Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

seaching for files on a company network

Options
  • 02-12-2009 7:56pm
    Registered Users Posts: 17,849 ✭✭✭✭

I have access to a standard network at work where I have access to specific drives but there seems to be a very basic hole in it. If I do a windows seach for a file using a key word and ask it to seach the contents of files on the network it returns results from other peoples profiles, even a few came up from the Group FD.
    Obviously I didnt click on any of the files but is it something thats easily fixed?

A belief in gender identity involves a level of faith as there is nothing tangible to prove its existence which, as something divorced from the physical body, is similar to the idea of a soul. - Colette Colfer

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,572 ✭✭✭msg11

silverharp wrote: »
    I have access to a standard network at work where I have access to specific drives but there seems to be a very basic hole in it. If I do a windows seach for a file using a key word and ask it to seach the contents of files on the network it returns results from other peoples profiles, even a few came up from the Group FD.
    Obviously I didnt click on any of the files but is it something thats easily fixed?

Humm, On the network in college, I can see all the computers on the network. But if I try access the files, I get access denied.

If not, logically seperate the computers threw domains or workgroup & close file sharing to other users not on the workgroup

• Registered Users Posts: 106 ✭✭iarann

If everybody logs in using a different username then your admin should be able limit what username can see what folder, not rocket science. If files are arranged in folders that can matched to a person it should only take a few hours to sort it out if you get somebody who knows what they are doing.

Remember that if you have a virus on your PC and you can access the full network, then it will spread much quicker.

If you do get into a discussion on security, just check that the files are being backed up and that somebody has done a test restore of a few files.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,849 ✭✭✭✭silverharp

just checked to be sure and yes , although I dont have access to other peoples folders I can seach a key word , it brings up word/excel doc.s and can open the files. I'll have to ponder mentioning it to IT, it may come in handy some day. lol

A belief in gender identity involves a level of faith as there is nothing tangible to prove its existence which, as something divorced from the physical body, is similar to the idea of a soul. - Colette Colfer

• Registered Users Posts: 8,811 ✭✭✭BaconZombie

If you don't have access then you should not be able to open them.
    More then likely you don't have access to the root of the share and/or folder but do have access to the sub-folder/files.

N00B mistake on the PFY's part...
    silverharp wrote: »
    just checked to be sure and yes , although I dont have access to other peoples folders I can seach a key word , it brings up word/excel doc.s and can open the files. I'll have to ponder mentioning it to IT, it may come in handy some day. lol

Advertisement