Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Two Pin Plug Question

Options
  • 02-12-2009 3:05pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 20,373 ✭✭✭✭

i am not sure where to find information about this as i have googled but any information is very confusing, so am going to ask here and hopefully some electricians can answer.

is it legal to sell or provide electrical appliances in ireland with a two pin plug on the lead instead of the standard three pin plug? are there any regulations dealing with this? is supplying a travel adapter a solution instead of getting the same product supplied with a proper three pin plug?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 37,295 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

They can supply an adapter with it, and iit's all nice and legal, as far as I know.

• Registered Users Posts: 589 ✭✭✭danjo

I cannot see why not.
    The third pin is an earth connection so if the device does not need to be earthed then there is no need for it.
    Devices such as razors, hair dryers etc do not need an earth.

A simple adapter will suffice to connect to the standard 13 amp socket.

While it may be inconvenient I cannot see how it could be illegal.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,168 ✭✭✭Frank Spencer

Not illegal as far as I can make out but the item may be considered "not fit for its purpose".
    The standard plugs in Ireland are 3 pin IS411 (BS 1363) type. You are entitled to expect that any electrical item that you buy in Ireland comes with a 3 pin plug. If it does not the item may be considered "not fit for its purpose" as per the Sale of Goods and Supply of Services Act, 1980. Never attempt to place a two pin plug in a three pin socket.

http://www.citizensinformation.ie/categories/consumer-affairs/consumer-protection/product-safety-and-labelling/safety_of_electrical_and_gas_products_and_furniture

• Registered Users Posts: 2,637 ✭✭✭brightspark

This is the relevant legislation

http://www.irishstatutebook.ie/1997/en/si/0525.html

Unless its a shaver or something similar it doesn't look like supplying a travel adaptor is adequate

The regs seem to state that it must be fixed "which encloses the fitted plug and can only be removed by the use of a tool"

I have seen a few of these fitted by companies

http://radionics.rs-online.com/web/search/searchBrowseAction.html?method=getProduct&R=0517482

• Registered Users Posts: 37,295 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

Yes. Often got these when ordering certain items from komplett.ie and hardwareversand.de

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 20,373 ✭✭✭✭foggy_lad

This is the relevant legislation

http://www.irishstatutebook.ie/1997/en/si/0525.html

Unless its a shaver or something similar it doesn't look like supplying a travel adaptor is adequate

The regs seem to state that it must be fixed "which encloses the fitted plug and can only be removed by the use of a tool"

I have seen a few of these fitted by companies

http://radionics.rs-online.com/web/search/searchBrowseAction.html?method=getProduct&R=0517482
    yes i thought there was something about the plug being a complete or single three pin unit which an adapter would not be unles it was enclosing the fitted plug and fixed by a screw.
    5. (1) A person shall not supply or offer to supply within the State an electrical appliance, electrical apparatus or device which—

(a) is designed to operate at a voltage of not less than 200 volts;

(b) is designed to operate at a maximum rated input of not more than 13 amps;

(c) is designed to be connected by means of a flexible cable or cord and plug, or itself mainly comprises a flexible cable or cord designed to be connected by means of a plug, to a socket conforming to IS 411 : 1997 and is ordinarily intended to be so connected directly without the use of a cable connector; and

(d) is ordinarily intended for domestic use:

unless—

(i) it is fitted with a 13 Amp plug which complies with Regulation 4 of these Regulations and which incorporates a fuse in accordance with the appliance manufacturer's instructions, or

(ii) is correctly fitted with a plug which does not comply with IS 401 : 1997 which complies with the safety provisions of IEC 884-1; “Plugs and socket-outlets for household and similar purposes — General requirements”, and its appropriate supplemented parts; and such plug is fitted with an adaptor approved by a designated person for compliance with the safety provisions of IEC 884-1 for use in conjunction with a non-IS 401 plug when connected to a IS 411 : 1997 socket, and which encloses the fitted plug and can only be removed by the use of a tool.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 90,855 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

sony camcorders use to come with an 3 pin adaptor

on the later ones you had to unscrew it to get at the 2 pin plug inside

- so they do exist

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,373 ✭✭✭✭foggy_lad

the device in question is fitted with a plug-transformer with two pins manufactured in china afaik and came supplied with an adapter for three pin sockets here in ireland but i thought they had to provide a three pin version of the transformer plug for the irish/uk markets?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,637 ✭✭✭brightspark

It seems it is on the excluded list!
    4. (1) A person shall not manufacture, assemble, store, supply, offer to supply or exhibit a 13 Amp plug unless—

(a) it complies with—

(i) IS 401 : 1997, or

(ii) a standard of another Member State which is equivalent to IS 401 : 1997, and

(b) has received type approval from a designated person.

(2) This Regulation does not apply to any electrical device specified in the Second Schedule to these Regulations.

SECOND SCHEDULE

Regulation 4

Excluded Electrical Devices.

1. Any plug similar device including any plug, socket or adaptor which incorporates any other electrical device (other than fuse link, switch or indicator light).
    “plug similar device” means a device intended for domestic use incorporating plug pins and intended to be plugged directly into a socket-outlet and includes:

(a) an adaptor,

(b) a small power supply incorporating plug pins and intended to be plugged directly into a socket-outlet,

Advertisement