Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

14 week old pup

Options
  • 04-12-2009 2:26pm
    Registered Users Posts: 530 ✭✭✭

We have her a month today and she is brill:),the only thing im cocerned about is that she has started digging in the back garden ,now that dosent really bother me as its all little one BUT she has discovered my small little flowerbed that i started last year and all i can say is she is on her way to china and has removed most of my bulbs and dormant flowers on her way there... Is there anything i can put down to stop her emigrating down the hole??:)Obviously nothing that ill be harmful to my kids ,pets or wildlife just somethng to diswade her from digging,,:rolleyes:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,861 ✭✭✭Irishcrx

The only thing I can suggest is putting a fence around your flower bed, she is a dog and she will dig it's part of the package and you can't watch her 24/7, my back garden is completely upturned from him digging, he did however help me dig the holes for the clothes line...Thanks Busker!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 782 ✭✭✭Paul91

we've recently lost our back garden to the six pups, mom and uncle Tyson - anyone looking for a spa treatment, I can offer mud baths at a slashed rate!

I think once they discover digging it's time to segregate or capitulate

• Registered Users Posts: 530 ✭✭✭joyce2009

Irishcrx wrote: »
    The only thing I can suggest is putting a fence around your flower bed, she is a dog and she will dig it's part of the package and you can't watch her 24/7, my back garden is completely upturned from him digging, he did however help me dig the holes for the clothes line...Thanks Busker!
    Yeah was thinking of using her to re-dig the vegie patch for next years crop,,we were going to extend it any way...oh well:D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,710 ✭✭✭lrushe

I have three dogs so I have 2 thirds of my backgarden in patio slabs (easier to wash down) where my dogs are and a piece of fenced off lawns for me and my plants. My older dogs can be trusted but my 5 month old is still only 50/50, there has been some plant casulties!!!:D She is getting better with age though and the older she gets the more she can be excerised to drain her energy. In the meantime the only thing I can really suggest is good discipline, a good fence and sharp eyes!!!:)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,852 ✭✭✭ncmc

My dog used to do this and I heard a good tip about burying their poo in the soil. Apparently, while dogs will eat other dogs poo :eek: they actually don't go near their own.

Well, it all sounded a bit crackpot to me, but I tried it and it actually worked! The only time she dug was when the poo had been there a while and had lost it's scent. So I would recommend keeping it fresh! I know it sounds mad, but it really works and is free! Shouldn't harm your plants either :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 124 ✭✭cianer

Hey, I have the same problems, between my own 6 dogs and various foster pups! What I did was create a little digging pit for the dogs, as well as fence off the flower beds until they got into their pit.

The idea is that you bury treats and toys in the digging pit and divert their attention there so they leave the rest of the garden alone, it works well. Sometimes trying to just stop them is like banging your head off a wall. Dogs are natural diggers and some breeds are worse than others! I did a pit for my sisters dog when he started pulling the neighbours plants under the fence by the roots, mortifying as you can imagine! (Very funny for us though, the idea of neighbours plants disappearing into the ground!)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 545 ✭✭✭ghost_ie

I don't have a problem with digging but how do I get 2 Jack Russells to stop eating Michaelmas Daisies? They leave the other plants and flowers alone but can be found quite happily gnawing on Michaelmas Daisies every summer and autumn. Between them they've destroyed 5 of them this year alone. The lab/collie cross has never gone near them - it's only the JR's who are aged 7 and 2

• Closed Accounts Posts: 43 Furious_Daz

ncmc wrote: »
    My dog used to do this and I heard a good tip about burying their poo in the soil. Apparently, while dogs will eat other dogs poo :eek: they actually don't go near their own.

Well, it all sounded a bit crackpot to me, but I tried it and it actually worked! The only time she dug was when the poo had been there a while and had lost it's scent. So I would recommend keeping it fresh! I know it sounds mad, but it really works and is free! Shouldn't harm your plants either :)

This is untrue, my beagle eats his own poo whenever he gets the chance but doesn't go near other dogs...

• Registered Users Posts: 4,852 ✭✭✭ncmc

This is untrue, my beagle eats his own poo whenever he gets the chance but doesn't go near other dogs...

There's always one :D!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,429 ✭✭✭✭star-pants

It is quite common for dogs to eat and roll in their own poo, horse and fox poo seem to be popular to roll in too.
    To stop them eating their own, putting small amount of pineapple in appears to be the advice people have given before. Eating other dogs poo - just be vigilant and keep a close eye as much as possible.

Stopping dogs digging up your plants... chicken wire or something similar to block them off, ok it's not overly pretty but you can get green type ones too. Dogs like to dig, so it's just a case of trying to keep them away.

• Advertisement
Advertisement