Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Nissan 300zx

Options
  • 04-12-2009 2:33pm
    Registered Users Posts: 703 ✭✭✭

Hi,

Im thinking about getting a new car, id like something with a big engine, 3L+ at the moment im thinking maybe a 300zx, i have always like them. I was told years ago that they are rubbish, too heavy and slow with terrible handling though just reading about them a little that doesn't seem to be true. Just wondering if anyone here has had one or has any opinions on them. Im not sure about NA or TT, petrol costs is not too much of an issue really as i do very little driving.

Thanks,

Rowan

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,473 ✭✭✭robtri

rowanh wrote: »
    Hi,

Im thinking about getting a new car, id like something with a big engine, 3L+ at the moment im thinking maybe a 300zx, i have always like them. I was told years ago that they are rubbish, too heavy and slow with terrible handling though just reading about them a little that doesn't seem to be true. Just wondering if anyone here has had one or has any opinions on them. Im not sure about NA or TT, petrol costs is not too much of an issue really as i do very little driving.

Thanks,

Rowan

IMHO.... if you geeting this baby... it needs to be the twin turbo manual.....
    it is quick, handling isn't great, but its not bad either.....

• Registered Users Posts: 2,891 ✭✭✭Kersh

Great cars, I have had 2, still own one, (its for sale on adverts) - Very quick cars, and reliable too. Steering is a bit heavy and slow to react though, like as if the ratio in the rack isnt great.

Dont listen to all the crap about it having to be manual, the autos are super, and no turbo lag ever, cos you dont have to lift to change gear :D , plus they are great in traffic.

Dont get the non turbo . . if you are gonna pay 1400 a year tax, it may as well have 2 turbos strapped to it.

• Registered Users Posts: 51,144 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

Twin Turbo for what it's worth.

Kersh wrote: »
    Dont listen to all the crap about it having to be manual, the autos are super, and no turbo lag ever, cos you dont have to lift to change gear :D , plus they are great in traffic.

thats a lot of rubbish.... sorry but its a sports car... it needs a manual .....
    i have driven both versions and the manual is better by far......

thats a lot of rubbish

You reckon . . I dont. Manuals drop boost every time you clutch them. Autos dont. Why were f1 cars autos for years? Are they not real drivers cars? :rolleyes:

And what about all the auto 911s... are they not sports cars? Or the Astons?

I think you are just one of those rock eating knuckle dragging guys who thinks all cars need v8s and manual boxes :D , always hangin out of their 'stick' :pac:

• Advertisement

You reckon . . I dont. Manuals drop boost every time you clutch them. Autos dont. Why were f1 cars autos for years? Are they not real drivers cars? :rolleyes:

I think you are just one of those rock eating knuckle dragging guys who thinks all cars need v8s and manual boxes :D , always hangin out of their 'stick' :pac:

hey everybody to their own.... its just my opinion on the 300zx......

Ye I know ;) , all the manual ones I went to see, both here and Uk, 16 in total, had been ragged to death, so i got autos, they were always in better condition. Great cars for not a lot of money.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,981 ✭✭✭✭Cuddlesworth

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kTgXky5ntEo

One of the worlds best touring car drivers doesn't like Autos in some cars. But I suppose he doesn't know what he is talking about.

One of the worlds best touring car drivers

Just the one then :rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

To the OP, remember, owning and living with any car is way different to driving them for a day - People saying, 'I have driven this or that' have ususlly only had the car a short while.

Also, I wouldn really be worried about how a car 'handles' , cos people rarely get to enjoy any cars handling on the roads. Plus it depends what said driver is looking for. I like cars to neither under nor over steer. The jap crowd love over steer etc , so it really wont make a differnce in the real world.

Unless you mean handle as in comfort, in which case get an XK8 or an XKR.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 752 ✭✭✭JimmyCrackCorn!

Therese a big differences between auto boxes.

SMG/Tiptronic/DSG/Sport Paddle shift types well worth it.
    Id rather have a dog box personally but meh.

There is a massive difference between the above and the auto box in a bottom end diesel merc

BTW @ OP

Do your research first.
    Buy a bad 300zx TT and your looking as very big bills.

Buy a good one and you'll love it

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 65 ✭✭Viejo Zorro

Is there a sequential gearbox kit available from Quaife? I know they did one for the R34 Rb26 Skyline, but I'm sure it could do it for a Zed car...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,340 ✭✭✭Cmar-Ireland

I remember looking at a few 300ZX TT's years ago. A mechanic friend told me you could throw a handfull of peanuts into the engine bay and none would hit the ground.

I bought a Supra instead!!!

But seriously, they are a lovely car, big and powerful. But whatever you do, make sure you buy a minter, cos if anything goes wrong the bills will be big !

• Registered Users Posts: 703 ✭✭✭rowanh

Hi, thanks for the input, i wouldnt consider an automatic, i dont like them at all though each to their own. I have heard they are very expensive to have work done on, ill certainly drive one and see what i think though someone was telling me today increases in fuel tax, road tax and a new carbon tax are coming in next weeks budget which is not ideal. I guess now is a good time to drive large engined cars though as costs will only go up as time goes by..

• Registered Users Posts: 222 ✭✭golfdiva

What about a Mitsi GTO , I think they look far less dated tham a 300zx.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,262 ✭✭✭Vertakill

I was looking into switching my car for one of these a wihle ago.

I wasn't a huge fan of the styling but I was pretty smitten with the idea of a 2+2 with the targa top but, I think, those only came in auto's. I'm not 100% sure on that.
    I'd prefer the manual myself but in saying that, I haven't heard any major issues with the auto on it.

The choice is a no brainer between NA/TT. The NA is just pointless in my opinion, just like the NA Supra. If you're in Ireland and planning on paying the tax for a 3litre and the petrol to go with it, it makes absolutely no sense to go NA considering the similar costs between the two compared to the massive power increase.

If anything, I'd be very biased on the Z side but I found myself steering more toward a Supra TT after a while. In saying all that, I did neither. :P
    golfdiva wrote: »
    What about a Mitsi GTO , I think they look far less dated tham a 300zx.

EDIT: Woops, you said GTO and not FTO.

The 300ZX > GTO imo. Probably doesn't piss over it but still. GTO is just way way too heavy and you're losing a lot of the power due to the AWD and the fact it's just so overweight, as a result of the AWD/4WS (although it is surprisingly quick in a straight line). Meant to be pretty nifty with 4WS but ... seriously, Supra again comes to mind when making a choice.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,340 ✭✭✭Cmar-Ireland

I would go for a Supra.
    UK spec if you can find one.

• Registered Users Posts: 703 ✭✭✭rowanh

Id say the TT is the way to go, id like to have a relativly powerful large engined NA car though, maybe not with this.. Id actually much prefer a Supra, i cant afford one though, my budget would be around 3k.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 92 ✭✭jayotala

I've had a few of these, great cars. Stay away from the auto. Twin turbo manual is the only way to go. My first one was an auto, never again, completly different car to the manual. They are very fast cars, take a bit of getting used to when it comes to handling, too much power on a bend or in the wet and you'll be looking at the back end as it passes you by. Very comfy cars, they are heavy but when the right foot is down, it makes no difference. I love em. Think I might get another one now...

I've had impreza's, B4's, and an evo. The 300zx was by far my fave.

Advertisement