Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Wired -or- Wireless house alarm?

Options
  • 02-12-2009 10:30pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 2

Our house is prewired for a house alarm and recently had a door to door slaes guy promote an Eircom house alarm. He tried to sell me a wireless house alarm saying that they are better than wired. What do you think?

Comments

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,546 Mod ✭✭✭✭2011

If the cables are they, use them!

If I had to go wireless I would not go for Eircom. I would love to know what reasons he would give to back up his statement!

Normally Eircom will not put in a wireless system if the proper wiring is there.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,658 ✭✭✭✭altor

As 2011 said, if the cables are there you should use them. I would only install a wire free alarm if there are no cables in the premises or a hybrid system if there was a problem with the cables installed. A wire free alarm system is more expensive than a wired one plus with the wire free you are looking at replacing the batteries in the sensors every couple of years.

Sales men are there to make commission on what they sell, so to sell you a wire free alarm means more money in his pocket compared to the wired system he should of being trying to sell to you.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 600 ✭✭✭Rev. BlueJeans

One word, commission.

If the house is prewired, find a good installer and go with their recommendation, not some spiv on your doorstep with his own agenda :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 124 ✭✭yeahme

If the cables are there in place use them,
    source: Im a former spark
    why: cheaper to use them now than having to re jig ur house for wireless etc,
    and
    yeah hes a salesman so of course take what he says with a bucket of salt.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 600 ✭✭✭Rev. BlueJeans

And prick around changing batteries of course, I forgot that one :)

• Advertisement
Advertisement