Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Google now offering a DNS service

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 273 ✭✭Grim_Wreeper

just came on here to post about this!

Anyone use it yet?

• Registered Users Posts: 158 ✭✭kamin99

yeh good one cheers works fine

• Closed Accounts Posts: 921 ✭✭✭mehmeh12

How do the google dns antimalware features compare to those offered by open dns?

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 8,128 Mod ✭✭✭✭Jonathan

The servers are surprisingly fast. I tested them earlier against my isp's DNS servers and there was no more than 5ms in the difference, and in some cases, they were actually faster than my isp's.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,960 ✭✭✭Ranicand

And Google can track every site you go to even when you don't use their spying crappy search engine.

google_spying.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 921 ✭✭✭mehmeh12

You can block these with noscript.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,960 ✭✭✭Ranicand

mehmeh12 wrote: »
    You can block these with noscript.

Thank you downloaded and installed now.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,568 ✭✭✭ethernet

Jonathan wrote: »
    The servers are surprisingly fast. I tested them earlier against my isp's DNS servers and there was no more than 5ms in the difference, and in some cases, they were actually faster than my isp's.
    Noticed this from a few pings as well.

From http://arstechnica.com/security/news/2009/12/google-public-dns-service-not-ideal-for-everyone.ars:
    The routing system simply delivers packets addressed to either address to the closest Google Public DNS location. So users in different places around the world will be talking to different instances of these addresses, making for faster round-trip times, which is important for good DNS performance. This mechanism is called anycast.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,622 ✭✭✭Kevin!

I've changed my DNS to googles, but what are the advantages?

cheers,

Kev

• Registered Users Posts: 562 ✭✭✭ro2

Kevin! wrote: »
    I've changed my DNS to googles, but what are the advantages?

There's no advantage unless your ISP has dodgy DNS servers.

Looks like they have servers in Dublin:

Tracing the route to google-public-dns-a.google.com (8.8.8.8)

1 inex.google.com (193.242.111.57) [AS 2128] 0 msec 4 msec 0 msec
    2 72.14.239.132 [AS 15169] 0 msec 0 msec 12 msec
    3 72.14.232.241 [AS 15169] 0 msec 4 msec
    64.233.174.185 [AS 15169] 0 msec
    4 216.239.49.126 [AS 15169] 16 msec
    216.239.49.114 [AS 15169] 4 msec 8 msec
    5 google-public-dns-a.google.com (8.8.8.8) [AS 15169] 0 msec 0 msec 0 msec

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Help & Feedback Category Moderators Posts: 25,157 CMod ✭✭✭✭Spear

Curious that these Google DNS servers aren't using Google IP's....

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 8,128 Mod ✭✭✭✭Jonathan

Google DNS servers vs BT Ireland DNS servers.

http://pastebin.com/f26d11fa2

• Registered Users Posts: 1,622 ✭✭✭Kevin!

Jonathan wrote: »
    Google DNS servers vs BT Ireland DNS servers.

http://pastebin.com/f26d11fa2

I'm not very good at reading that log, but would you be able to explain in simple terms which one is better, as I am also with BT Ireland.

cheers,

Kev

Kevin! wrote: »
    I'm not very good at reading that log, but would you be able to explain in simple terms which one is better, as I am also with BT Ireland.

cheers,

Kev
    The areas I highlighted are the bits to look at.

dig @8.8.8.8 --> Google
    dig @89.19.64.164 --> BT Ireland
    The response for each command is highlighted below it.

The difference is negligible really. 4 msec difference at most.

I'd stay with BT.

Spear wrote: »
    I wonder who owns them? :P

• Registered Users Posts: 590 ✭✭✭blaz

Level3 own the whole 8.0.0.0 block.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,886 ✭✭✭cgarvey

I've tested around 1,000 queries now, over my Digiweb connection at peak and off-peak.

By test, I mean a query, rather than just pinging.

For popular domains that should be cached (and I requested them before my tests, to make sure they wer), the average fastest was Google, then OpenDNS, and last my ISP Digiweb. For uncached, OpenDNS, Digiweb and then Google. Given that the vast majority of requests for the vast majority of users will be cached, Google seems to have the upper hand. For uncached queries, there were a number of large (multi-100ms) spikes which skewed the results. If they sort those out, then they'll be a DNS service to contend with. They've stated what they'll do with the data, so now it's up to you as to whether you believe them or not.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,568 ✭✭✭ethernet

Spear wrote: »
    They are more memorable though. Win!

Advertisement