Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Powerwashing

Options
  • 02-12-2009 6:53pm
    Registered Users Posts: 6,811 ✭✭✭

Do people use a powerwasher on their bike or is it bad for it?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,782 ✭✭✭P.C.

Very few people do.

The best way to wash a bike is with a cloth and a garden hose with slow running water.
    This way, the slow running water will wash the dirt away, but not do any damage.

I use a cloth and bucket - does the trick.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,463 ✭✭✭KTRIC

Never power wash a bike with a power washer. It forces water into seals etc.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 54 ✭✭randomway

I have the bike almost a year now and it never got a wash... I live in an apartment, with no taps or drains in the garage. I was wondering the same, would a powerwash from a distance work?
    To be honest, I just went through the bike with WD40 from time to time and let the bad weather do the rest.

I use a bucket of water and a few cloths and sponges. Muc off is also great for getting rid of the dirt and grime and excess chain lube.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,505 ✭✭✭macnab

Powerwashing is not a good idea, it can cause electrical short circuits and force water into oil seals etc.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 26 Johnny_Klebitz

Like everyone else has said, its a bad idea.

I bought a bike a few years ago and later discovered that the previous owner used to power wash the bike, which resulted in me having to change wheel bearings back and front, along with sprocket carried bearings. It'd destroy the headstock bearings also as its easy to force water in there with a power wash.

I will hold my hand up and admit to having to use a power washer in a garage last monday. I drove from Munich to Dublin at the weekend and picked up some salt on the bike.

I brought the ZZR to the local garage and turned the water jet on it but from a fair distance so it was more or less like a heavy rain shower. Normally wouldn't do it and definitely not up close.

It was about 4 to 5 meters from the bike so I think it was safe enough and not directed at it.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,782 ✭✭✭P.C.

KTRIC wrote: »
    I will hold my hand up and admit to having to use a power washer in a garage last monday. I drove from Munich to Dublin at the weekend and picked up some salt on the bike.

I brought the ZZR to the local garage and turned the water jet on it but from a fair distance so it was more or less like a heavy rain shower. Normally wouldn't do it and definitely not up close.

It was about 4 to 5 meters from the bike so I think it was safe enough and not directed at it.

Welcome to Dublin.

When are we going to see you out on a spin?

P.C. wrote: »
    Welcome to Dublin.

When are we going to see you out on a spin?

Back in Munich at the moment until the 19th so hopefully sometime around Christmas.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,659 ✭✭✭CrazyRabbit

randomway wrote: »
    I have the bike almost a year now and it never got a wash... I live in an apartment, with no taps or drains in the garage. I was wondering the same, would a powerwash from a distance work?
    To be honest, I just went through the bike with WD40 from time to time and let the bad weather do the rest.

You probably know this already, but it's worth saying. Be careful with the WD40. It damages rubber parts, causing them to break down.

• Advertisement
Advertisement