If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Need a special HE system [DVD etc] to play from large external hard-drive ...

Options
  • 03-12-2009 4:40am
    Registered Users Posts: 93 ✭✭

Hi,

I'll start with the simple bit.

- I'm looking for a home entertainment system [somewhere under e150 ... well maybe a small stretch] where the unit has a USB slot AND is capable of reading movies off an external hard-drive, say a terabyte drive. Simple. Think again.

The problem ... I'm having is that most sites I check [eg. argos, asda] have a load of glossy waffle and not enough facts.
    eg. the 'LG HT304SU Home Cinema System' ... has some fancy stuff wrote about it on argos BUT it's not until you check the LG technical data that you find it cannot accept external hard-drives.
    There's a huge amount of digging required before you get the technical stuff ... unless ... someone on boards has the scoop!

I have handy access to west Dublin, Athlone & going I'm going to Enniskillen on Friday plus again some other date between now & Christmas.

Ta v.much for any help.
    Tony

- I've also posted this question in 'HE General' ... then I noticed there are actual retailers on this boards forum (wehee!) ... so I guess you're one of the experts ;) ...

Comments

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, RicherSounds.ie Moderator Posts: 2,505 Mod ✭✭✭✭The Ritz

Mod Comment to all:

If you want to discuss the merits/issues/brands/etc of systems which will play from hard drives, please do so on the thread started by this poster in the HE General forum.

Thanks,

Ritz.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,957 ✭✭✭Richersounds.ie: Ashley

Nicola on behalf of Ash

Hey Tony,

We do have the HTS3020 available in store at €149.99 so with your Philips Shop Boards 10% Discount that would come to €134.99. ( SPEC: http://www.philipsshop.ie/fivechannelcinema.htm )

IT does have a USB connection and does not list a maximum capicity for an external hard drive. However I would be inclined to say neither yes or no to it being compatible unless we actually test it with a TB drive. Unfortunately none of us in here have a HD that large (hint at crimbo present!) but if there's any way you want to pop in and test it out in store you could solve your problem and satisify our curiousity! :D

Sorry I can't be of more help. :o

Thanks a mil, Nicola.

• Registered Users Posts: 93 ✭✭logger

Nicola on behalf of Ash

Hey Tony,

We do have the HTS3020 available in store at €149.99 so with your Philips Shop Boards 10% Discount that would come to €134.99. ( SPEC: http://www.philipsshop.ie/fivechannelcinema.htm )

Wow! When did that happen 'guys' (Nicola)... The web site I mean did I miss an announcement on the boards about it, Great at last a place get an idea of the product range in your fab store....

• Company Representative Posts: 9,459 ✭✭✭Richersounds.ie: John

logger wrote: »
    Wow! When did that happen 'guys' (Nicola)... The web site I mean did I miss an announcement on the boards about it, Great at last a place get an idea of the product range in your fab store....

Crafted with Nicola's own fair hands guys www.philipsshop.ie

Thanks Nicola and thanks Guys,

ATB,

John Mc

John McDonald / Managing Director / Richer Sounds Ireland / www.richersounds.ie / johnmc@richersounds.ie

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, RicherSounds.ie Moderator Posts: 2,505 Mod ✭✭✭✭The Ritz

It appears that the HTS3020 has a maximum size limit of 160GB on USB devices and they can't be formatted as NTFS - pages 30 and 33 of the user manual here: http://www.p4c.philips.com/files/h/hts3020_05/hts3020_05_dfu_eng.pdf. It appears that the same is the case for the HTS3377 - see http://www.p4c.philips.com/files/h/hts3377_05/hts3377_05_dfu_eng.pdf.

Kudos to Nicola - cool website, details added to the Philips Shop stickey.

Ritz.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,957 ✭✭✭Richersounds.ie: Ashley

Nicola on behalf of Ash

Thanks guys!

Glad you like it. Still a work in progress so forgive any missing products. They will all be up shortly.

Thanks again! :D Super proud of me now :D

Nicola

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.