Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Respray Dilemma

Options
  • 03-12-2009 3:21pm
    Registered Users Posts: 811 ✭✭✭

So you leave your car into a bodyshop and ask them to remove a very noticeable bump on the bonnet. Two days later, you get the car back and the bump is gone and the bonnet is resprayed. Now there is a slight crease on the bonnet which you never saw before. The panel beater didn’t see it while he was working so he didn’t remove it. Now that the bonnet is resprayed and the other bump is removed, the crease is more noticeable.

Should the panel beater have removed this crease? Should you get the panel back in perfect condition? Are you paying for the whole panel to be fixed or just the bumps that you point out?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,559 ✭✭✭Tipsy Mac

I suppose he should have noticed and asked did you want to sort that too, I wouldnt have expected him to fix it without you first giving the go ahead. To be fair you really should have noticed it beforehand and got him to fix that too, that is ofcourse provided he didnt put the crease in it.

• Registered Users Posts: 811 ✭✭✭mal1

In all truth i should have looked at the bonnet in more detail but my eye was taken away with the main bump. I just thought that a good panel beater wouldn't miss much but i must be wrong. I paid 1000euro in total for a number of panel to be resprayed and i'm a little disappointed with the result (i.e. the crease across the bonnet). I'm just wondering whether i should dig my heels in a little more and push these guys. any opinions? Any panel beaters out there?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,616 ✭✭✭TomMc

I think PDR guys aren't mad on doing work on repainted panels but it might be possible for them to sort out the crease after a while (a few months), when the paint is cured and hardened fully.

I was in a similar position as you with Belgard motors. Paid a fortune to repaint a panel on a newish car due to a few bad stone chips and they didn't even bother fixing some ripples (I guess from someone opening their door in a car park) as well. My own fault for not noticing or highlighting it, but you would think a professional outfit would be more conscientious about their work. Seems like many in the trade do the bare minimum and what they think they will get away with.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 146 ✭✭Kafer

Source a new bonnet and ask them to paint it FOC.

Kafer wrote: »
    Source a new bonnet and ask them to paint it FOC.

It's a 1990 BMW E30. It will be hard to find a good bonnet that can be painted without work done first. The bonnet i have now is in pretty good condition, just the crease on it. The panel beater couldn't see it until i showed it to him afterwards. I don't know if he was lying or not. I don't have a trained eye and i could see it. I couldn't see it easily but the light reflecting on the bonnet shows it up.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,256 ✭✭✭kdevitt

Sounds to me like they did exactly what you asked of them - remove a bump in the bonnet - I certainly wouldn't expect them to do additional work if it was my own car.

Is your E30 a laser blue 318i?

kdevitt wrote: »
    Sounds to me like they did exactly what you asked of them - remove a bump in the bonnet - I certainly wouldn't expect them to do additional work if it was my own car.

Is your E30 a laser blue 318i?

yeap, don't tell me you work in the bodyshop:D....i didn't mention any names.

I am a little annoyed that I didn't notice it myself but i do think they should have seen it and given me a call.

Was looking at a laser blue E30 on Tuesday which had the bonnet done! See below - my car is in the background having a glass out respray :D

dscf3516.jpg

May not be yours at all - just seemed coincidental.

yeap, that's me. The rest of the work was good..no complaints. I saw your car too and was talking to the owner of the garage about it. Nice.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,822 ✭✭✭✭EPM

I would expect any panel to be perfectly finished personally. Anytime I've had anything done there has always been little small other things done that I don't really notice in advance (and I'm picky). A SMART repair might sort that out for you though

• Advertisement

mal1 wrote: »
    yeap, that's me. The rest of the work was good..no complaints. I saw your car too and was talking to the owner of the garage about it. Nice.

Small world - being perfectly honest, I had a good look at your car and didn't notice anything on the bonnet, so its entirely likely that the lads didn't notice either.

EPM wrote: »
    I would expect any panel to be perfectly finished personally. Anytime I've had anything done there has always been little small other things done that I don't really notice in advance (and I'm picky). A SMART repair might sort that out for you though

My brother recently got some work done on his Z4 and the panel beater repaired stuff on the panel that he hadn't noticed. That's what you would expect and that is what i was expecting. I was going to go with the same guy but went with the other guys since they are closer to where I live. My brother blames me for it..not that fact that i missed the crease but the fact that i didn't go with who he recommended.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,822 ✭✭✭✭EPM

post a pic of it if you can. Some people on here should be able to tell if a dent doctor type service would sort it

I'll try and take a photo tomorrow if i'm around the car in daylight.

I'm not even convinced that the crease was there before i left the car in but that's another matter. The crease is in line with a metal strut from the underside of the bonnet. I was told by the panel beater that it was caused by pressure from the front i.e. a small crash from the front that bent the bonnet a little causing the crease.

However, i never saw the crease until i got the car back so the first thought that i had was that the crease was caused by downward pressure on the bonnet as the panel beater was removing the bumps. Can't be proven but that's my theory

You get this sorted?

Sorry for bringing this thread back. Nothing happened in the end. A friend of a friend has started a business using the SMART technology so i might get him to look at the bonnet but it's not really bothering me at the moment.

However, rust has reappeared on one of the side panels that was resprayed three months ago. It's at a different location so the panel beater says that he would have to charge me for this extra work. some of the paint looks bear without any rust...just like the paint fell off...any opinions?

There is also a little rust under the bonnet on one of the panels adjacent to the engine. Should i get some welding work done or would a DIY filler job suffice??

Advertisement