Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Anti Mast Muppets . Read This

Options
  • 04-12-2009 12:33pm
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 25,234 ✭✭✭✭

The Nordics have had mobile phones , on a large scale, since the 1980s . They had a special mobile phone network, now closed, before GSM came out here and in scandinavia.

If there was ANY evidence that mobiles were dangerous it should show in scandinavia first

http://www.smh.com.au/digital-life/mobiles/no-tumour-link-to-mobile-phones-says-study-20091204-kaqs.html
    A very large, 30-year study of just about everyone in Scandinavia shows no link between mobile phone use and brain tumours, researchers reported on Thursday.

Even though mobile telephone use soared in the 1990s and afterward, brain tumours did not become any more common during this time, the researchers reported in the Journal of the National Cancer Institute.

The average 800W microwave oven in your own house is 1600 times more powerful than a mobile phone in a BAD signal area and about 16000 times more powerful than a mobile phone in a GOOD signal area.....you thick luddite muppets I don't hear ye calling for tests and studies on Microwave ovens do I ??? :( Morons !!!!

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/health/8393884.stm
    Isabelle Deltour, of the Danish Cancer Society in Copenhagen who led the study said the lack of a detectable increase in tumour rates up to 2003 may suggest that the time it takes for cancer to develop from mobile phone use is longer than 10 years of exposure or that the number of tumours it promotes is too small to be detected.
    She said: "Our results extend those of previous studies of time trends up to 1998 by adding five years of follow-up.
    "Because of the high prevalence of mobile phone exposure in this population and worldwide, longer follow-up of time trends in brain tumour incidence is warranted."
    Further research
    Dr Alison Ross, Cancer Research UK's senior science information officer, agreed that further research was needed: "Overall, the scientific evidence tells us that using mobile phones for less than 10 years does not increase the risk of cancer and this large study supports that conclusion.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,858 ✭✭✭paulm17781

While I don't believe that phone networks cause cancer, this study is on phone use not masts. Anti-mast muppets are muppets but this study has nothing to do with them.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 25,234 ✭✭✭✭Sponge Bob

I have no issue with aesthetic arguments against masts, they look ugly and that is that .

However there is no danger from the technology they carry .

• Registered Users Posts: 9,448 ✭✭✭weisses

After that global warming scam !!!!

for all i know nokia funded this research .... no I'm not a muppet ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,858 ✭✭✭paulm17781

Sponge Bob wrote: »
    I have no issue with aesthetic arguments against masts, they look ugly and that is that .

However there is no danger from the technology they carry .

I agree however the article you've posted has no mention of masts. It is about phones.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 546 ✭✭✭Komplett: Marc

I'm really glad someone mentioned the ugliness... I fear I'm developing a tumour from just the ugliness somtimes ;)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 36 Kriebie

Sponge Bob wrote: »
    you thick luddite muppets I don't hear ye calling for tests and studies on Microwave ovens do I ??? :( Morons !!!!

Would you volunteer to press an unshielded microwave against your ear for such a study? The (seemingly large) difference in radiation power does not mean anything at all in this context. You should compare the power of a shielded microwave at 1 meter distance to a mobile phone at 1 cm distance: the phone wins with ease, even in good signal conditions.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 19,340 CMod ✭✭✭✭Davy

Correct me if im wrong, but aren't they powered down before climbing on the mast?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 921 ✭✭✭mehmeh12

As someone who lives in a area with a very visible mast, i have to be part of the anti mast brigade. Many of the people where i live really want the mast in question to be gone-its a absolute eyesore and it might cause cancer. Furthermore Mary Hannafin says the mast in question was put up without planning permission from the council and so must be removed. I cannot wait until they get rid of that giant plank of wood in my sky.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,874 ✭✭✭✭PogMoThoin

mehmeh12 wrote: »
    As someone who lives in a area with a very visible mast, i have to be part of the anti mast brigade. Many of the people where i live really want the mast in question to be gone-its a absolute eyesore and it might cause cancer. Furthermore Mary Hannafin says the mast in question was put up without planning permission from the council and so must be removed. I cannot wait until they get rid of that giant plank of wood in my sky.

Nimbyism at its finest, You'll also complain when Your mobile fone doesn't work

• Closed Accounts Posts: 921 ✭✭✭mehmeh12

PogMoThoin wrote: »
    Nimbyism at its finest, You'll also complain when Your mobile fone doesn't work

And whats wrong with nimbyism?

People in my area have paid craploads for overvalued houses, tax and electricity and every other local service-why should the local people in area have no say in its development or lack thereof?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,918 ✭✭✭Steffano2002

I don't know about you but I'm terrified of microwaves! I try not to use them and if I have to I leave the room while it's running! Better safe than sorry I guess!

As for mobile phones, I try to use the loudspeaker as much as I can. I'm not often on it to be honest...

However I do smoke and seen as no studies have yet linked smoking to cancer I think it's safe.

What's that? Smoking causes cancer? Nobody told me!

Ohhhh....... Yeah... It's written on the pack, you're right

• Registered Users Posts: 9,235 ✭✭✭lucernarian

Hah, I know of an area in Raheny where I can't use my phone on O2 reliably, nor can my friend use his meteor phone well either. Coverage used to be great until a mast on top of a hotel was taken down because it had no planning permission. Or something like that.

Also, I think SB was talking about shielded microwave ovens. Automatically, they have to be shielded due to the detrimental effects of faulty or absent shielding.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,470 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

The people that say it might cause cancer do they own or use a mobile phone? :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,713 ✭✭✭✭jor el

Cabaal wrote: »
    The people that say it might cause cancer do they own or use a mobile phone? :)

I wonder what percentage of anti-mast people smoke, or live with someone that smokes?

• Registered Users Posts: 651 ✭✭✭Blackdragon

Do you get 3G off that mast?
    If so, when they arrive to remove it, can you send them my way please - i have the right spot for it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,120 ✭✭✭wheresmybeaver

jor el wrote: »
    I wonder what percentage of anti-mast people smoke, or live with someone that smokes?

Brings to mind this classic piece of silliness...

• Registered Users Posts: 931 ✭✭✭Xennon

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 19,340 CMod ✭✭✭✭Davy

Xennon wrote: »

I know of about 5 of these around dublin, haven't come across one outside the pale

• Registered Users Posts: 4,205 ✭✭✭digiman

Davy wrote: »
    I know of about 5 of these around dublin, haven't come across one outside the pale

There is one on the Nenagh by pass on the left hand side going to Limerick. Can't think of any others off hand. May not be any others. There are quite a few of these in Dublin and lots of other stealth solutions around the city with masts that look like flagpoles, chimneys, inside the price info display at petrol stations etc..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,679 ✭✭✭Freddie59

paulm17781 wrote: »
    I agree however the article you've posted has no mention of masts. It is about phones.

The mast won't be a half-centimetre from your brain.:rolleyes: For hours on end in some instances, depending on the user.

• Advertisement

I'm terrified of microwaves!

Ah right. So you don't have a mobile then.

As for mobile phones, I try to use the loudspeaker as much as I can.
    :rolleyes:

it might cause cancer.

Again, I take it you don't have a mobile, don't smoke, and don't drink. And won't eat food containing suspected cancer agents then?:D

• Registered Users Posts: 14,555 ✭✭✭✭Marlow

digiman wrote: »
    There is one on the Nenagh by pass on the left hand side going to Limerick. Can't think of any others off hand. May not be any others. There are quite a few of these in Dublin and lots of other stealth solutions around the city with masts that look like flagpoles, chimneys, inside the price info display at petrol stations etc..

Check the housewall of one of the buildings in Merchants Road in Galway. Sector there was put up and painted, while they were painting the whole wall.

Obviously, nobody spotted it, because the scaffolding was covered at the time and since it's the same color as the wall very few people have spotted it since.

/M

Advertisement