Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Studying Graphic Design in Dublin?

Options
  • 04-12-2009 3:40pm
    Registered Users Posts: 606 ✭✭✭

I've had a look at several colleges in Dublin but none seem to offer a Graphic Design degree course? Have I just missed a college or is there really no college in Dublin offering this?

Im 25 so will be a mature student and studied graphic design at night for 6 months to get a diploma. While I did get a diploma Id like to study it full time as it was only 6 months.

Ballyfermot seemed to be the only thing close but they were only offering a lower diploma so it would only be equivalent to what I already have.

Ive been strongly thinking of studying in Edinburgh as the courses seem better but I just cant believe that no college in dublin offers a full time graphic design course?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,137 ✭✭✭experiMental

DIT, NCAD and Institute of Dun Laoghaire offer full time graphic design courses, but they are called "Visual Communications"

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 yasminebe

Hi,

I studied graphic design in SCD Dunlaoghaire college. Its a multimedia course with graphic design its a degree you can also go on and transfer to whales not sure if they still do it have a look at their website.

http://www.scd.ie/

Hope this was some help to you:)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,946 ✭✭✭red_ice

might see you about napier next year then, i hear its a great place to study

• Registered Users Posts: 606 ✭✭✭gibson

red_ice wrote: »
    might see you about napier next year then, i hear its a great place to study

Actually after I posted this my prospectus for Napier came! Looks like a great uni and the course seems brilliant. Im a little confused with a few things about it though. I was told because were EU students we dont have to pay fees but we cant apply for any student loans or anything which is fine.

But then ive also been told we have to pay the fees back and its effectively a loan. The prospectus isnt really much clearer, it says EU students may not have to pay fees then says fees for UK and EU students are £1,823 something like that. So im still not really sure if weve to pay fees or if we do do we have to pay them back!

what are you thinking of studying?

• Registered Users Posts: 7 Graphic Designer

Hi. The Graphic Design (Visual Communications) course in Ballyfermot College is a Higher National Diploma. It's not a lower diploma (I don't know what a 'lower diploma' is)! It's two years full-time. Brilliant course. Great lecturers. Tough going, but it's geared up to help people change career. There's been architects, archeologists, engineers, lawers, bankers and all on the course over the years. I graduated 4 years ago with a portfolio that got me straight into paid work. As I've said elsewhere, the lecturers didn't encourage us to apply for unpaid internships. They always said that we had skills worth paying for. Some of my fellow students got advanced entry onto degree courses (IADT, DIT, NCAD). Everyone on the course did really well, and everyone of us is working now. Great emphasis on technical skills. You'll get a great portfolio out of it. The BCFE courses are actually really affordable too. MUCH more so than some of the private colleges offering the same qualifications.

They're taking applications now — I just emailed the course co-ordinator and asked him :) Hope that helps.

• Advertisement
Advertisement