Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Car that will fit 3 child seats in the back

Options
  • 03-12-2009 4:34pm
    Registered Users Posts: 4

My 10 year old BMW is on its last legs (head gasket, hope it keeps going till after xmas) so unfortunatly I'll need to go looking for a replacement.
    We will be expecting our third child in the new year which means we will needing a car that can fit 3 child seats. I could go down the mpv route but I would prefer a car.
    I was thinking about a liftback avensis, about 04 or 05. They look like they are big enough but I'm not sure.
    Has anyone any experiance with this arrangement in an avensis or in other cars, it doesn't have to be an avensis.
    My budget is about 10 K so I know that this will limit my options.

Thanks.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,696 ✭✭✭trad

Ford Cmax and Smax and I think a zafira. There are probably others.

• Registered Users Posts: 11 Gopher971

A6 have them as well. Older models from the UK are not too expensive.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,062 ✭✭✭cjt156

We've got three kids and our family car is a V70. Mondeo is very wide too. Don't forget large estates if you're not a people carrier type.

• Registered Users Posts: 64,775 ✭✭✭✭unkel

What type of child seats?

I've found that most d-class cars (Mondeo, Vectra, Avensis, Rover 75, 3-series, etc.) and bigger with 3 3-point seatbelts will take a full babyseat and two high back booster seats. In a car the size of a BMW 5-series, Audi A6 or Merc E-class there should be plenty of space. Of all the cars I mentioned you can buy a very decent one for your budget.

Try to fit the seats before you buy though!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,701 ✭✭✭Mr.David

Three words:

Octavia - Kids - Boot.

Sorted :cool:

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3 Ballagh

We used this co. in the UK. http://www.multimac.co.uk/home
    Now we can fit 4 kids comfortably (and legally) in the back of my wifes 3 series touring. Saved us having to shell out for a new car.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,672 ✭✭✭✭R.O.R

Mr.David wrote: »
    Three words:

Octavia - Kids - Boot.

Sorted :cool:

You can't put kids in the boot :rolleyes::eek: :D

Always welcome the Octavia suggestion, but I doubt it's wide enough for 3 child seats.

We had this query in work for someone who needed to put 3 full size baby seats in. Ended up putting him in to a Touran as the middle row of seats move independantly. Slide the middle seat forward and the 2 outer seats back and the child seats don't even rub off each other.

Added advantage of a pretty big boot for all the prams etc when the last row of seats are down, or having the 3rd row of seats up occasionally for the Grandparents etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 64,775 ✭✭✭✭unkel

R.O.R wrote: »
    Always welcome the Octavia suggestion, but I doubt it's wide enough for 3 child seats.

I've had one full baby seat and two high back boosters in an Octavia and it fitted, but the seats were rubbing against each other. Far from ideal...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,222 ✭✭✭robbie_998

Renualt Senic - big, safe and 7 seats too if needed or a very big boot and good reliability.

or the renualt Espace is bigger than the senic with all the same stuff

• Registered Users Posts: 1,012 ✭✭✭route66

robbie_998 wrote: »
    Renualt Senic - big, safe and 7 seats too if needed or a very big boot and good reliability.

:confused:

Sure you're not talking about a Toyota Verso?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,222 ✭✭✭robbie_998

route66 wrote: »
    :confused:

Sure you're not talking about a Toyota Verso?

Toyota verso is smaller back seat wise

• Closed Accounts Posts: 104 ✭✭Waynecarr

S-Max will take 3 car seats as will the honda frv

• Registered Users Posts: 1,356 ✭✭✭jaggiebunnet

robbie_998 wrote: »
    Toyota verso is smaller back seat wise

Verso takes 3 seats no problem.

And is a definitely more reliable than my last renault!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,730 ✭✭✭E39MSport

XC90 has 3 iso in the middle row afaik. My bro did all the research/testing for his triplets and went with the volvo. Leaves him room for prams etc and even one more passenger in the rear along with the prams etc.

Sorry - just saw the pref for standard car....

• Registered Users Posts: 2,903 ✭✭✭cadaliac

Citroen C5 estate - I think will take 3, but I'm not too sure.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,863 ✭✭✭✭crosstownk

Citroën C4 Picasso has 3 individual seats in the rear/middle. 3 child seats can be easily accomodated.

As for the C5 Tourer (estate) it has the same rear seat as the saloon and (like most saloons) it will take 3 child seats but you'll never get the seat belts engaged. ISOFIX is not present on the centre seat in the rear of the C5.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,366 ✭✭✭ninty9er

Skoda Superb
    Not a bad compromise if the Octavia doesn't suit.

Volvo S80
    V70 Saloon. See previous posts for recommendations on that.

Toyota Camry
    Being picked up second-hand by taxi-drivers now, a surefire sign that they're bulletproof. Although the 2.4 petrol can't be frugal. It's a car you either like or don't, but you might pick up a run-out 04 model somewhere. There's a 03 on Carzone priced at €5,900 that you could probably get for €4,900.

• Registered Users Posts: 92 ✭✭broro22

if goin for skoda go superb but the avenis is probably your best bet

• Registered Users Posts: 1,543 ✭✭✭tinner777

my three fit in a zafaria and the boot is handy as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,222 ✭✭✭Scruff

broro22 wrote: »
    if goin for skoda go superb but the avenis is probably your best bet

i would say the superb would be better as the boot is a dual saloon\hatchback solution and the avensis is just a saloon. IMO hatchbacks or estates are better when lugging kids around for ease of access to the boot.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 73,382 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

you won't fit 3 seats in an Avensis or Camry as the bolstering on the seat cushion means you can't sit a seat out on the edge.

Verso (7 seat) is wider inside than these and because it has 3 flat seats you can get 3 in no problem.

Apparently you can get 3 in a Nissan Tino as well - so there's 1 reason to buy one :)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,724 ✭✭✭Dilbert75

I have a Mk1 Octavia and a Xsara Picasso and we need room for a teenager, a booster seat and a child seat. The Octavia does not comfortably fit all three side-by-side - they will fit if the back seat occupants get in and belt up in turn, before the next gets in, if you know what I mean. It would not be my choice as my main car for three side-by-side child seats of any description.

The Picasso does comfortably allow this, but its one of the few (incl. FRV, Multipla, S-Max, Galaxy, Alhambra, Sharan and a few others) that do.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,761 ✭✭✭✭galwaytt

Dilbert75 wrote: »
    I have a Mk1 Octavia and a Xsara Picasso and we need room for a teenager, a booster seat and a child seat. The Octavia does not comfortably fit all three side-by-side - they will fit if the back seat occupants get in and belt up in turn, before the next gets in, if you know what I mean. It would not be my choice as my main car for three side-by-side child seats of any description.

The Picasso does comfortably allow this, but its one of the few (incl. FRV, Multipla, S-Max, Galaxy, Alhambra, Sharan and a few others) that do.

S-Max and Galaxy won't fit 3 full baby seats across, easily. BTDT.

Ode To The Motorist

“And my existence, while grotesque and incomprehensible to you, generates funds to the exchequer. You don't want to acknowledge that as truth because, deep down in places you don't talk about at the Green Party, you want me on that road, you need me on that road. We use words like freedom, enjoyment, sport and community. We use these words as the backbone of a life spent instilling those values in our families and loved ones. You use them as a punch line. I have neither the time nor the inclination to explain myself to a man who rises and sleeps under the tax revenue and the very freedom to spend it that I provide, and then questions the manner in which I provide it. I would rather you just said "thank you" and went on your way. Otherwise I suggest you pick up a bus pass and get the ********* ********* off the road” 

• Registered Users Posts: 2,079 ✭✭✭paddydriver

All depends on what size of baby seats they are - i.e. Stage 1, 2, 3 etc

If you have triplets then you need to consider 3 rear facing stage 1's and for this you will need the ISOFIX base types as you will not be able to easily get all done via seat belts - I would recommend 3 x Maxi Cosi easyfix bases and 3 x seats. You are also challenged to get 3 ISOFIX anchorages etc

Anyway, assuming not triplets then you may have differing stages and in that situation you should be OK. Youre wasting time going for a car that will just fit the seats as you wont be able to get your hands at the seat belt clips - well you may be able to get to them but it will be awkward, and not something you wanna be doing in an emergency,

We have an S-Max with a Stage 2 & 3 and with number 3 on way we will have a stage 1 again. I am putting Stage 3 in middle and stages 2 and 3 on outsides in the ISOFIX's - these will fit comfortably. Have seen S-Max's with 3 x Stage 2's comfortably across 3 rear seats. The S-Max has 3 individual seats whereas most cars have 2 seats and the smaller co-pilot type in middle:D

Personally, I could not recommend the S-Max enough. I did a lot of research on this and went to UK and imported, saved a fortune!

Best of Luck. PM me if I can help

• Registered Users Posts: 4,520 ✭✭✭Tea 1000

Has anyone seen those seat belt clips that actually do the same thing as the booster seats for kids? They've been crash tested and all. It's a shame that the booster/child seats are so poorly thought out/designed that cars that should be able to manage comfortably actually can't.
    I also seem to remember one car manufacturer actually built in a booster seat into the back seat cushion. You just pulled it up and back and there it was. Can't for the life of me remember what it was though, saw it way back.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,672 ✭✭✭✭R.O.R

Tea 1000 wrote: »
    Has anyone seen those seat belt clips that actually do the same thing as the booster seats for kids? They've been crash tested and all. It's a shame that the booster/child seats are so poorly thought out/designed that cars that should be able to manage comfortably actually can't.
    I also seem to remember one car manufacturer actually built in a booster seat into the back seat cushion. You just pulled it up and back and there it was. Can't for the life of me remember what it was though, saw it way back.

Family pack option on the Volvo's. Only saw it in action on a V50 recently and it's pretty good. Outside 2 seats in the rear can be tunred in to Booster seats by just pulling them. Doubt you'd get a decent sized child seat in between them though.

Advertisement