Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Insurance on Older Commercial Jeep

Options
  • 03-12-2009 4:05pm
    Registered Users Posts: 228 ✭✭

A family member has just received his insurance renewal notice for his 1993 commercial jeep. Despite having had comprehensive insurance for a number of years with the same company, and having had no claims in that time, the company is informing him that due to the age of the vehicle they are only offering third party fire and theft cover, not comprehensive. Despite this they are looking for 15% more for 3rd party cover this year (an additional €75) over what they charged for fully comp cover last year.

Secondly, they are requesting that, again due to the age of the vehicle, he go to a Main Dealer at his own expense and get a Vehicle Fitness Certificate signed and stamped to verify its road legality. This in spite of the fact that it has a current DOE certificate which apparently isn't acceptable.

My question is whether this is the insurance company being difficult, or whether it is driven by legislation requirements. Has anyone experience of other insurance companies requiring this?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 14,907 ✭✭✭✭CJhaughey

Thats a load of ****e, I have never heard of having to do another test in addition to the DOE.
    How valid is a dealers vehicle fitness test? Not acceptable to Gardai or the courts anyway so don't bother.
    Tell him to tell the bunch of chancers to get lost and find another company.
    Does the name of the company begin with Q?

• Registered Users Posts: 228 ✭✭Panda Moanium

Thanks for that, I didn't think there was a legal requirement for this. The Vehicle Fitness Certificate form they have supplied is asking the Dealer to confirm things like all the tyres are in order, lights working etc, basically all the things the DOE would cover. So they can go and jump as far as I am concerned.

Not the insurance company you refer to but another large and what would be considered reputable company.

• Registered Users Posts: 356 ✭✭v300

Slightly off topic:

Never ever accept your first renewal quote.
    Shop around, it's quite profitable.

• Registered Users Posts: 1 Sligo69

How did you fair out with this, i have just received a renewal, the vehicle has a valid doe cert and I don't see why it has to be tested secondly

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement