Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Changing a tyre

Options
  • 02-12-2009 9:35pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 49

Hi! Have my first driving test on friday (:eek:) and trying to get the final bits together now.
    Just wondering if the tester can ask you how you would go about changing a tyre? ..and any other tips on the test would be greatly appreciated too :o Thanks!

Comments

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 23,157 Mod ✭✭✭✭Alanstrainor

I'm not too sure about whether or not you could be asked about changing a tyre, although i've never heard it being asked. Even if you were, there's not much to it really.
    Check out THIS thread, there's plenty of info about what you can expect on the day of the test.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,960 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

Varyn wrote: »
    Just wondering if the tester can ask you how you would go about changing a tyre?
    (Presumably you mean changing a wheel? Changing a tyre is a job for professionals and can't really be done at the side of a road. ;))

Carrying a spare wheel is not a legal requirement (in a private car) so I doubt very much that the examiner could ask you about it or penalise you for not knowing.

• Registered Users Posts: 495 ✭✭brian076

Hi! Have my first driving test on friday (:eek:) and trying to get the final bits together now.
    Just wondering if the tester can ask you how you would go about changing a tyre? ..and any other tips on the test would be greatly appreciated too :o Thanks!

No you won't be asked how to change wheel/tyre. The technical checks are either questions under the bonnet, ie you'll be asked to explain how you'd perform a check on your engine oil, coolant, brake fluid or windscreen washer fluid.
    If you're not asked to open the bonnet, the tester will ask you, how would you check that your tyres are in a roadworthy condition, how would you check that your brake lights/reflectors are working, or how would you know if your handbrake was faulty.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,386 ✭✭✭monkeypants

brian076 wrote: »
    how would you know if your handbrake was faulty.
    That's a good question. My first response would be, "If your car isn't where you left it" but I doubt that's the answer that they're looking for.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 49 Varyn

Thanks everyone! Yea thought I wouldnt be but my dad was convinced i could be asked so just wanted to make sure! He's shown me how to so wouldn't have been a problem but wanted to have a test ready answer! Have the other technical checks sorted so all's good :)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,222 ✭✭✭robbie_998

That's a good question. My first response would be, "If your car isn't where you left it" but I doubt that's the answer that they're looking for.

Great response ! :D:D:D

but unfortunately that answer cant be used.

park on a hill with engine on and test the hand brake i guess, get ready to hit the break pedal though :pac:

really just park in gear

• Registered Users Posts: 495 ✭✭brian076

Nice one, I'd love to see the look on the tester's face.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,960 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

robbie_998 wrote: »
    park on a hill with engine on and test the hand brake i guess, get ready to hit the break pedal though
    Simply stop the car on a flat road. Apply parking brake. Put into 1st gear and engage clutch. If there is very little resistance or no resistance in moving forward, then the parking brake is not operating correctly.

Simply stop the car on a flat road. Apply parking brake. Put into 1st gear and engage clutch. If there is very little resistance or no resistance in moving forward, then the parking brake is not operating correctly.

nah you'll just shag up your clutch doing that and handbrake too for that matter :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 9,700 ✭✭✭Midnight_EG

Park on a slight hill, engage handbrake, let off the brakes, if the car rolls then there you go.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,512 ✭✭✭jaffa20

robbie_998 wrote: »
    nah you'll just shag up your clutch doing that and handbrake too for that matter :pac:

Yet, the alternative could put other drivers at risk:pac:

jaffa20 wrote: »
    Yet, the alternative could put other drivers at risk:pac:

no it wouldn't, thats what the foot brake is for and also do it when nobody is around

Varyn, how did you get on?

I passed :D 4 grade 2's. Delighted, loving the freedom now!

Oh and i didn't get asked bout changing a wheel ;)

Good man! :)

Woman ;) but thanks :)

Woman ;) but thanks :)
    Sorry. :o Can't believe I missed it, presuming that there's something there for me to miss.

Advertisement