Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Won't insure me because of getting benefit

Options
  • 03-12-2009 9:04pm
    Registered Users Posts: 147 ✭✭

Ok, So my dads buying a group 13 car, went into a insurance company office today to get a quote for my dad with me as named, was stopped in my tracks and told thats not possible as I would be gaining benefit from being named. I once again explained the car is registered in his name, was told no not allowed.

So that logically would me that every person named on a policy is not insured because there gaining benefit from being a named driver.

what the hell?!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,699 ✭✭✭samhail

why are you going in rather than your dad ?
    are you going to be the main driver or is he.

is a 18 year old with no driving experience is going to be the named driver on the insurance then there is more likelihood that they will crash than a father with many years experience.
    If the insurance is put under the fathers name, giving a cheaper quotation, but the son will be driving all the time. the risk for that quotation is not correct.

This used to happen all the time about 8-10 years ago... i was one of those kids ! :) but insurance companies stopped doing this and i was kicked out to get my own insurance.

if you father is going to be driving it all the time, and you only once in a blue moon, then he should be getting the quote.
    im surprised they didnt even tell you that they couldnt give you a quote for someone else.

Does he have another car in his name or will this car be his only car, ie is his ncb going on the car you are being named on ?

• Registered Users Posts: 147 ✭✭Evo

I'm glad I'm not 18 so!

From http://www.citizensinformation.ie/categories/travel-and-recreation/motoring-1/motor-tax-and-insurance/motor_insurance
    Join a parent's insurance as a named driver as early as possible. This will enable you to establish a safety record, which is crucial when you want to apply for insurance in your own name. Some companies offer discounts to young people seeking insurance in their own name if they have been a named driver.

It seems having named driving experience claim free for several years doesn't count for much.

RoverJames, he has a policy on a commercial company vehicle and I'm named on it, for the last 2 years claim free. the NCB would be on the new(for him) car.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,686 ✭✭✭JHMEG

I thought from the thread title they wouldn't insure you cos you're on the dole.

• Registered Users Posts: 147 ✭✭Evo

JHMEG wrote: »
    I thought from the thread title they wouldn't insure you cos you're on the dole.

:p I'm a 3rd level student, maybe that doesn't help?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 659 ✭✭✭The-Game

JHMEG wrote: »

Exactly what i thought when opening this thread.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,822 ✭✭✭✭EPM

Same here...

• Registered Users Posts: 18,272 ✭✭✭✭Atomic Pineapple

Evo wrote: »
    he has a policy on a commercial company vehicle and I'm named on it, for the last 2 years claim free. the NCB would be on the new(for him) car.

He cant use that NCB on the new car if he still has the commercial company vechicle, he also has to go in and get the car insured himself doesn't he?

• Registered Users Posts: 659 ✭✭✭The-Game

draffodx wrote: »
    he also has to go in and get the car insured himself doesn't he?

Yes, he would have to go in person to verify his identity to insure the car, following this he can add the OP as a named driver.

It doesn't work in reverse.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 338 ✭✭Tony Danza

Life's a bitch. Move on.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,401 ✭✭✭✭kippy

EPM wrote: »
    Same here...

+1

• Registered Users Posts: 23,269 ✭✭✭✭mickdw

You made the worst mistake ever.
    Getting the younger driver named on fathers policy means father is to be the main driver and the young person, the occasional driver. Thats why its cheaper.
    For you to go in getting the quote was lunacy. Straight off they knew the car was going to be for you and so told you that you were gaining a cheaper quote by going this way and wouldnt insure you.

If your father had gone in, got his quote and then added you as an occasional driver, they would must likely quote you. The big problem here is if you end up doing all the driving and you happen to claim, they may well find out you were the main driver and refuse to pay out.
    They are bound to pay any third party claims resulting from your actions but if they find you gave false info to get the policy, they can refuse to pay for your car etc and can chase you through the courts for the third party side of it too.

Advertisement