Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Holles Street V Rotunda

Options
  • 03-12-2009 9:08pm
    Registered Users Posts: 410 ✭✭

Folks I know this may well have been done before, but we are in two minds regarding which hospital to attend in Ireland.

Holles Street V Rotunda

Any research I have done is a bit outdated, would appreciate some recent comments / experiences of both and personal opinions on where you would go.

Thanking You
    J

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 186 ✭✭lalalulu

Hi John.. I had my daughter in holles st 13 month's ago. My experience was ok. I wet public and attended the outpatients clinic for my visit's i wish i had been part of the midwife scheme i've heard great thing's about it from other mammy's, most of the midwives really know their stuff! I had a better experience with the midwive's then the doctor's:rolleyes:
    Soooo the time came to have babs and the midwives were just brillant, they really listened to me and took everything i wanted in to account. Now i think i was lucky i arrived in at 4am and there was only 3 other women in the labour suite, 6 hours later there were 13 women out on the corridor's waiting to give birth! It's scary stuff to see how over crowded our maternity hospital's are and i mean the rotunda, holles st and the coombe are all the same! After i had my daughter and was transferred to the ward the nurse's were fantastic they couldn't do enough for me and babs. Overall holles street is clean, food is nice, and i felt well looked after. It was an overall good experience even though labour was torture :eek:

Best of luck with your babs :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,196 ✭✭✭crazy cat lady

I've worked in Holles St and I'm now attending Holles St. I've every faith and confidence in the Midwives and Doctors there should anything go wrong. It is the referral centre for the rest of Ireland so they are well equipped to deal with emergencies and complications. The NICU is very good too. (Hopefully you won't need them tho!)

I've never worked or even looked into attending any of the other Dublin maternity hospitals so I can't really comment on them.

Which hospital is more convenient for you?

Do you live in an area where you could attend a satellite clinic? Or even attend a midwifery led service?

Feel free to ring both of the hospitals and ask any questions you might have. I believe the Holles St website is quite up to date and has alot of information on it.

I think at the end of the day, all of the hospitals are much of a muchness!

• Registered Users Posts: 410 ✭✭johnc24

I think at the end of the day, all of the hospitals are much of a muchness!

I agree.

But my wife cannot make up her mind where she wants to go!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,865 ✭✭✭✭January

Please don't wait too long or you might end up with an appointment when your wife is over 20 weeks pregnant!

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,953 Mod ✭✭✭✭Moonbeam

I went semi private and private in Holles St.
    I found the staff wonderful and the place nice:)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 18,056 ✭✭✭✭BostonB

Holles St is busy, but the Rotunda seems even busier if possible.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 7,458 Mod ✭✭✭✭CathyMoran

I'm attending Holles Street and the care that I have recieved thus far has been excellent, my pregnancy is very high risk and they have always been on the other end of the phone or there when I needed it.

• Registered Users Posts: 410 ✭✭johnc24

Hi all

just called holles street this morning. got an initial appointement for the 25 February and a scan appointment on the 23 March.

Can scans not be done earlier than this to detect any problems that might have occured?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,196 ✭✭✭crazy cat lady

you can pay for private scans if you wish. They aren't too expensive considering the peace of mind they give you!

We went here:

www.ultrasound.ie

• Closed Accounts Posts: 43,045 ✭✭✭✭Nevyn

johnc24 wrote: »
    Hi all

just called holles street this morning. got an initial appointement for the 25 February and a scan appointment on the 23 March.

Can scans not be done earlier than this to detect any problems that might have occured?

It is due to limited resources both the tech and the people qualified to use it.

• Advertisement
Advertisement