Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Medical Student Syndrome

Options
  • 03-12-2009 1:30am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,939 ✭✭✭

This thread is just for a bit of fun.
    Its a well known fact that the best way to become a hypochondriac is to study medicine, and the best way to cure it is graduate.
    Did a bit of googling earlier on the matter and found that its even recognised as a disease.

I was sure I had diabetes last month, what with my polyuria and blurry vision.
    Even went to the doc to get my blood glucose levels checked.
    Everything is good.

So what "diseases" did all ye health professionals have as students?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,073 ✭✭✭sam34

well, i'm pretty convinced i have klein levin syndrome, the three main symptoms of which are hypersomnia, hyperphagia and hypersexuality :D

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 4,692 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tree

I think polyuria is a study associated condition, brought on by boredom-related-polydipsia...

• Registered Users Posts: 3,461 ✭✭✭DrIndy

It swings both ways - I heard a story from a radiologist about a mature medical student who's son has asthma.

Kid was pretty sick so he decided to check him out first to not annoy the GP. Listened to his chest - no wheeze to hear so reckoned it was just a wee viral infection. Sat on him for 24 hours and took him to the GP the next day because he wasn't better - still no wheezes.

GP calls an ambulance to take him immediately to hospital - kid turns out to have a silent chest - his asthma was so severe that there was no air moving to cause any wheeze! (in the end, the kid was fine)

So a little and too much knowledge is a dangerous thing!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 291 ✭✭liberal

This is unreal! I had a dream a few days back, i was studying late for an mcq on haematology...

I went to bed around 4am, the mcq was at 9am, my alarm clock woke me at 7am i put it on snooze to get another 10 mins (you know yourself)...in this snooze time i had a dream that i was in my shower, very vivid, i looked down at the palm of my hand and it was all bruised, i thought hmmm that must be from training or something, then i looked at my other palm and it was bruised too, i screamed out OH NO I'M A HAEMOPHILIAC! then i woke up heart pounding

• Registered Users Posts: 887 ✭✭✭wheresthebeef

In my last 6 weeks of training (nursing), i got this terrible headache on a monday afternoon, took all the usual OTC stuff, by wednesday it still hadn't gone, by thursday it was getting worse. Long story short, i managed to panic myself into thinking I was having a sentinel headache i.e precursor to a Cerebral Aneurysm. Thankfully some A&E SHO gave me some tramadol and sent me home and it eventually resolved.

• Advertisement
Advertisement