Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Sound Enginnering - Part Time / Day Course?

Options
  • 03-12-2009 3:03pm
    Registered Users Posts: 8,004 ✭✭✭

Hi Folks,

I've been DJ-ing and Sound Engineering for years for myself and with a few bands however I'd like to get formal education in the field. Sadly most venues don't really like "I have two years experience but no diploma etc" which is fair enough. I'm based in Dublin but I'm also full time in college. Are there any courses South side that are weekend based? Weekdays are fine but some venues I've seen are in Templebar which is a long way for me to travel.

So the main question, are there any weekend courses or courses that do everything needed for a formal diploma on maybe an Easter/Christmas/Summer course or something? I don't need a high flying degree, I'd rather just have something to show my skill set against.

Thanks!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 271 ✭✭Starfox

• Registered Users Posts: 501 ✭✭✭dubsbhoy

think there is one out in dun-laoire

try the digital hub too

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14 god like genius

dubsbhoy wrote: »
    think there is one out in dun-laoire

try the digital hub too

yeah there is one out there, pre-amp dj academy, was down in it a few weeks ago, pretty good set up.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,004 ✭✭✭ironclaw

Starfox wrote: »

Thanks for all the links folks. I saw that one ^ but its in Naas so well out of my way to get to.

Realistically, how long does it take to get a reasonable qualification?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,401 ✭✭✭jtsuited

ironclaw wrote: »
    Thanks for all the links folks. I saw that one ^ but its in Naas so well out of my way to get to.

Realistically, how long does it take to get a reasonable qualification?

nope. there are no 'reasonable qualifications'. they are all worth equally nothing.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,004 ✭✭✭ironclaw

jtsuited wrote: »
    nope. there are no 'reasonable qualifications'. they are all worth equally nothing.

Granted. But I'd like something to show my skill set. So which is better, experience or a degree / diploma?

• Registered Users Posts: 271 ✭✭Starfox

ironclaw wrote: »
    Granted. But I'd like something to show my skill set. So which is better, experience or a degree / diploma?

I suppose it really depends on how much work you put into it, so go set the bar for yourself

Advertisement