Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Neighbour has broadband reception, we don't....

Options
  • 03-12-2009 2:56pm
    Registered Users Posts: 4,852 ✭✭✭

My neighbour has broadband, but as we live in a valley, we won't have broadband for at least a year and a half. Is there anyway we can 'piggyback' on their reception. One of the broadband providers we spoke to said there was a way of doing this. We would of course be asking the neighbours permission, but if it is possible, how would billing etc work? Thanks in advance, sorry this post isn't a bit clearer, i'm a bit clueless about this sort of thing.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,713 ✭✭✭✭jor el

All depends on the supplier, and the neighbour. How it would work is up to them.

Is the neighbour near by, who is their provider, is this the same provider you spoke to?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,852 ✭✭✭ncmc

The neighbours broadband is with Eircom. They are close by, the reason thay have Eircom and we don't is that they are on top of a hill, we are in a valley. I can't remember the name of the company that told us we could piggyback, it was one of the smaller ones anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 29 anfirrua

Am a bit confused, does your neighbour have Eircom DSL? If this is the case then I would presume that your telephone exchange is DSL ready and thus with your telephone line you could get DSL regardless of you being in a valley or not

But back to your question, yes you could "piggy-back" off your neighbour's internet, you would need to setup a network between you and them, many solutions for this, do you have line of sight between the houses? What is the distance between them? Is there any other property owners between you and them?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,713 ✭✭✭✭jor el

ncmc wrote: »
    The neighbours broadband is with Eircom. They are close by, the reason thay have Eircom and we don't is that they are on top of a hill, we are in a valley.

Being in a valley has nothing to do with DSL availability. Distance from exchange, being on a carrier line and line quality are the only things that effect it.

ncmc wrote: »
    I can't remember the name of the company that told us we could piggyback, it was one of the smaller ones anyway.

You can share a connection. A home Wifi router is a simple solution, but would be a fairly crap way of doing it. Range would be a problem, anything more than about 50m is going to give you bog all signal. A point to point wireless link would be better, but expensive.

Personally, I wouldn't share mine with anyone. I'd be responsible for everything the other person does. It's a big risk.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 25,234 ✭✭✭✭Sponge Bob

are you and your neighbour on the same exchange or are you fed from different exchanges??

Oh, define "neighbour" in valley terms , is it 100m or 2 miles ??? :p

• Advertisement
Advertisement