Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Reporting dangerous driving

Options
  • 04-12-2009 2:58pm
    Registered Users Posts: 4,386 ✭✭✭

What happens when you report dangerous driving?

This morning, wet windy and dull and I was driving to work, there was an articulated lorry in front of me and I was doing about 50 miles per hour next out of no where a car came up behind me practically on my bumper next he starts flashing his lights, expecting me to overtake the 40ft lorry with cars coming against me and the spray from the lorry made driving conditions even worse, the road is wide and it was approaching a bend. I stayed where I was and said it to my wife beside me "Whats he playing at he's hardly expecting me to over take with cars coming against us".

Next after a few seconds of light flashing he then pulls up beside, literally a foot and a half distance from my car, I have to serve to the left because he was so close then he blows his horn while passing me and the artic truck, then pulls in a few feet in front of the truck and behind a small car going slowly causing the truck to break ,seconds later he pulled out again and sped off into the distance.

Even though I was a bit in shock I had time to get his number plate I even got the trucks number plate he would of heard the horn blowing and seen the car pull in front of him.

What got me so mad was (a)Intimating me to overtake dangerously. (b)Pulling so close beside me and blowing his horn and then (c ) Pulling in dangerously nearly causing another accident.

I decided to ring the road watch number and reported the incident and she said it will be passed on to the Gardai. Just wondering where does it go from here, I told girl I had no problem with making a statement because in bad weather conditions this guy was acting like he owns the road, and its is only a matter of time before he causes an accident. Is it worth pursuing with, I not afraid to go to court if need be.

Thanks

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,496 ✭✭✭Mr. Presentable

EKRIUQ wrote: »
    What happens when you report dangerous driving?

This morning, wet windy and dull and I was driving to work, there was an articulated lorry in front of me and I was doing about 50 miles per hour next out of no where a car came up behind me practically on my bumper next he starts flashing his lights, expecting me to overtake the 40ft lorry with cars coming against me and the spray from the lorry made driving conditions even worse, the road is wide and it was approaching a bend. I stayed where I was and said it to my wife beside me "Whats he playing at he's hardly expecting me to over take with cars coming against us".

Next after a few seconds of light flashing he then pulls up beside, literally a foot and a half distance from my car, I have to serve to the left because he was so close then he blows his horn while passing me and the artic truck, then pulls in a few feet in front of the truck and behind a small car going slowly causing the truck to break ,seconds later he pulled out again and sped off into the distance.

Even though I was a bit in shock I had time to get his number plate I even got the trucks number plate he would of heard the horn blowing and seen the car pull in front of him.

What got me so mad was (a)Intimating me to overtake dangerously. (b)Pulling so close beside me and blowing his horn and then (c ) Pulling in dangerously nearly causing another accident.

I decided to ring the road watch number and reported the incident and she said it will be passed on to the Gardai. Just wondering where does it go from here, I told girl I had no problem with making a statement because in bad weather conditions this guy was acting like he owns the road, and its is only a matter of time before he causes an accident. Is it worth pursuing with, I not afraid to go to court if need be.

Thanks

You've done your part, let the Gardai do theirs.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,282 ✭✭✭Bandara

Its your word against his, unless they get a rake of complaints they will do nothing about it.

Sad but true

• Registered Users Posts: 22,818 ✭✭✭✭Anan1

Without in any way trying to excuse his driving, were you far enough back from the truck that he could overtake you first and then the truck?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,386 ✭✭✭EKRIUQ

Anan1 wrote: »
    Without in any way trying to excuse his driving, were you far enough back from the truck that he could overtake you first and then the truck?

There was a good gap between me and the truck about 40 meters, he could of pulled in between me and the truck but he decided to overtake the truck as well even though there wouldn't be a lot of power in his estate vehicle.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,534 ✭✭✭SV

If you couldn't overtake with the spray and the cars coming against you then how on earth did he pass you and the truck?

but that's besides the point.

There's nothing else you can do.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 26,149 ✭✭✭✭Berty

Maybe he assumed you wouldn't overtake ( when he could ) and he wanted you to move over out of his way as well, rather like what trucks "normally" do when they are moving slower than other traffic.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12 tantalum

I expect a garda will call you within a fortnight (usually from a private number so watch out for that). They will ask for your details and re-confirm the complaint for their pulse system so it will appear if the driver is stopped again. What happens after that depends on how far you want to push things but you can ask when they call.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,282 ✭✭✭BlackWizard

It can upset a nice drive when someone rattles you like that.

I don't think anything will happen, but you might feel better if you ring the local Garda station where it happened and explain it to them.

Maybe they might keep these sort of things on record against the driver if anything more serious does come up :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 4,386 ✭✭✭EKRIUQ

SV wrote: »
    If you couldn't overtake with the spray and the cars coming against you then how on earth did he pass you and the truck?

It's not that I wasn't able to overtake I'm well able to do that, it was because it wasn't safe to overtake there's a difference.

I've reported it for now and I'll let it take it's course, and it will all depend on if this was a once off occasion for the driver and was in a huge hurry that would excuse his actions I'll forget about it, but if this driver has a string of road traffic offences and a history I'll have no qualms about pursing it.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,818 ✭✭✭✭Anan1

A similar thing happened to my mother years ago, she got a call back from a Garda shortly afterwards to tell her that 'it's too late, ma'am, he's already had his accident.'

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 23,269 ✭✭✭✭mickdw

Sometimes peoples opinions can differ so much that these type of posts must be taken with a pinch of salt. In this case however, the fact that he caused the lorry to brake in such poor conditions really does confirm that it was very poor driving and could have caused an accidient.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,282 ✭✭✭BlackWizard

mickdw wrote: »
    Sometimes peoples opinions can differ so much that these type of posts

There does be like some sort of rally call and they all mount up on their high horses.. David Attenborough should narrate it sometime. :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 600 ✭✭✭Rev. BlueJeans

In my experience, and I've reported a few slick fringed goons around here who drive sh1t cars about like twats, the gardai will expect you to make a statement before they take a case against them.

However I assume there's nothing stopping them from updating PULSE with the details of the report otherwise.

Maybe one of the members (there were enough about last week!) can confirm this.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,368 ✭✭✭Dartz

This is why I'm working on a new invention.

A switch which mounts on the steering wheel, which hooks up to the brake lights. Call it a brake-test switch. It tells you your lights are working with a nice little LED.

And gives tailgaters a real brown trouser moment.

Advertisement