price. Thats not an issue now really with the new vrt system making the diesels very well priced. So there is no penalty in the new price, cheaper to run and better resale when getting rid. Servicing alittle more expensive and more possibility of expensive repairs in general but mileage isnt a requirement like it once was

Mmm, so a post 08 1.4TDi would be amazingly cheap to both VRT and tax? Add on fantastic mpg?

• Registered Users Posts: 73,389 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

Tipsy Mac wrote: »
    Rav 4 will has poor boot space and poor fuel economy. Id go with a Golf for styling or an Auris for reliability.
    a 1.8 litre Rav4 won't be far of an Auris for fuel economy, and has quite a big well shaped boot.

OP, I'd look for a last of the 07 Corolla hatchbacks if I were you. Also consider a 1.6 Avensis, they're great value at the moment.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,454 ✭✭✭mink_man

'02

• Registered Users Posts: 795 ✭✭✭jrar

snowman707 wrote: »
    Even the OP's own passat barely justifies diesel with his mileage, buying new that is

The car is late '03 so just over 6 years old, so I reckon I do approx. 19K a year which I would have thought was slightly above average, including a trip to France each year.

Thanks for all of the advice and opinions on what to replace the Yaris with, assuming I can't persuade my wife to hold it for another year (lots of other things that I can think of spending the momey on !)

Well 19 k would be considered higher than average, so keep the diesels in mind.

Good luck with your car hunting!!!

Advertisement