Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What are councils obligations with streetlighting

Options
  • 03-12-2009 11:48pm
    Registered Users Posts: 63 ✭✭

Hi we're starting a new build in the next few weeks. Council want a very big chunk of my savings as "contributions".

I heard somebody mention one time that if there are 8 houses in a row within a certain distance that the council is obliged to provide footpaths and street lighting...is there any truth in this? Can anybody add to it.

They want us to pay the contributions before we build. I don't see why we should pay for services, i.e water, 12-18 months before we even move into the house.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 63 ✭✭KingPuck

Sorry, house will be built 1.5 miles outside town...don't want to say which town yet though...Council officials could be listening...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,948 ✭✭✭gizmo555

KingPuck wrote: »
    Sorry, house will be built 1.5 miles outside town...don't want to say which town yet though...Council officials could be listening...

Is it Killorglin? :)

• Registered Users Posts: 63 ✭✭KingPuck

No Gizzmo it's not. Munster alright.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,046 ✭✭✭archtech

They want us to pay the contributions before we build. I don't see why we should pay for services, i.e water, 12-18 months before we even move into the house.

Its a standard condition to pay contributions before you start to build, as there is no definition within any of the regulations to say when the development is fully complete. .... Is it when the house is occupied or when the landscaping, drive etc is done, which is often sometime after someone moves into the house. It is quiet clear to define what commencement of the development is in the case of a new house.

I would suggest that you should talk to them, they may be acceptable to you paying the contributions in stages. Say pay 25 % on commencement with the rest spread over a set agreed period.

You should note that development contributions usually go up every March (by approximately 8% per year) so putting them on the long finger can be costly.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,546 ✭✭✭✭Poor Uncle Tom

I heard somebody mention one time that if there are 8 houses in a row within a certain distance that the council is obliged to provide footpaths and street lighting...is there any truth in this? Can anybody add to it.
    I've never heard this. Check your development plan regarding rural services.
    This is standard practice for a one off house. You should only be paying contributions for services which are being provided, ie., water, sewerage, surface water, community, parking.....
    If you can/have to provide your own parking, sewerage treatment, water, on site soakaways for surface water, then you will not have to pay for those services.

• Advertisement
Advertisement