Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Need a special HE system [DVD etc] to play from large external hard-drive ...

Options
  • 03-12-2009 4:23am
    Registered Users Posts: 93 ✭✭

Hi folks,

I'll start with the simple bit.

- I'm looking for a home entertainment system [somewhere under e150] where the unit has a USB slot AND is capable of reading movies off an external hard-drive, say a terabyte drive. Simple. Think again.

The problem ... I'm having is that most sites I check [eg. argos, asda] have a load of glossy waffle and not enough facts.
    eg. the 'LG HT304SU Home Cinema System' ... has some fancy stuff wrote about it on argos BUT it's not until you check the LG technical data that you find it cannot accept external hard-drives.
    There's a huge amount of digging required before you get the technical stuff ... unless ... someone on boards has the scoop!

I have handy access to west Dublin, Athlone & going I'm going to Enniskillen on Friday plus again some other date between now & Christmas.

Ta v.much for any help.
    Tony

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,522 ✭✭✭paddylonglegs

tony, have you got an external hdd already?

the likes of the Lacie lacinema 1 tb has av output so you can hook it up to your HE system, which means you don't have to worry about finding one with usb system. It comes with a remote control and will have a user interface on your tv. I'm picking one up soon so i can access my movies, music ad pics through my HE system

I'm not sure a HE system with only usb would be able to play your movie files anyway.I'v got a philips dvd player with usb slot but it can only be used for playing music i think

• Registered Users Posts: 717 ✭✭✭akaSol

IRL-Tony wrote: »
    - I'm looking for a home entertainment system [somewhere under e150] where the unit has a USB slot AND is capable of reading movies off an external hard-drive, say a terabyte drive.

Most HTS are USB host sockets. This usually means USB keys.
    1TB drives would use the NTFS file stricture (WINDOWS) or FAT32(Driver default) , USB keys don't get even to 25% of that 1tb.
    They also limit allot of the playback file types , usually to divx-exid. Also small resolution videos , so none of the hi-def stuff.

It would be prudent, like paddy has stated already , to look at a media drive or media tank which have optical out and then find a HTS with optical in.

>Sol

• Registered Users Posts: 93 ✭✭IRL-Tony

alright Paddy ... I have 2 HDDs already ... a 320gb Toshiba & a 500gb Targa ... the only external connection is USB (apart from ethernet and SATA on the Targa).

I'm aware that the likes of iOmega sell 'media centre' HDDs ... scart, HDMI and the like on-board ...

However, I already have HDDs ... I don't want to buy another.

A friend of mine has a Samsung HE centre (need to find the model code from him) ... it facilitates a 500gb HDD connection via USB ... has a lovely scrollable menu etc so he can flick with the Samsung remote and choose his movie ... excellent.

T

• Registered Users Posts: 1,436 ✭✭✭phelixoflaherty

These boys wont play dvd's but will play any file you fire at them from hdd. T

• Registered Users Posts: 256 ✭✭flanders2006

I bought an LG surround sound system, can't remember the exact code for €199 in Currys last year that has optical in for my xbox and also has a USB slot that i connect a 250Gb drive to to play DivX. I can look up the model number if you like and post later.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,359 ✭✭✭Access

Try bringing one of your hard drives with you to the store, as i did... they let me check it on the store model in currys before i bought it... Simples!

Advertisement