Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Grace before meals

Options
  • 02-12-2009 3:11pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,229 ✭✭✭

Do protestants say the same grace before and after meals as Roman Catholics?

Bless us O God as we sit together
    Bless the food we eat today
    Bless the hands that made the food
    Bless us O God. Amen.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,026 ✭✭✭kelly1

pathway33 wrote: »
    Do protestants say the same grace before and after meals as Roman Catholics?

Bless us O God as we sit together
    Bless the food we eat today
    Bless the hands that made the food
    Bless us O God. Amen.

Isn't that the children's version? The one we say is:

"Bless us O Lord and these thy gifts
    which we are about to receive from your goodness
    Through Christ our Lord
    Amen"

• Registered Users Posts: 5,115 ✭✭✭homer911

Protestants dont in general have prescribed prayers, other than the Lord's Prayer

Spontaneity in Prayer is important, coming from the heart.

Grace before a meal would be a personal spontaneous prayer with the Christian thanking God not just for the food before them, but for all God's blessings that day

Thats not to say that an individual would not have their own favourite prayer..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,006 ✭✭✭Baggio

Kelly1 yup thats the one i grew up with

and my father still insists on saying it when we gather to eat when im on hols with my folks....

• Registered Users Posts: 2,229 ✭✭✭pathway33

kelly1 wrote: »
    Isn't that the children's version?

:o Nobody ever told me that :o

• Registered Users Posts: 1,783 ✭✭✭Puck

I usually thank God for the meal (often being specific like "thank you for curry!") and the company I have to eat it in (if I'm not alone).

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 22,479 ✭✭✭✭philologos

OP: Saying grace for me personally would be a matter of personal gratitude for the food I have before me and the company I have around me. I'd generally bring my own prayer to God in such a case.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 233 ✭✭rohatch

Would you be offended if a person refrained from your prayer that was sharing your table.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,783 ✭✭✭Puck

No, it would be worse for example if they pretended to be on speaking terms with my Dad when they don't even believe in Him.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

There are many Graces of course; the Franciscan Friars have a lovely one.

Always good to give thanks.

Whatever the words.

For so many have no food.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,686 ✭✭✭✭PDN

Look out teeth.
    Look out gums.
    Look out stomach.
    Here it comes!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 26,578 ✭✭✭✭Turtwig

pathway33 wrote: »
    :o Nobody ever told me that :o

+1,

Never knew that and we still say it that way at the family gathering during Christmas.:o

• Registered Users Posts: 3,196 ✭✭✭BrianCalgary

As a non-Catholic we say:
    Bless us O Lord for these thy gifts which we are about to recive from the bounty through Christ our Lord. Amen

I like this because we all can say it and it is not just one person giving thanks. Sometimes one of our family will add in a wee prayer of their own at th eend.

Advertisement