Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

VW Car keys found. Help!!!

Options
  • 03-12-2009 10:24pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 98 ✭✭

Hi all,

my cousin found a set of car keys in the back of a taxi last weekend along with a bunch of other keys when in Dublin on the beer. He reckons they're VW Passat keys, new model cus his father in law has one identicle.

He rang me asking if it was at all possible to find out from the keys who owns them. In other words, vw dealer - chassiss number - gards - owner - everyone happy.

I didn't think so but if anyone knows you lot do!!!

Thanks.

p.s. he went to VW dealer in Mullingar where he's from and they fobbed him off, he's a decent bloke and just wants to return not so much the car key but the other ones.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 64,849 ✭✭✭✭unkel

Is he the taxi driver? If not, why did he not give the keys to the taxi driver?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 85 ✭✭ianbrennan2000

My mate lost the keys to his Golf on the weekend. Ill find out what other keys were on ring also. What part of town do you reckon they were found. I pm'd you my number

• Registered Users Posts: 78,267 ✭✭✭✭Victor

fatchance wrote: »
    my cousin found a set of car keys in the back of a taxi
    Its called theft by finding. He should have given them directly to the dirver or Garda.

Take to Garda now.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,944 ✭✭✭pete4130

Victor wrote: »
    Its called theft by finding. He should have given them directly to the dirver or Garda.

Take to Garda now.

Theft needs some form of intent. The fact he has been actively looking to reunite the keys with their owner is a clear sign there is no intent of theft on his part.

• Registered Users Posts: 170 ✭✭B11gt00e

Take to Garda now.

Genuine question here...

Do you expect garda to trace owners of lost car keys handed in to them?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 9,534 ✭✭✭SV

Take to Garda now.

For it to be considered theft it must be proven you had no intention of returning the item to it's rightful owner..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23 xuza

pm sent

• Registered Users Posts: 3,777 ✭✭✭Neilw

Hand the keys into the carrage office, this is the first port of call for someone who has lost or thought they lost something in a taxi.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,567 ✭✭✭daveharnett

B11gt00e wrote: »
    Genuine question here...

Do you expect garda to trace owners of lost car keys handed in to them?
    I'd expect them to hang on the them for a few months in case somebody turns up looking for them. And maybe contact a central person/office who handles lost property.
    Hardly rocket surgery, is it?

Defo not rocket surgery :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 170 ✭✭B11gt00e

RoverJames wrote: »
    Defo not rocket surgery :D
    I'd expect them to hang on the them for a few months in case somebody turns up looking for them. And maybe contact a central person/office who handles lost property.

two rocket surgeons alright:pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,567 ✭✭✭daveharnett

Does anybody have details about a service that will provide a keyfob (with an ID number and instructions), which allows the finder to drop the keys in any postbox, to be returned to the registered owner? I thought I remember hearing about it, but google can't find it.

(In case i just dreamed this up, PATENT PENDING!!)

• Registered Users Posts: 12,675 ✭✭✭✭R.O.R

Does anybody have details about a service that will provide a keyfob (with an ID number and instructions), which allows the finder to drop the keys in any postbox, to be returned to the registered owner? I thought I remember hearing about it, but google can't find it.

We had an ID number on the back of the keyfobs that went on all keys in a previous fleet company I worked for.

Rang it one day to see what happened and the number was no longer in use :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,760 ✭✭✭Theta

Take to Garda now.

As far as I knew theft by finding is an English law and not an Irish one.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,115 ✭✭✭Pdfile

fatchance wrote: »
    Hi all,

my cousin found a set of car keys in the back of a taxi last weekend along with a bunch of other keys when in Dublin on the beer. He reckons they're VW Passat keys, new model cus his father in law has one identicle.

He rang me asking if it was at all possible to find out from the keys who owns them. In other words, vw dealer - chassiss number - gards - owner - everyone happy.

I didn't think so but if anyone knows you lot do!!!

Thanks.

p.s. he went to VW dealer in Mullingar where he's from and they fobbed him off, he's a decent bloke and just wants to return not so much the car key but the other ones.

turn them into the carrige office ?

• Registered Users Posts: 363 ✭✭silver campaign

Some VW dealers might have a new tool being launched called a key reader. Stick the key into it and it'll give details of the car, chassis etc. They will be able to trace the owner from there.

Maybe try VWGI, Liffey Valley for a key reader if you can't find a dealer with one.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,765 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

http://www.stuffbak.com/sb/default.aspx - use these in work
    http://www.cpp.co.uk/ if you've this on your credit card they'll give you keyfobs, or they used to anyway

• Closed Accounts Posts: 98 ✭✭fatchance

Tahnks for the PM's lads, i'll get back to you later when I ring the cousin about what other keys are on the key ring.

As for the theft issue, now come on! He found them pissed getting out of taxi, either they were already on the ground or they fell out, he can't remember, anyway taxi was gone before he knew what he was doing with them.

Guards have enough to be at, keys like that would be thrown in a drawer and forgotten, he's just trying to get them back to owner.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7 extremethinker

Take to Garda now.

finders = keepers :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 659 ✭✭✭The-Game

WTF Who does Rocket Surgery??

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,632 ✭✭✭ART6

The-Game wrote: »
    WTF Who does Rocket Surgery??

NASA

The cousin is ringing whoever PM'd me on the off chance the keys are their's.

My question still stands though.....

You'd imagine given the price of new keys that a main
    dealer would be able scan a key that was found and supply the chassis number to a reputable source (Garda or similar) and then obtain reg and hey presto...ownre.

Doesn't sound like rocker surgery!!...sorry, science to me!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,496 ✭✭✭Mr. Presentable

Why is you cousin hanging on to the keys? Does he have a nationwide network of public offices where the loser might call in looking for them?

Hah, thats what he's doing later, dropping them into a big dark drawer in the Garda Station where they will never see the light of day again. At least his way they may have been reunited with their owner.

Is it worth being a good samaritan when everyone thinks you're either a thief or a do gooder?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,445 ✭✭✭Absurdum

Neilw wrote: »
    Hand the keys into the carrage office, this is the first port of call for someone who has lost or thought they lost something in a taxi.

+1

• Registered Users Posts: 3,684 ✭✭✭david

I'd nearly go to Volkswagen Ireland. From experience AGS are not good at returning lost property.

I reported a lost wallet in Rathmines Garda station in late 2007. In fairness they did call me albeit 18mths later (They had no idea when it was handed in, presumably shortly after the incident, you'd presume they'd have an efficient log of lost property reported and handed in). There was nothing left in it apart from my golf membership card and a loyalty card for Café Sol.

VW Keys are expensive (€200+) so i'd do everything I could to get it to the owner ASAP before (s)he gets a new one recoded.

Advertisement