Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Engine over-heating.

Options
  • 03-12-2009 10:30am
    Registered Users Posts: 56 ✭✭

Was sitting in my car last night for about 10-15 minutes waiting for a friend. I left the car running as it was very cold. Then i noticed that the engine temperature was up the max.

I left the engine cool down for about 20 minutes, then checked the coolent, raditor and oil, all were out.

Chanced driving home which was about 20 minutes away, no problem at all, engine was at the right temp. So it's just over heating when the car is not moving. I'm guessing its the fan....? All help appreciated!

Cheers

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,570 ✭✭✭Rovi

Certainly sounds like a fan issue.
    If you have an electric fan, it could be a host of things: faulty fan motor, wiring/connector issues, faulty temperature sensor/switch, relays, fuses, etc.
    If you have a mechanical fan, it could be a faulty/failed viscous coupling.

Aside from that, it could be that the radiator is partially blocked, either internally or externally.

Be very careful when checking an electric fan; they are wired to operate even when the engine is stopped, and could start up at just the moment when you have your fingers in there.

Sounds like a thermostat problem to me.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,366 ✭✭✭DublinDilbert

derv60 wrote: »
    I left the engine cool down for about 20 minutes, then checked the coolent, raditor and oil, all were out.

Can you clarify what you mean by out?

Was the internal heater working all the time you were sitting there?

• Registered Users Posts: 56 ✭✭derv60

Can you clarify what you mean by out?

Was the internal heater working all the time you were sitting there?

sorry ment to say that they were all ok. yes the heating was working fine.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,276 ✭✭✭JoeySully

The motors charter has some good advice :rolleyes:
    http://boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055037358
    If you have a question about a problem with your car (i.e. my car won't start), please make sure you name the make / model / year of the car as accurately as you can

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,641 ✭✭✭zilog_jones

Was this 10-15 minutes after already driving the car (i.e. the engine was already at normal running temperatures)? If so it is relatively normal for the engine to heat up after idling for that long. However the fan should turn on at a certain temperature before overheating - you should check if this is happening.

As nox said a stuck thermostat could also cause overheating.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,696 ✭✭✭trad

I'd go for a fan problem. Had a simular issue with an avensis, no problems until stuck in traffic or stationary for a while then up goes the temp guage. It's been cold enough lately that your fan has not been cutting in, so sitting there sould have caused it to overheat.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,570 ✭✭✭Rovi

I'd still plump for a fan/radiator issue.

A stuck 'closed' thermostat would lead to overheating all the time to one degree (:rolleyes:) or other, while one stuck 'open' would run cool all the time, except possibly in the sort of example the OP gave, when the lack of airflow through the radiator would allow the engine to come up to a temperature at which the fan should cut in.

Thanks for all the comments lads. it's a 98 honda civic coupe, 1.6ils. Again it was fine driving home from work today, didn't over heat at all.

Hopefully i'm not doing any damage by driving it around. About 4 months ago the pipe burst running from the radiator, and the engine temp sky-rocketed, ended up having to get a new rad, didn't do any damage to the engine luckily enough.

Obviously the best thing to do is get it looked at by someone who knows what they are doing.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,097 ✭✭✭Darragh29

Id check 2 things OP...

(1) That the coolant level is correct when the engine is stone cold. Obviously coolant expands when hot, you need to check the level when it is cold to get a proper handle on the mass of coolant in there. If the level is low this can cause overheating issues expecially when the car is stationary and coolant is not flowing quickly through the engine due to it being at idle.

(2) Check that the fan is cutting in and out with your eyes... See it working or not working, whichever the case may be...

• Advertisement

Darragh29 wrote: »
    Id check 2 things OP...

(1) That the coolant level is correct when the engine is stone cold. Obviously coolant expands when hot, you need to check the level when it is cold to get a proper handle on the mass of coolant in there. If the level is low this can cause overheating issues expecially when the car is stationary and coolant is not flowing quickly through the engine due to it being at idle.

(2) Check that the fan is cutting in and out with your eyes... See it working or not working, whichever the case may be...

OK will go out and check it in a while when it is cold. Will i leave it run and see about the fan, if the coolant level is corrected? Thanks

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,097 ✭✭✭Darragh29

Well check the coolant level first at the expansion bottle when the engine is stone cold.

You can always check the fan when you are out next in the car on a spin...

• Registered Users Posts: 3,466 ✭✭✭jetfiremuck

you may be able to jump the radiatior fan switch harness side with a piece of wire and see if the fan run. I have known when engines overhead the sensors for the fan and temp gauge can get damaged

I checked the coolant level this morning, looks perfect.

Brought the car for a spin up to the shop, came back, left it running, and i could def hear the fan kicking in and out.

I'm off today so will probably bring it to a mechanic to see what the story is.

Thanks for the comments lads.

Advertisement