Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Router hit by Lightening!

Options
  • 02-12-2009 4:30pm
    Registered Users Posts: 4,291 ✭✭✭

OK - Wonder if someone could give some advice here.

We have a wireless broadband link with 'Regional Broadband'. This is connected to a Linksys WRT54GS router. The router gets its DHCP IP address from the broadband panel on the roof.

Anyway, on Saturday night our house was struck by lightening and our roof panel was broken. The broadband guys came out yesterday and replaced it.
    I can now get an internet link on my laptop if I plug directly into the LAN port that comes from the roof panel. My router though will not pick up an IP address from its internet port no matter what I do. I have reset it to no avail. It keeps showing an 'internet' address of 0.0.0.0.

Do you think the lightening strike fried some of the circuitry where the internet line comes in??!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 21,432 ✭✭✭✭Alun

If the laptop can get a connection and IP address OK and the router can't via the same port then the router is almost certainly fried too, I'd say. Might be worth double checking the settings on the router, esp. the WAN port settings (should be set to DHCP or something like that for the kind of connection you have), just in case it's just been reset somehow.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,572 ✭✭✭msg11

I would say its pheked. Then again, it could be something to do with the new aerial.

Are you getting a WAN address on the router?

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 90,844 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

anything that was plugged in at the time may be suspect :(

at a guess the WAN port on the router is fried, transformer or varistor perhaps ?

if you have not done so reset the router

• Registered Users Posts: 4,291 ✭✭✭arctictree

Thanks guys,

Nope, I'm not getting a WAN address on the router and I have reset it.

Have ordered a new one. Hopefully that will work!

A

Advertisement