Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ca bhfuil Damien Rice??

Options
  • 04-12-2009 1:24am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 110 ✭✭

Where is he? I've not heard from him in ages, most I heard was that he played a gig in Trinity or something in September.
    Is he recording a new album?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 484 ✭✭Takk

Twilighter wrote: »
    I've not heard from him in ages

Maybe give him a call?

He did a couple of gigs in Iceland in November. Recorded and filmed some new material.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 649 ✭✭✭fillmore jive

Someone told me that he's living up in a cottage in the Wicklah mountains somewhere.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,558 ✭✭✭✭Creamy Goodness

He's off taking about gazllion years to write a mediocre album that when released everyone will think he's an absolute genius that posses red wine so devine.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,846 ✭✭✭siltirocker

He was gigging in Doyle's w/ Glen Hansard at the end of September. Asked me to pass him the Mi-Wadi. While i was passing, i asked him "Any new recordings?". He then replied with "Why don't you **** off, mind your own business and check myspace". Turned back to where he was before. I was with someone (slightly important to Mr. Rice's music career) at the time, who Damien recognised i was with and sent us over a round of drinks. Came over and apologised, tried to give us his picks & setlists but the damage was done Damien. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,436 ✭✭✭phelixoflaherty

Did he win the oscar?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,049 ✭✭✭Driver 8

He's shaking his fist in anger at any posters for Lisa Hannigan's album/gigs :P

• Registered Users Posts: 123 ✭✭roarlad

He was gigging in Doyle's w/ Glen Hansard at the end of September. Asked me to pass him the Mi-Wadi. While i was passing, i asked him "Any new recordings?". He then replied with "Why don't you **** off, mind your own business and check myspace". Turned back to where he was before. I was with someone (slightly important to Mr. Rice's music career) at the time, who Damien recognised i was with and sent us over a round of drinks. Came over and apologised, tried to give us his picks & setlists but the damage was done Damien. :D

saw him play the ruby sessions birthday celebrations in Doyles, played a new song or two with Glen Hansard. the talk was that there's a new album in the works out sometime in the new year prob March at the earliest.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14 House9

Yeh I saw him at the trinity gig during the first week of oct but as far as I can remember he didnt really mention anything much about a new album. In fact one point he made very clear was that what he hated the most about the music industry was the pressure of continually producing new stuff and being told what to do all the time by record companies.

• Registered Users Posts: 530 ✭✭✭Placid_Casual

House9 wrote: »
    Yeh I saw him at the trinity gig during the first week of oct but as far as I can remember he didnt really mention anything much about a new album. In fact one point he made very clear was that what he hated the most about the music industry was the pressure of continually producing new stuff and being told what to do all the time by record companies.

2 albums in 8 years suggests he's doing a pretty good job of avoiding that particular pressure.

• Registered Users Posts: 524 ✭✭✭Jordonvito

Driver 8 wrote: »
    He's shaking his fist in anger at any posters for Lisa Hannigan's album/gigs :P

Hes half the man without her. Sea Sew is absolute musical bliss. Rice peaked at O, 9 was average bar a couple of tunes, dont expect much from this album.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 22,559 ✭✭✭✭AnonoBoy

He then replied with "Why don't you **** off, mind your own business and check myspace".

Sounds about right for him so it does. :rolleyes:

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 11,360 Mod ✭✭✭✭lordgoat

Jordonvito wrote: »
    Hes half the man without her. Sea Sew is absolute musical bliss. Rice peaked at O, 9 was average bar a couple of tunes, dont expect much from this album.

Just for some balance.

Sea seew is pretty meh and takes bland to new levels in places. Definitely not musical bliss.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,332 ✭✭✭✭Utopia Parkway

Twilighter wrote: »
    Where is he? I've not heard from him in ages, most I heard was that he played a gig in Trinity or something in September.
    Is he recording a new album?

He was in the paper there last week pictured at some tree hugger gathering. Looked like he had slept in some bushes.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,736 ✭✭✭tech77

There's a fairly candid interview with him in this month's Hot Press- still in love with Lisa Hannigan apparently.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,417 ✭✭✭Miguel_Sanchez

tech77 wrote: »
    There's a fairly candid interview with him in this month's Hot Press- still in love with Lisa Hannigan apparently.

He's not the only one of her past boyfriends who still is.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,846 ✭✭✭siltirocker

He's not the only one of her past boyfriends who still is.

Fcuk, sure i haven't even met her and im in love with her!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,049 ✭✭✭Driver 8

That interview was painful. Did we really need that many pages for an average, pretentious singer-songwriter to winge and moan about missing his ex. I mean, he's probably used up all the material for his next album in that interview ffs :p

• Registered Users Posts: 14,243 ✭✭✭✭SteelyDanJalapeno

Feck, is he really a prick like that?

i taught he was a nice chap!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 650 ✭✭✭Aridstarling

lordgoat wrote: »
    Just for some balance.

Sea seew is pretty meh and takes bland to new levels in places. Definitely not musical bliss.

Nonsense.

Edit: But you're welcome to your own opinion obviously.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,559 ✭✭✭✭AnonoBoy

Driver 8 wrote: »
    That interview was painful. Did we really need that many pages for an average, pretentious singer-songwriter to winge and moan about missing his ex. I mean, he's probably used up all the material for his next album in that interview ffs :p

Ah yeah but sure you really asked for it reading Hotpress in the first place. ;)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,875 ✭✭✭ShoulderChip

he was busking on grafton street today

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 11,360 Mod ✭✭✭✭lordgoat

Horgan wrote: »
    Feck, is he really a prick like that?

i taught he was a nice chap!

See you should really form your own opinion of him, i've met him a few times and he's been nice as pie each time. Once on a 67a just before christmas and he was pleasant to one and all.

Not condoning what he said above, there's no excuse for being rude but sometimes people have bad days and act worse than normally would. I know i've done this in the past and i'm sure everyone else has too.

Also anymore ****e one line insulting posts and there will a christmas ban for the lucky winner. I have no problem with someone expressing an opinion as long as it is a well reasoned one.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 23,089 ✭✭✭✭rovert

In fact one point he made very clear was that what he hated the most about the music industry was the pressure of continually producing new stuff and being told what to do all the time by record companies.

Songwriter code for "Ive writers block :("

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,863 ✭✭✭seachto7

....In fact one point he made very clear was that what he hated the most about the music industry was the pressure of continually producing new stuff and being told what to do all the time by record companies.

Then why doesn't he just jack it in, and go to college, or learn a trade, or get a job somewhere? There's nothing stopping him. I hate musicians, successful usually, who whine about their "job". Robbie Williams was the same. He gave out about being recognised all the time. There was nothing to stop him moving to a small town in the South of Italy if he wanted to get away from it, rather than live in LA. If they only stopped and thought about how silly they sound.....

• Registered Users Posts: 411 ✭✭jk86

seachto7 wrote: »
    Then why doesn't he just jack it in, and go to college, or learn a trade, or get a job somewhere? There's nothing stopping him. I hate musicians, successful usually, who whine about their "job". Robbie Williams was the same. He gave out about being recognised all the time. There was nothing to stop him moving to a small town in the South of Italy if he wanted to get away from it, rather than live in LA. If they only stopped and thought about how silly they sound.....

Meh, everyone has the right to whinge about their "job". Even if your famous!! Shocking, isn't it?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,856 ✭✭✭Valmont

I saw him in Woodies last week. If you hang around there long enough you're bound to bump into him.

• Registered Users Posts: 102 ✭✭Alan Noir

he was holding up grafton street today

yeah saw that

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,863 ✭✭✭seachto7

jk86 wrote: »
    Meh, everyone has the right to whinge about their "job". Even if your famous!! Shocking, isn't it?

True, but how many musicians would love to be in Mr. Rice's position: to be able to earn enough to record and tour from making original music. I'm not necessarily talking about the "fame" part of it really, even though I used Herr Williams as a reference....

If my job description and conditions were: sit around, drink tea, record music, tour the world, play festivals as opposed to getting up at 7am, driving to work, and sitting in front of a computer all day for little or no credit....

Advertisement