Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Lisney or Sherry Fitzgerald.

Options
  • 03-12-2009 4:27pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 3

I'm looking to sell my house this coming spring. I'm looking to make a relatively quick sale and so have decided to go with one of the bigger Estate Agents. I was impressed with Lisney's feedback at valuation but have been told Sherry Fitzgerald very good too. Has anyone any feedback on either or both of these. I'll be using the Terenure office in either case !

Ta !

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,305 ✭✭✭Zamboni

JMS123 wrote: »
    I'm looking to sell my house this coming spring. I'm looking to make a relatively quick sale and so have decided to go with one of the bigger Estate Agents. I was impressed with Lisney's feedback at valuation but have been told Sherry Fitzgerald very good too. Has anyone any feedback on either or both of these. I'll be using the Terenure office in either case !

Ta !

If you're selling in that area I would suggest McCarthy's in Rathfarnham village.
    http://www.macauc.com/selling/default.asp

Very popular EA in the area.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,299 ✭✭✭irishguy

Dealt with a number of estate agents in that area recently (I was buying). Found Sherry Fitzgerald quite good, never dealt with Lisney. Castle were excellent and DNG were totally incompetent and actually lost a sale because of how bad they acted. How come there are so many estate agents in Terenure, tis a bit mad ?
    Also Bennets (Sandymount) are totally useless I dont know how they are still in business.

After dealing with so many estate agents over the last year I would be VERY cautious on who I would let sell my house. From what I have experienced the owner/manager of an estate agents have a way higher chance of selling a place. I would get a friend to go along as a prospective buyer just to see what they are like.

Sorry for my little rant :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3 JMS123

Thanks for the feedback. I had Sherry Fitz value this morning and they seem to have a very professional approach. Though they are also the most expensive at 1.75% commission. Their record of sales in the area and extensive contacts with buyers already looking seem impressive.

My concern is with valuation. They come in at the bottom of the valuation range. This may be more realistic in the current environment ; but I don't want to sacrifice price for a quick sale. Also once an asking price is placed on a house this influences what buyers expect to pay in that area.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,506 ✭✭✭✭astrofool

You can set the price you want to sell at, against their advice, if you wish. Be realistic on the value.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,375 ✭✭✭kmick

First off dont use Macuac. I have dealt with them and to say they were clueless would be a complement. I sold a house recently and used Lisney. They are good but feedback would be sporadic - you have to chase them a lot. Plus they allowed me to put it on the market at too high a price knowing it would never make it which wasted time and as the markets are falling so fast I could have got more if I put it on a correct price first and sold fast. So dont dismiss the Sherry Valuation. Its probably about right as they are seeing what is selling and what is not. The others are just massaging your expectations of what you think you can achieve so they can get the sale. Look around your area and add up all the 3 bed semi's (for example) and then get the average of those. Knock 10% off that average and theres yor sale price. Stick 15% back on and put it on the market. That allows 1 price drop of 5%.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 951 ✭✭✭robd

I can't say I agree with your above ideas of valuation. Certainly 10% under asking is about right for most sales prices at the moment but a huge amount of houses on the market aren't selling because the asking prices are too high. You'd be pricing based on an average of these.

You're paying an estate agent for advice and I'd advice listening to them. As a potential buyer I'm noticing a shift in the attitude of Estate Agents. The bigger ones are starting to be more honest about valuations and seem frustrated with their vendors. They're main job now is managing the vendors expectations and getting the price down to a level where there will be interest from buyers.

Sherry Fitzgerald seemed to adopt a lower pricing strategy about 6 months back. Gunne seem to have followed in the last month or two. Savills still way to high. Don't know about Lisney as they're not active in locations I'm following.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,299 ✭✭✭irishguy

To get a rough guide of price in the D6/6W area take around 50% off the peak price and that will be around what your going to get for it. You might not like it but thats what they are selling for in the area, your only kidding yourself if you expect to get more.

I looked at 3 identical houses in Sandymount 6 months ago all on the same road in pretty much the same condition, same size etc. All with different estate agents.
    House 1 asking:500,000 (Sold for around 440ish)
    House 2 asking:585,000 (Refused 450, is now sold.Not sure how much it went for)
    House 3 asking:795,000 (Still on the market (about 18 months) at a reduced asking).

These houses were selling for just under the 1M mark in 06/07.

When you say the valuation was low how much of a percentage drop from the peak would it have been (roughly) ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 686 ✭✭✭bangersandmash

robd wrote: »
    You're paying an estate agent for advice and I'd advice listening to them. As a potential buyer I'm noticing a shift in the attitude of Estate Agents. The bigger ones are starting to be more honest about valuations and seem frustrated with their vendors. They're main job now is managing the vendors expectations and getting the price down to a level where there will be interest from buyers.

Sherry Fitzgerald seemed to adopt a lower pricing strategy about 6 months back. Gunne seem to have followed in the last month or two. Savills still way to high. Don't know about Lisney as they're not active in locations I'm following.
    Some useful points there. To me it seems that Sherry Fitz are indeed pitching slightly lower than others in South Dublin, followed by Lisney. While Savills and especially Gunne seem to be unrealistic or unwilling to manage vendor expectations. The discrepancy becomes quite blatant when you have similar properties for sale in the same area.

OP it would be worth trying to get some estimate of how quickly the competing agencies are selling their properties in your area, especially if as you say you're looking for a relatively quick sale. It's clear that a number of smaller agencies in South Dublin have had the same properties on their books for the last 18-36 months.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3 JMS123

Hi,

Thanks for all the feedback. We've gone with Sherry Fitz for the sale as they seemed the most professional and I've had the best feedback on them. They are the most expensive I've talked to, but I'm just going to have to hope they're worth it !

We've had 3 requests for viewing so far ; so here's hoping for a bidding war.

Thanks all

JMS

• Registered Users Posts: 93 ✭✭quickdraw2

I have been keeping an eye on many estate agents websites for the last few years, I have noticed that Castle Estate Agents webstte has a lot of propertys listed some for over3 years. when I contact them the properties are no longer for sale. No sold or sale agreed on website.

So it looks from their website they are no good at selling.

I get p'd off wasting my time phoning them.:mad:

anyone else found this?:mad:

• Advertisement
Advertisement