Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Veho Delux Scanner - Late Late Toy Show

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 12,802 Mod ✭✭✭✭Keano

Just spotted the cool scanner which was on the Late Late at a really low price on Pixmania.ie

It's being sold by the manufacturer so less risk than shipping via Pixmania Retail too

The scanner can make getting old photos on your computer very easy and was pretty nifty!

http://www.pixmania.ie/ie/uk/3971071/art/veho/colourbright-negative-sca.html
    You dont work for Veho by any chance?

• Registered Users Posts: 43,777 ✭✭✭✭Basq

I'm not going to assume just by a first post linking to a product that he's a shill..

But it is cheaper here!

Although some quite terrible reviews on Amazon!
    1.0 out of 5 stars Avoid at all costs. This is a very poor quality plastic toy, 14 Nov 2008
    By Mr Jeremy Watson (Surrey, England) - See all my reviews
    I placed an order for the Veho VF-004 5MP Negative & Slide Scanner after reading 3 very positive reviews. I was especially attracted to the idea of converting all those old slides into JPG images that I could then view on my laptop. I now believe those reviews must have been written by someone connected to the supplier! This item is no more than a very poor quality plastic toy which does not deliver any useful images whatsoever. The images created were appalling, with the vast majority of detail being completely lost. No wonder it comes with image enhancing software! Although, of course, it did not really help because it is not possible to recreate detail that was actually lost in the scanning process. The results were so poor, I thought the unit must be defective so I organised a replacement which turned out to be equally poor. I am very surprised that Amazon have anything to do with this item, especially since the supplier fails to respond to any emails and cannot be contacted by phone because they are ex-directory. AVOID THIS ITEM AT ALL COSTS! Update - Feb 2009: I have just discovered that my HP all-in-one printer (C7180) has a facility for scanning slides / negatives and it's absolutely brilliant!!!

1.0 out of 5 stars Quick but rubbish, 29 Nov 2009
    By Toby (UK) - See all my reviews
    Wasn't expecting much from this scanner having read the reviews and being a believer of "you get what you pay for", but the scanned images I was getting when using slides were very very bad.

Even messing about with the scan settings in the supplied software gave some improvements in image quality but the biggest issue for me was the over exposure (I think that's what it's called) which made the white colour elements in the image 'glow' and made me feel like I was looking at the slide whilst holding it up to the sun!

On the plus side it did scan the slides very quickly.

If this was sold for £20 then fair enough, but I would not recommend buying this product.

1.0 out of 5 stars One Star is Too Generous, 28 Nov 2009
    By M. W. Brown - See all my reviews
    (REAL NAME)
    Have tried over and over to get this to install on 2 different XP computers, using both the bundled software and later the downloaded software from the company's website, without any success. Have followed the installation instructions to the letter, but neither PC can recognise the device. There is no support from the manufacturer's website. Basically it is entirely useless; I note that many buyers have had similair problems and I urge Amazon to withdraw this poor product.
    24 1-star reviews - http://www.amazon.co.uk/product-reviews/B00190WB2K/ref=cm_cr_dp_synop?ie=UTF8&showViewpoints=0&sortBy=bySubmissionDateDescending#RGJF7M2721NTW

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4 billcullen75

I just bought it- should have checked around a bit more!

• Registered Users Posts: 43,777 ✭✭✭✭Basq

You can probably cancel.. and if you bought with Pixmania, I'd recommend cancelling it!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4 billcullen75

I actually bought it from Veho because they are selling on Pixmania so I have a UK customer services number I can call.

Thought the manufacturer would have the cheapest price!

Thanks for the heads up.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,070 ✭✭✭Placebo

photography boards folk recommend against this, fyi

• Registered Users Posts: 2,000 ✭✭✭Cionád

Placebo wrote: »
    photography boards folk recommend against this, fyi

Yep, this thing is a heap of ****e.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3 leonidas

So does anybody know where to get a good one?:D

• Registered Users Posts: 10,485 ✭✭✭✭Banjo

By all accounts the Canon 8800F (flatbed scanner with slide attachment) is a good one for a budget price range (around €170 I think), with the Epson V500 (€200-odd) and 750 (€500 or so) in the upper-low range but if you have a few grand to spare get one of the dedicated Nikon jobbies.

They all have hardware dust removal (not a good idea on black and white pics!) but you REALLY get what you pay for in negative / slide scanners so if quality is important and cost isn't then put a kidney on e-bay.

• Registered Users Posts: 198 ✭✭KetchupKid

As far as scanners go, I can tell you that HP doesn't use HP scanners to check the quality of their Inkjet cartridges, but they use Epson scanners.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,523 ✭✭✭TJJP

+1 for the Canon 8800F. Great scanner, nothing it won't do. I've got it to scan old 110mm negs using a mask and have great results.

• Registered Users Posts: 741 ✭✭✭smodgley

what do you mean by a mask ??

• Closed Accounts Posts: 90 ✭✭buckrodgers

I bought one in Aldi a few weeks ago and it is quite good. Its a bit slow but the picture quality is good. I scanned them at low resolution to speed things up and the picture quality was still very good. Aldi only sell them occasionally though. I had to queue up the morning they came on sale and they were gone within minutes. I think it cost €60.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 20,862 Mod ✭✭✭✭inforfun

I bought one in Aldi a few weeks ago and it is quite good. Its a bit slow but the picture quality is good. I scanned them at low resolution to speed things up and the picture quality was still very good. Aldi only sell them occasionally though. I had to queue up the morning they came on sale and they were gone within minutes. I think it cost €60.

Well... look at that :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,523 ✭✭✭TJJP

smodgley wrote: »
    what do you mean by a mask ??

Black card or plastic cut to fit 110mm negatives. I use the mask in the 6x6 adaptor which comes with the scanner.

Advertisement