Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

What Oil/Filter and Spark Plugs to use on VW Polo 98?

Options
  • 04-12-2009 12:37am
    Registered Users Posts: 334 ✭✭

Hi Folks,

Want to give my car a basic service myself and i'm just wondering if i should be using specific Oil, Spark Plugs and Oil Filter (can't afford to sort air filter etc yet so just starting with the basics) - Oil and Filter in particular need to be changed soon.

And if it does need to be specific anyone know what i should be using or where i can find out?

My car is a 98 VW Polo Classic Saloon.

Thanks!
    DrF

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 22,056 ✭✭✭✭Esel

I'm no expert, but I'd be looking for an SAE 10W40 (or 20W50), API SL or later oil, and it's a good idea to use the manufacturer's oil filter, imo.

If you're on a tight budget though, I'd say a spurious oil filter might save a few euro, and if you just inspect (and regap if necessary) the plugs, then you might be able to afford the air filter (again, spurious one from any motor factors).

At least inspect the air filter - it may be filthy and costing you money every time you fill up!

Not your ornery onager

• Registered Users Posts: 206 ✭✭draward

go to halfords and ask

Mann filters were / maybe still are original equipment filters in VW back when your Polo was new, many factors stock them. A good semi synthetic oil would be perfect for the engine if she isn't using any oil.

draward wrote: »
    go to halfords and ask

Don't ever expect Halfords staff to have a clue about cars, they'd look in the catalogue for a water pump for an old Beetle if you asked do they stock them :D

• Registered Users Posts: 206 ✭✭draward

RoverJames wrote: »
    Don't ever expect Halfords staff to have a clue about cars, they'd look in the catalogue for a water pump for an old Beetle if you asked do they stock them :D

Ha. ok point taken. Look in halfords then and pick up what is needed. You can atleast read the lable

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,686 ✭✭✭JHMEG

Go to your local motor factors and ask for oil, filter and plugs for a 98 Polo.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 58 ✭✭ddarraghh

local motor factors will tell you and sell you what you need
    halfords are very very very expensive best avoided

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,134 ✭✭✭x in the city

DrFroggies wrote: »
    Hi Folks,

Want to give my car a basic service myself and i'm just wondering if i should be using specific Oil, Spark Plugs and Oil Filter (can't afford to sort air filter etc yet so just starting with the basics) - Oil and Filter in particular need to be changed soon.

And if it does need to be specific anyone know what i should be using or where i can find out?

My car is a 98 VW Polo Classic Saloon.

Thanks!
    DrF

an air filter is dirt cheap why not replace it also

• Registered Users Posts: 1,031 ✭✭✭nogoodnamesleft

RoverJames wrote: »

+1, they havent a clue.

• Registered Users Posts: 334 ✭✭DrFroggies

Thanks Lads!!

Dropped into my local motor factors and they saw me right ;-)

• Advertisement
Advertisement