Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Nct query - engine light

Options
  • 03-12-2009 7:25am
    Registered Users Posts: 4,306 ✭✭✭

Hi guys
    have to book the pug into get it's nct in the next month I've had an engine light on for about 8 months and I need to get a maf replaced. Not a big job but doesn't really need to be fixed either.

Is the nct an auto fail if the light is on come test day or would the 20 euro on the seat work?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 329 ✭✭drBill

I had a similar situation; have had a yellow warning light on for the past year or so due to insufficient egr flow. Like you it doesn't really need to be fixed. Fortunately my emissions readings were within limits and it passed the NCT in August.
    So provided it's not messing up your emissions I'd say you'll be ok with the engine light being on.

• Registered Users Posts: 942 ✭✭✭gofaster_s13

The NCT are supposed to refuse to do an emissions test if an engine management light is on, you could chance bringing it in with the light and they might test it but if they don't you have wasted the price of the test for the sake of replacing the MAF sensor.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,306 ✭✭✭blahblah06

Ye well I am getting clutch n flywheel done up north end of Jan so was going to get maf fitted then to.

By sounds of it it's a 50/50. How much is a retest? And do u get 30 days to go back and do they test everything r just refuse to test anything

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,864 ✭✭✭langdang

Could you borrow a working MAF from someone with the same engine as yourself? How much is a new one?

They'll test with an airbag light on, but can think of several reasons they wouldn't when the engine management light is on.

• Registered Users Posts: 412 ✭✭BOSTIK

I had a similar issue about 3 years ago. The engine management light had been a permanent fixture for about a month at the time but the car was accepted for the NCT and passed first time. As far as I'm aware the presence of the light doesn't necessarily mean that the car isn't fit for the test, whereas visually obvious defects such as loose or worn timing belts, corroded battery leads, damaged chassis etc might deter the tester from allowing the test.

Regarding the warning light itself, I'd get things seen to sooner rather than later. Those lights have been known to cry wolf from time to time, but drving with a continual engine fault will eventually hurt your wallet

• Advertisement
Advertisement