Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

DOG WITH PANCREATITIS

Options
  • 02-12-2009 10:11pm
    Registered Users Posts: 8

Hi All,
    My 3 year old dog has just been diagnosed with pancreatitis vet says he needs to go on antibiotics for awhile and have some low fat food and bio yoghurt .He has had some really dodgy stomach problems for awhile now.

Does anyone have any experience of pancreatitis in dogs ?
    Is there anything else he can have ?
    Is there anything I can do to help him ?

Thanks ARL

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,579 ✭✭✭junkyard

My last dog died from pancreatitis, it came on very quickly one night, I drove her to the vets at 3am, he gave her an anti-inflammatory injection to ease her pain and I gave her another one a few hours later and took her straight to the vets at 9am. They operated on her and put her on pain killers for a few days but she died a couple of days later. My vet kept her in his surgery and she was in intensive care, I don't know how serious your dogs condition is but it's a very serious condition.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 782 ✭✭✭Paul91

check the Hills pescription diet food - very expensive, but we got our 16 year old Cairn on it for her poor functioning kidneys - they might have a low fat one http://www.hillspet.co.uk/ get it cheaper if bought via t'internet from UK than Vet's here

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26 laceyl

Hi Arl

My dog too has pancreatitis. He was very sick with it at first but thankfully got him to the vet in time for them to save him, as you must of done, so well done!

He was really bad with it at first and he was kept in for 5 days on fluids and wasn;t allowed eat anything to give his pancreas a rest. Upon release he was given a new diet of low fat and high fibre.

He has had it almost 3 years now and he is doing great. He has gotten a few bouts of it since the first time but not anywhere near as bad as he is on the correct diet now. Just make sure you stick 100% to the diet the vet gives you. No treats such as turkey bits, sausage or any supermarket treats (most have high fat and sugar contents) and fingers crossed he should be ok!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,756 ✭✭✭Jules

The pancreas is a very very sensitive organ and doesnt like to be upset! If your dog has it you should give nil by mouth for about 24-48 hours and then a low fat diet. He should be on meds to help with pain and also antibiotics for 2nd infection.

• Registered Users Posts: 8 arl

Thanks everyone for help and advice.
    he is now on royal canin low fat food and bio yogurt as vet told me too . This seems to have eased his problem a little . Vet didnt have the meds in stock that he needs so will have to wait till they arrive but he is on antibiotics for now.

He has suffered a long time now with bad tummy I always take him straight to vet as he gets very sick quite often , so hoping now that its diagnosed properly we can keep it at bay .
    Thanks again and any more information on this would be appreciated
    ARL

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 701 ✭✭✭Morganna

pancreaitis is a terrible disease .Ypu will need to put your dog on tablets containing enzymes from the vet .also watch his diet carefully .The dog will always be hungry with the pancreas not working properly.he will be literally starving to death as his food intake will be doing him no good at all.Make sure you dont give him fat in his diet tripe is beneficial if you want to know more feel free to pm me

Hi Morganna thanks for that the starving bit is so true and more so now that he is on the royal canin , he was on burns before this i thought it was just the change over in food that had him even hungrier now .
    Do you think it's ok to soak the food first ? would it help to fill him up more or should it just be dry ?

the most important thing is that you get him on the enzyme tablets they must be sprinkled on his food

Hi Morganna yeah he is on the tablets now

great news .

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,756 ✭✭✭Jules

You guys talking about prancrex and tryplase?

Jules wrote: »
    You guys talking about prancrex and tryplase?
    yes thats the ones

Hi just started the tryplase a few days ago but he is now refusing to eat all of his food . He isnt sick at the minute and appears to be hungry but just keeps sniffing the food I have tried feeding him without sprinkling tablets on food then he will eat no problem . have vet check up on Thursday but in mean time anyone know if this is normal when only starting these tablets ?
    Thanks arl

Advertisement