Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Motivation to study?

Options
  • 02-12-2009 7:52pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,664 ✭✭✭

I had a meeting with my career guidance counsillor regarding studying today. I was completly honest and told her everything. It's just I can't study.

Is there anything out there that you think can help me or even get me going?

What helped you people study?

Was it pressure from parents? Or just the sheer fact of needing yet?

Comments

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 7,395 Mod ✭✭✭✭**Timbuk2**

When I was doing my LC, I was competitive and my motivation to study was usually that I wanted to beat people in tests! Not in a malevolent or ill-meaning way, but just that I didn't like to see people get higher than me in a test.

Weird, I know...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,664 ✭✭✭Doyler92

That's a good reason. I used to be the same in primary school with the maths tests. But now I can hardly remember my own name :( so need to study but just can't.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,229 ✭✭✭pathway33

organisation.....have 7 piles...one for each subject.....have each subject sectioned off.....start with the past exam papers and nail the hot topics one by one....the first 2 or 3 topics will be tough....then when you realise you have done something that could well be on the exam that motivates you to do more....think of yourself writing nothing in the exam....that might motivate you

• Registered Users Posts: 136 ✭✭BDR

I'm the same..

Our Christmas tests start in a week though, so I hope they'll make me cop on and realise I need to do something for the mocks.

It feels like the lc isn't happening to us?I remember lecturing people this time last year on how they should be studying and now that it's me I'm like Ohhh I've plenty of time.

If you find some motivation let me know :D

• Registered Users Posts: 7,962 ✭✭✭jumpguy

When I was doing my LC, I was competitive and my motivation to study was usually that I wanted to beat people in tests! Not in a malevolent or ill-meaning way, but just that I didn't like to see people get higher than me in a test.

Weird, I know...
    I do that too. :) Also think of how much points your grade in the Leaving Cert will be if you get a test. If you get a B2 in an English test, just think how much points will a B2 in English be in your Leaving Cert? Is it enough, or isn't it? Or if you look back on this time in the future, do you want to think "I did my best" or "I wish I did my best"?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,076 ✭✭✭hunter164

I'm the same, I struggle to do me homework let alone study.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,556 ✭✭✭UpTheSlashers

Have you any idea what you want to do yet? I had a look at some of the courses im interested in and checked out the points I need. Then I worked out what I need to do in each of my subjects and this is giving me great motivation.
    Hope this helps

• Closed Accounts Posts: 53 ✭✭aoifeX

i imagine yourself come August, youve got low points, not nearly enough for any of the courses you want, all your friends are heading of to college and your stuck at home repeating or having to get a job in dunnes!!

then picture yourself in college or in your dream job and then think of what you have to do to get there.. 6 months work? i know theres a few years of college afterwards but 6 months to get ThE LC outta the way isnt to bad!!
    good luck!

• Registered Users Posts: 136 ✭✭crazeehorse

Doyler92 wrote: »
    But now I can hardly remember my own name :( so need to study but just can't.

if you quit smoking weed it might help with the name part at least!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5 rashers92

im in the same boat,
    I need some motivation too...ha
    (il start working hard after the xmas!)
    but im looking at it like this,
    one year will decide my future,only one YEAR!
    so just get what you want and then go to OXYGEN!
    good luck
    :D

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,039 ✭✭✭Seloth

I'm just getting over tis,litrally I jsut pushed myself tbh....I'm terrible for study but I forced myself and am slowly getting into a pattern.

Think bout what you want to do and thne image missing out on the points while all your friends go ahead :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 81 ✭✭elaine93

This might sound stupid, but it works for my brother. If its that you can't sit down and keep at it, organize with your parents or something that you get a euro or something for every half hour of study you do. So then you get instant gratification as opposed to it'll be great when I get the results back in 7 months or whatever.

The other thing is make sure you know you're learning type. Are you visual,auditory or kinesthetic. Then you can tailor your studying to your type.

In any case make absolutely sure you have no music playing and you are writing things down. Staring at the book is a waste of time. Make mind-maps, flashcards, pictures, anything to get more than one sense involved. If you have a colorful picture and a rhyme you'll remember it twice as well.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 553 ✭✭✭TheCandystripes

im ****ed. seriously. i cant motivate myself to study. i need 500 points.

im guarenteed 100 points in french but everything else i think ill fail. ah well.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,062 ✭✭✭DancingQueen:)

I find it very hard to study aswel. I usually only study when i have a test coming up. I'd say i was going to study and sometimes make out a plan but when it comes time to actually sitting down to study i just don't. I need some motivation! Mocks are three weeks after i come back after christmas :eek: Thought i'd scare myself into studying but it hasn't worked so far..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,039 ✭✭✭Seloth

im ****ed. seriously. i cant motivate myself to study. i need 500 points.

im guarenteed 100 points in french but everything else i think ill fail. ah well.

Theres people in my school doing studfy all the time litrally since 5th year to get that amount,,,you'd really want to get your game up now if you want that.

• Registered Users Posts: 585 ✭✭✭LovexxLife

Im starting to get very frightened cos my mocks are on the 29th of January:eek:
    So i really to get a move on

• Registered Users Posts: 215 ✭✭Duffman'05

Doyler92 wrote: »
    I had a meeting with my career guidance counsillor regarding studying today. I was completly honest and told her everything. It's just I can't study.

Is there anything out there that you think can help me or even get me going?

What helped you people study?

Was it pressure from parents? Or just the sheer fact of needing yet?

Saying this to myself every day and especially whenever I don't feel like studying;

''I will not repeat twice. I will NOT repeat twice.''

More so, the thought of opening my cao email in August, seeing the offer I want and being able to say 3 words;

''I did it!''.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,632 ✭✭✭SligoBrewer

Motivation?

Just picture the opening of the envelope, and seeing the results that you're actually ashamed of. The disappointment, and the feelings of self-pity when everyone else is actually over the moon. The telling your parents and the mortifying self shame as you know deep down that you could have done better but didn't.

Being made going out by your parents, but you actually feel like going to bed and crying. Then when you are out, it doesn't feel right. Everyone is OMG'ing and telling you that you didn't do that bad, but you know that you did.

That was me last year on August 14th. Don't let it be you.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,062 ✭✭✭DancingQueen:)

Motivation?

Just picture the opening of the envelope, and seeing the results that you're actually ashamed of. The disappointment, and the feelings of self-pity when everyone else is actually over the moon. The telling your parents and the mortifying self shame as you know deep down that you could have done better but didn't.

Being made going out by your parents, but you actually feel like going to bed and crying. Then when you are out, it doesn't feel right. Everyone is OMG'ing and telling you that you didn't do that bad, but you know that you did.

That was me last year on August 14th. Don't let it be you.

That made me want to work harder :o hope everything turned out ok in the end!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,632 ✭✭✭SligoBrewer

That made me want to work harder :o hope everything turned out ok in the end!

It did. I scraped into my 3rd choice on random selection but switched to a completely different course within a month of starting.

• Advertisement
Advertisement