Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

USA and Australian Uniden phones

Options
  • 03-12-2009 10:00am
    Registered Users Posts: 43

Hi.
    Does anyone know if the Uniden Cordless Phones from Australia and USA will work here. I am looking at the dual display on phone and base station models. The USA ones will be 110v but the Aussies use 220v.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,572 ✭✭✭msg11

wak11935 wrote: »
    Hi.
    Does anyone know if the Uniden Cordless Phones from Australia and USA will work here. I am looking at the dual display on phone and base station models. The USA ones will be 110v but the Aussies use 220v.

The Irish Voltage pressure is 220V, if thats any help..

Source

http://www.irishtourist.com/general_information/electricity.shtml

I would check the Hz too, heard a few storys, about thing not working at 220v and it was down to the Hz!

• Registered Users Posts: 21,436 ✭✭✭✭Alun

The voltage issue is the least of your worries. What you need to be concerned about is whether they operate on a frequency that is licensed for that use here in Ireland. For example, some foreign cordless phones operate on the same frequency as, and therefore interfere with, the new Tetra digital radio system being introduced here for the Emergency Services. Comreg are being very active in tracking down and prosecuting users of such phones at the moment for obvious reasons.

Why not just get a fully legal DECT system either here or from the UK?

• Registered Users Posts: 43 wak11935

Hi Alun.
    I've had a DECT Panasonic KX-TCD735E(M) cordless UK phone with two hansets for 15 years.
    It has worked very well but about 4 years ago the bedroom handset gave up. I managed to get a replacement handset on eBay.co.uk.
    Since then the downstairs handset is faulty.
    I wrote to Panasonic and they told me the phone is obsolete and no spares available.
    The base unit has a full keyboard, LCD display and speaker phone so can be fully used without the handset in the cradle.
    Caller ID, last number called/received, time, date etc. all on the base unit display without the handset.
    Any modern phone that I've looked at does not have this and relies upon the handset to display this information.
    The handset is used like a mobile phone for any information.
    My present phone can be used for calls incoming or outgoing even if the hanset is elsewhere in the house.
    The Uniden phones that I am looking at have all the facilities that my present phone has.

http://www.uniden.com/products/productdetail.cfm?product=TRU9585#

If you know of one like this that is approved for use here please let me know as I would rather get one here than have the uncertainty of the import not working or being illegal.
    Wolfgang

Those 5.8GHz phones might be OK, I think that frequency falls within an unlicensed band used for all kinds of things, but to be absolutely certain a call or email to ComReg would be the best bet. Even if it doesn't interfere with something else, that something might interfere with your new phone thus rendering it useless.

One other thing to take into account is whether caller-ID will work. There are different standards in use, and I'm pretty sure the US uses a different one to us.

Maybe try one of the large online phone companies in the UK like http://www.cordless-phones.uk.com/ or http://www.home-phones.co.uk/ .. they might know of something that would fit your requirements.

Hi Alun.

Thanks for the links.
    I only sent that link as an example as I was actually look at 1.9GHz Uniden phones on eBay.com/au.
    I have asked all the sellers and they all say they will work in the UK with a plug adaptor.
    They would would'nt they.
    I thought the 1.9GHz phones would be ok here.

• Advertisement

Yes, the 1.9 GHz phones on there are DECT, so are perfectly OK. You might still want to check the Caller-ID thing though.

Alun.

Thanks for all the help. I will check out those links later.
    The caller ID thing could be a problem.
    I will ask a seller who has supplied any to the UK or Ireland if there has been a problem with caller ID.
    I'll also check to see if they have any feedback from here.

Alun.

I followed up on your links and eventually arrived at this.

http://telephonedepot.co.uk/td.cgi?ID=51991292842645320324&action=showproduct&PC=BTEQUINOX1350TWIN

This one is ideal and legal. Caller ID should be ok.
    However, BT do'nt have this phone anymore. Discontinued!
    Telephone Depot still have it listed but they are closed over the weekend, so I have to wait until Monday to find out if they have old stock.

None on eBAY uk either.

I have to laugh. I'm not meant to get one.

Cheers.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,399 ✭✭✭OFDM

wak11935 wrote: »
    Hi.

Illegal in Europe and will interfere with the Garda tetra system! ComReg will find you, prosecute and you'll be fined €5000!

Advertisement