Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Irish Broadband Issue

Options
  • 04-12-2009 2:39pm
    Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 8,766 Mod ✭✭✭✭

hi, might be a bit of a read in this, but here is my issue...
    i have had irish broadband DSL for over 2 years, never had a problem with it, i do a lot of online xbox gaming and it's always been solid. about 10 months ago i got bumped up from 1.5m down to 7.5m down, and was still stable

until 2 weeks ago, when i started getting what is like serious lag in games at night...everything is fine for about 5/6 seconds, then everything just seems to stop, for about 2 seconds then is fine again

so i ran ping tests at www.pingtests.net.if i run 5 in a row 3 out of 5 ping tests will give readings in the 41ms ping 2 ms jitter range. next one while the test is running will start with those numbers, but by the time it finishes they can both be as high as the 300 range. tracert shows it' the first hop doing the damage

now, this only happens between 8 and 11 at night, so i'm thinking contention. i rang IBB( well imagine now i guess) and they got me to get eircom to run a line test, which i did, no problems. i disconnected everything from the line, connected the router to the main phone point, no improvement. i bought a new router, no improvement. yesterday i rang IBB and they tried dropping my connection to 6m down, no improvement. so now they have logged a fault with eircom and they will check the line. thing is the line is fine a lot of the time, which makes me doubt it is a line fault

so, am i right in thinking this is purely a contention issue? i keep asking IBB this and they keep telling me it is definitely not contention, is this just to keep me as a customer? have to say they have been very polite and helpful, but is it possible this is something other than contention, or am i just faced with trying to get a new provider?

thanks in advance for any replies

Comments

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 8,766 Mod ✭✭✭✭mossym

no one? was on over the weekend during the day,was perfect until i was on last night at 9, wasn't on saturday night to know if it was bad then too

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,713 ✭✭✭✭jor el

Contention or capacity at the exchange. There's nothing you can do about that, as it's not a fault.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 8,766 Mod ✭✭✭✭mossym

well that blows. i'm guessing that means chaning provider will have no effect as it'll still be going through the same exchange...

Advertisement