Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Champix side effects(Severe)

Options
  • 03-12-2009 8:53pm
    Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,645 Mod ✭✭✭✭

Been a while since I posted in here but Ive had a bit of a scare that the doc put down to champix and Im wondering if anyone else has had any similar experiences--preferably first hand as I can read sites all day about the side effects but I really want other users first hand experience.

It goes like this.

Ive had to stop the Champix due to some severe side effects.

A few weeks I noticed (well my wife noticed) that I was being quite snappy with her and the kids so I just put it down to bad day etc.
    Gradually it got worse and then I noticed I was getting mood swings ie chirpy and cheery one minute and angry with everything the next.
    Again I put it down to work pressures and the like but a few weeks back I was sitting at home and just broke down for no reason at all-just felt like weight of the world was on my shoulders and I couldnt cope with anything.Next day I was driving to work and contemplated driving the car off a bridge on the way in and all day was looking around where ever I was for ways to off myself--really,really scary ****.Again for no reason whatsoever--just seriously depressed and suicidal.
    Id no reason at all to be like that I mean I have a decent life etc so I gave the doctor a call and apparently Im one of a small minority that can get these symptoms from champix.
    Told me to stop straight away and I have.Im now back to my normal enough self but honestly I was scared to death and dont ever want to go through that again.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 602 ✭✭✭dollyk

same happened me, but it seems we are in the minority

• Registered Users Posts: 1,407 ✭✭✭Promac

There are some real horror stories from people who tried champix. I was lucky - very mild mood swings and some nausea.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,807 ✭✭✭✭Orion

There are always side effects to drugs that affect a minority.

I'd never heard of champix before and I won't be taking it anyway. But I had a look on wikipedia for it. Without belittling your obviously serious symptoms I did think it was funny that common symptoms are "headache, difficulty sleeping, and abnormal dreams". These are symptoms I expect when going cold turkey anyway without any drugs :D Last time I (kind of) quit I experienced headaches and couldn't sleep. I just found it funny that normal addiction deprivation can be considered a side effect of a drug that may help you quit that addiction.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,645 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hellrazer

Macros42 wrote: »
    There are always side effects to drugs that affect a minority.

I'd never heard of champix before and I won't be taking it anyway. But I had a look on wikipedia for it. Without belittling your obviously serious symptoms I did think it was funny that common symptoms are "headache, difficulty sleeping, and abnormal dreams". These are symptoms I expect when going cold turkey anyway without any drugs :D Last time I (kind of) quit I experienced headaches and couldn't sleep. I just found it funny that normal addiction deprivation can be considered a side effect of a drug that may help you quit that addiction.

Been researching this after my first post--seems a lot more common than I first thought.

http://www.thehealthierlife.co.uk/natural-health-articles/healthy-living/champix-side-effects-quit-smoking-01005.html

Even here there was a discussion about the severe side effects :

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055037400

• Registered Users Posts: 605 ✭✭✭vinylbomb

In Canada you'd wanna see the list of side effects that run with ads for Champix - after a one page magazine ad for Champix there is two pages of side effects, and a thirty second ad spot has the same time in side effects (but the narrator is going double speed). They have to list them by law here, a kind of disclaimer.

Champix is scary stuff, I cant believe it is FDA and EU approved.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 384 ✭✭terenc

Went on champix 3 months ago, Felt great the first week, weird dreams on the second week and weird dreams got weirder where I was killing people and seem to enjoy it, drownings figured strongly and usually I was holding someone under and pressing down.
    All very vivid stuff.
    The prescription can be got for 3/28 days and you meet with your doctor between each prescription. I took 1/28 prescription I just got a wee bit scared of what happening to my sleep patterens and the dreams I was having so I stopped taking them.
    Am still of cigarettes and I put that down to the champix which I researched before I took them and knew about the possible side effects, and I would recommend anyone considering taking champix to research the product.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8 jimbob25w

Hellrazer wrote: »
    Been a while since I posted in here but Ive had a bit of a scare that the doc put down to champix and Im wondering if anyone else has had any similar experiences--preferably first hand as I can read sites all day about the side effects but I really want other users first hand experience.

It goes like this.

Ive had to stop the Champix due to some severe side effects.

A few weeks I noticed (well my wife noticed) that I was being quite snappy with her and the kids so I just put it down to bad day etc.
    Gradually it got worse and then I noticed I was getting mood swings ie chirpy and cheery one minute and angry with everything the next.
    Again I put it down to work pressures and the like but a few weeks back I was sitting at home and just broke down for no reason at all-just felt like weight of the world was on my shoulders and I couldnt cope with anything.Next day I was driving to work and contemplated driving the car off a bridge on the way in and all day was looking around where ever I was for ways to off myself--really,really scary ****.Again for no reason whatsoever--just seriously depressed and suicidal.
    Id no reason at all to be like that I mean I have a decent life etc so I gave the doctor a call and apparently Im one of a small minority that can get these symptoms from champix.
    Told me to stop straight away and I have.Im now back to my normal enough self but honestly I was scared to death and dont ever want to go through that again.
    it is because champix at first in 2005 was a anti dipressent(differnt name) but it helped people off smoking so same chemical differnt name ,i took champix to stop smoking ,doc said it is also a anti depresent, i was a bit depresed thats why they worked so well on me no side effects, but if u where not depresed u will have side effects

Advertisement