Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

[Heritage] Plans for Clare rail museum lodged

Options
  • 03-12-2009 2:25am
    Registered Users Posts: 78,285 ✭✭✭✭

http://www.irishtimes.com/newspaper/ireland/2009/1203/1224259990172.html
    Plans for Clare rail museum lodged
    GORDON DEEGAN

PLANS HAVE been lodged for what was described yesterday as “Ireland’s largest road and rail museum” at Moyasta, west Clare.

The museum is to form part of the restored West Clare Railway attraction where visitors have trebled since the return of the 117- year-old Slieve Callan steam engine last August.

Announcing the plans yesterday, Jackie Whelan of the West Clare Railway said: “The museum will be the largest road and rail museum in the country.” Already, he said, he had taken delivery of five rail engines to be placed in the museum.

With the plans lodged with Clare County Council, Mr Whelan said he hoped construction of the museum will begin early in 2010.

Mr Whelan also announced plans to extend the restored West Clare Railway a further 2.5 miles next year.

He confirmed he is in negotiations with the National Roads Authority (NRA) on the rail line crossing the national secondary route between Kilrush and Kilkee.

The west Clare businessman said he plans to extend the rail line to Kilrush. He said: “There are a few objections to it, but we’re very hopeful.” Mr Whelan said yesterday that it was very important for west Clare’s tourism sector that the museum project would proceed.

Already, Mr Whelan has spent over €500,000 on the Slieve Callan engine in a 10-year restoration project.

The Slieve Callan powered the West Clare Railway between 1892 and 1952, before being exhibited on a plinth at Ennis railway station until 1996, when Mr Whelan in a daring raid took possession of it and brought it back to Moyasta to commence its restoration.

The government had closed the loss-making West Clare Railway in 1961. After the Slieve Callan’s first trip since restoration on the restored two miles of track last August, Mr Whelan told a crowd: “It is my intention while I am this side of the ground to extend the railway to the towns of Kilkee and Kilrush in west Clare.”

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 24,475 ✭✭✭✭Cookie_Monster

1. Good - about feckin time

2. Hope he has the money to fund this

3. how on earth did it cost half a million to restore a single old loco? that's insane

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,549 ✭✭✭✭Judgement Day

I would imagine that barring the frames, cylinders and wheels it is a new locomotive - hence the sky high price. While I welcome a museum of any sort I cannot imagine a more unsuitable and remote location. The sea air will play havoc with anything ferrous and the lack of visitors will make the project a financial nightmare. Cavan & Leitrim MkII with more money behind it but a nightmare in the making. :confused:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,009 ✭✭✭✭Run_to_da_hills

I would imagine that barring the frames, cylinders and wheels it is a new locomotive - hence the sky high price. While I welcome a museum of any sort I cannot imagine a more unsuitable and remote location. The sea air will play havoc with anything ferrous and the lack of visitors will make the project a financial nightmare. Cavan & Leitrim MkII with more money behind it but a nightmare in the making. :confused:
    Firstly I welcome any move towards preserving our railway heritage.

I thought that they should have learned lessons from the Birr Telescope and rebuilt Lartique railway about remoteness. Could they not get somewhere closer to one of our main cities or even close to the Western Corridore which could become an invaluable section of track for running excursions when regular services flop.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,312 ✭✭✭dowlingm

If it was a few splashes of paint on a canvas, the Arts Council would find money as a national priority. It's time the National Museum was directed to find a site and build a transport museum to house both vehicles and other exhibits which chart the development of rail, road, air and sea.

No fecking decentralisation either - national museums should be in national capitals. Docklands post interconnector maybe, or Fairview if DART maintenance was moved out to the suburbs like Inchicore/Portlaoise. Broadstone might be an option but since LUAS is likely to assume the alignment bringing in exhibits by rail would be tricky.

At least with Fairview you have a bunch of exhibits to get started with - the Alstom DARTs!

At least with Fairview you have a bunch of exhibits to get started with - the Alstom DARTs!

:D:D:D

You also have a prebuilt warehouse for storing all the stock indoors. Pity no-one in Gov gives a toss.:mad:

• Advertisement

Neither does the National Heritage Council. The Director of the National Museum (Pat Wallace) also sees no need for a National Transport Museum - it might threaten funds for his pet projects. IE's Heritage Office obviously see no need either or they would not be sitting on their fat arses! :mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 912 ✭✭✭Hungerford

dowlingm wrote: »
    Broadstone might be an option but since LUAS is likely to assume the alignment bringing in exhibits by rail would be tricky

Not necessarily - it might be possible, even with the Luas alignment, to reopen a single track connection to Liffey Junction. Broadstone would actually be perfect if that was the case - historic setting, mainline connection and a Luas connection to city centre. It would be fantastic in terms of heritage train demos: you could run occasional specials up to Maynooth and back. Of course, CIE believe that it's best used as a fancy bus garage.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,312 ✭✭✭dowlingm

Isn't LUAS 1435mm? I suppose you could look at interlacing the track but that seems like a tricky proposition.

Hungerford wrote: »
    Not necessarily - it might be possible, even with the Luas alignment, to reopen a single track connection to Liffey Junction. Broadstone would actually be perfect if that was the case - historic setting, mainline connection and a Luas connection to city centre. It would be fantastic in terms of heritage train demos: you could run occasional specials up to Maynooth and back. Of course, CIE believe that it's best used as a fancy bus garage.

Broadstone has been suggested to different politicians over the last 30 years but guess what - no interest. Much better to leave a building of considerable architectural importance as a dirty old bus depot than to open it to the public as another tourist attaraction. It won't happen because the opposition politicians (FG and Labour) are equally devoid of vision as the present shower of criminals. :mad:

http://irelandposters.com/dublin/images/broadstone_railway_station.jpg

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,850 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

The Broadstone option is exactly how the Netherlands has done it - suburban, surplus to then requirements terminus in Utrecht (NS are based there although its not the capital) was converted in to the NS-museum.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,032 ✭✭✭DWCommuter

There's already a rail connected disused site for a national transport/rail museum. Its close to a large city and in a tourist hotspot. Theres also a reletively famous museum of a transport nature close by. Personally I think its worth a punt as it ticks some preliminary economic boxes already.

So guess.:D

DW have you been at the Cooking Sherry again - unless, of course, you mean Inchicore Works or Heuston? :D

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,850 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

DWCommuter wrote: »
    There's already a rail connected disused site for a national transport/rail museum. Its close to a large city and in a tourist hotspot. Theres also a reletively famous museum of a transport nature close by. Personally I think its worth a punt as it ticks some preliminary economic boxes already.

So guess.:D

Other than Inchicore.... not Whitehead surely?

My brother has two suggestions:
    Westrail's old place in Tuam?
    Foynes - near the flying boat museum there?

Northwall?

Dun Laoghaire peir until recently :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 78,285 ✭✭✭✭Victor

Northwall?
    Docklands. :)

Northwall?

Dun Laoghaire Pier until recently :pac:
    The old demolished mail boat pier would make a fine site. It would attract what ever tourists come to Dunlaoghaire after Sealink and HSS pull out. It would not take much to re run a branch connection into the Dart line again except it will now have to be done in the dark :)

So a news post about a private transport museum in County Clare turns into a discussion of what sites in Dublin would suit a public one because Clare is a backwater?

Very telling.

So a news post about a private transport museum in County Clare turns into a discussion of what sites in Dublin would suit a public one because Clare is a backwater?

Very telling.
    Moyasta is backwater, in fact it is in the ar*e end of nowhere.

So is lahinch, clifden, killary harbour, foynes, dingle, loop head, doolin, cong......should I keep going?

So is lahinch, clifden, killary harbour, foynes, dingle, loop head, doolin, cong......should I keep going?
    Anywhere that is not close proximity to a currently used national railway line is no where.

Personally If I was a rail enthusiast and had to rely on public transport the last thing I would want is to be stuck in a bus for hours trying to get to a rail museum. :rolleyes:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,575 ✭✭✭lord lucan

Very telling.

What's your problem? Do you want this thread locked too?

Very telling.

Clare is a backwater in term of visiter nmber that wouold go there whereas if it wass in Dublin you'd get factors more visiter both purely to see the museum and if just generally a tourist in the area

Clare is a backwater in term of visiter nmber that wouold go there whereas if it wass in Dublin you'd get factors more visiter both purely to see the museum and if just generally a tourist in the area

I'm a rail enthusiast and i'm delighted that these locos are getting a proper home and not left to rust outside Inchicore and Carrick-on-Suir. I'd love to visit them but getting to Moyasta from Dublin is awkward and will put off most people except the die-hard rail enthusiast. A museum nearer Dublin would capture both the rail enthusiast market as well as the regular tourist market and British rail enthusiast day tripper market.

Clare is a backwater in term of visitor number that would go there whereas if it was in Dublin you'd get factors more visitor both purely to see the museum and if just generally a tourist in the area

With the mess they made of the cliffs of Moher and the exorbitant parking charges on the place I can't see many would want to go specifically to visit that part of the country. People go to Clare to enjoy the social life and not to travel to some cold, damp and windy rail museum in the middle of a bog.

lord lucan wrote: »
    What's your problem? Do you want this thread locked too?

Nah, just get the feeling that the posts are very duberlin-centric, as if it was centre of the country or something....

Seriously, I thought that discussion of what Dublin should have really belongs in a thread of its own, that's all.

I think they're pitching it at the traditional hire-a-car "tour of ai-yur-leand" french/german/american tourists that make a point of going around the coastline i.e. it's be a stop on the way to the Aliwee caves or cliffs of Moher or something like that. Not pitched at locals.

For an aviation equivelent, ask at Weston how easy it would be to visit Foynes, or even Clifden (where Alcock & Brown landed).

Nah, just get the feeling that the posts are very duberlin-centric, as if it was centre of the country or something....

Seriously, I thought that discussion of what Dublin should have really belongs in a thread of its own, that's all.

It's not Dublin-centric by design,just that naturally Dublin is the major point of entry for tourists to this country and that's what will be needed to keep a scheme like this afloat. The rail enthusiast market in this country is too small to sustain it alone,it'll need non-rail enthusiast tourism to balance the books and a remote location like Moyasta doesn't help it's cause.

Dublin is where the all these locos operated and ran from and NOT West Clare where they used a 3 ft narrow gauge line along with their own unique locomotives.

Did you ever hear Percy French singing about the 121's 141's, 001's or the C class :rolleyes:

lord lucan wrote: »
    It's not Dublin-centric by design,just that naturally Dublin is the major point of entry for tourists to this country and that's what will be needed to keep a scheme like this afloat. The rail enthusiast market in this country is too small to sustain it alone,it'll need non-rail enthusiast tourism to balance the books and a remote location like Moyasta doesn't help it's cause.

Well, it may be remote in transport terms, but in tourist site terms, well it is in close reach of some well established tourist places. If I remember right, as well as Foynes museum, there's Loop Head, the Tarbert ferry, Kilrush (which I think has its own museum), the Clare coastline with the Cliffs of Moher (rememeber, they're tourists), the Arann islands......

But, well, the only way we'll find out, is to see how the museum does. Best of luck to them.

Well, it may be remote in transport terms, but in tourist site terms, well it is in close reach of some well established tourist places. If I remember right, as well as Foynes museum, there's Loop Head, the Tarbert ferry, Kilrush (which I think has its own museum), the Clare coastline with the Cliffs of Moher (rememeber, they're tourists), the Arann islands......

But, well, the only way we'll find out, is to see how the museum does. Best of luck to them.

I hope it works for them,i know i'll go down next year once the "better" weather comes around.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 912 ✭✭✭Hungerford

Well, it may be remote in transport terms, but in tourist site terms, well it is in close reach of some well established tourist places.

The problem with all the locations you name is that none of them are close to an operational broad guage railway line.

I think that many of us would prefer a railway museum to be close to one because it facilitates stock transfers, demonstration runs etc.

I believe that many of us are suggesting locations in the Dublin region because there are suitable vacant sites there - some of which have considerable rail history.

Advertisement