Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Sky Player Windows 7

Options
  • 02-12-2009 3:05pm
    Registered Users Posts: 279 ✭✭

Hey guys, I upgraded to windows 7 a few weeks ago and i heard you can get sky player through windows media center. I have multi room and am able to access sky player no problem through the sky website. I was just wondering how i can go about getting this add in for windows media center. Any info you guys could give would be greatly appreciated. Thanks Aaron

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 34,568 ✭✭✭✭Biggins

Pop along to here and have a look at the "On Xbox 360 and WMC!" mention: http://skyplayer.sky.com/vod/page/default/home.do

or here: http://skyplayer.sky.com/watch/windows-media-center/

• Registered Users Posts: 1,020 ✭✭✭BraveDonut

Do you need to change a setting in WMC to make sky player available?
    I have an account and can access through sky player - but I can't see a SKY option in WMC.
    Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 279 ✭✭apope8

Just had a look at the website and it says UK only :( anyone know anyway around this?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,669 ✭✭✭mukki

i read you just change the pc region to Uk

i have it on my 360, only 27 live channels (25 last week)

but about 600movies that you can watch from the begining and resume at any time, makes it a pretty good gadget

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,430 ✭✭✭testicle

Change the PC location to United Kingdom, set HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Media Center\Settings\ProgramGuide\strCountryCode (REG_SZ) to GB

You may also need to stop Media Center services, and tasks and delete the mcepg2-0 file & dir in the following location:
    C:\ProgramData\Microsoft\eHome

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,386 ✭✭✭EKRIUQ

I think its not until later this year until the sky player is on to the media player

Cheers guys for all the help, il give that a shot.

EKRIUQ wrote: »
    I think its not until later this year until the sky player is on to the media player

Incorrect.

97915.png

testicle wrote: »
    Change the PC location to United Kingdom, set HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Media Center\Settings\ProgramGuide\strCountryCode (REG_SZ) to GB

You may also need to stop Media Center services, and tasks and delete the mcepg2-0 file & dir in the following location:

Thanks for this info just two questions
    Is the region change (Hkey_local) done through regedit.exe?

And how do i go about stopping Media Center services, and tasks and deleting the mcepg2-0 file & dir in the following location:

Sorry im not that familer with this type of stuff.

Thanks

ok i followed all those steps testicle and i still dont see the sky symbol :( anything else i should look for??

• Advertisement

apope8 wrote: »
    Thanks for this info just two questions
    Is the region change (Hkey_local) done through regedit.exe?

And how do i go about stopping Media Center services, and tasks and deleting the mcepg2-0 file & dir in the following location:

Sorry im not that familer with this type of stuff.

Thanks

yeah, regedit

Click Start, type services, and click on view local services ensure anything starting with Windows Media Center is stopped (right click -> Stop)

C:\ProgramData\Microsoft\eHome is a hidden folder, so copy and paste it into the address bar in Explorer and you'll get it it.
    ok i followed all those steps testicle and i still dont see the sky symbol :( anything else i should look for??

Reboot after and in Media Center go to Tasks -> Settings -> General -> Automatic Download Options -> Download Now

testicle wrote: »
    yeah, regedit

Click Start, type services, and click on view local services ensure anything starting with Windows Media Center is stopped (right click -> Stop)

C:\ProgramData\Microsoft\eHome is a hidden folder, so copy and paste it into the address bar in Explorer and you'll get it it.

Reboot after and in Media Center go to Tasks -> Settings -> General -> Automatic Download Options -> Download Now

Ok i think were getting closer, i did all that and downloaded the latest guide. All thats new now is that i have a new line called sports, and extras now has an extras gallery button. Still no sky tho. Very frustrating :( any thing else i'm missing

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,635 ✭✭✭xsiborg

All thats new now is that i have a new line called sports, and extras now has an extras gallery button

apope i think perhaps maybe you edited the wrong registry settings, testicles method does work (surprisingly well actually! sky internet tv in the WMC desktop gadget, nice touch!), BUT, the only thing is, it did put out my live tv settings, so i had to go through live tv setup again, and of course "brains" here clicked Ireland instead of clicking UK, which would probably have kept the sky player, but, meh, im typing this off my netbook right now so as soon as im back at the HTL (home theater laptop?) i'll see what i can do again...

Live TV is just for a Tuner Card isn't it?

I don't see why Sky have limited the one in Windows 7 MC to UK only - the one in the 360 is UK & Ireland isn't it? Sky Player itself is also UK & Ireland.

spot on testicle, (haha, ok, schoolboy giggles aside!), but yes, you're correct, i have the sky player on the xbox 360 also and it works as a separate app away from the MCE extender part, ie, no integration with the epg.
    yep mce "live tv" option is only for tuner cards, so i presume what i should have done to keep the sky player in MCE was to choose the UK as my region and therefore get the UK sky epg, therefore no RTE, TV3, not absolute necessity but nice to have. i know you could do manual channel editing later on but thats a whole other ball game, but i think it's the way we'll have to go until they do a IE rollout of the sky player..

Hey xsiborg

i prob have done something wrong, if you dont mind whenever you have the time could you go tru it step by step. Id really like to get this working properly.

cheers

i have managed to get sky player and live tv epg playing nicely together, if you use the chelsea postcode "SW3 1PP", you can still manually set up sky uk as your satellite provider.
    the only caveat so to speak, is that well, until i have time tomorrow i suppose, you don't get tv3 showing up, you do however get RTE1 and 2, albeit with a little bit of re-ordering channels it looks exactly the same as the irish one.
    only a little better, with the likes of what would normally be in "other channels" on the sky STB such as cbeebies (my young lad watches it), and the likes of the hallmark channel (hallmark+1) on 130 and 150 respectively.

happy camper for now at least! :)

I also followed all the steps here:

- Made the registry change
    - deleted the files and folders
    - Stopped the services
    - rebooted
    - Automatic download options - download now

All I get now is some stuff under Extras\explore\showcase:
    Arsenal TV gold, Everton TV on demand, etc

I have a working skyplayer account on this PC.

Do I need to do someting else to see all of the available content?

Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 6,810 ✭✭✭phill106

I rang sky, they havent a clue about it, put me onto their broadband support, who just directed me to use the skyplayer instead of media centre. Disappointing. I think there needs to be some way to register your media centre with your sky account. at the moment, when i go into tv, guide i can see the watch live buttons and but clicking on any of them does nothing.

BraveDonut wrote: »
    I also followed all the steps here:

- Made the registry change
    - deleted the files and folders
    - Stopped the services
    - rebooted
    - Automatic download options - download now

All I get now is some stuff under Extras\explore\showcase:
    Arsenal TV gold, Everton TV on demand, etc

I have a working skyplayer account on this PC.

Do I need to do someting else to see all of the available content?

Thanks

Did you change your location to United Kingdom?

Control Panel -> Clocks, Language, and Region -> Change location

• Advertisement

yes - no change

BraveDonut wrote: »
    You Sexy beast!!!! Worked like a charm this thread can be closed, issue solved :)

• Registered Users Posts: 8 kmcgraphics.com

I had a similar problem and after loads of tinkering around with changing country settings to UK which didnt work I got the following solution to work

Got to C> Program Data> Microsoft >eHome Delet all files/folders from it. Restart computer
    Opened Media center > Settings > General> Windows Media centre setup> Run Setup again
    Then go to Settings > General > Automatic Download options > Download now.
    It gave me Skyplayer link to install skyplayer.

All working fine now

97915.png

• Registered Users Posts: 28,789 ✭✭✭✭ScumLord

I just turned on windows media centre (win7 64) and it asked me did I want to turn on a gadget for watching internet tv. I said yes and that came up with the option of installing the sky player from the gadget, it's working now but I don't have a sky id.

Is sky the only option for internet tv, are there other free services that I can install?

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 90,695 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

ScumLord wrote: »
    Is sky the only option for internet tv, are there other free services that I can install?
    RTE / BBC / Channel 4 all have players.

BUT you aren't entitled to watch pay TV without a proper contract. I'm ok with the workarounds above because SKY subscribers can already view the content in this country.

Don't anyone post info on how to bypass restrictions imposed by the service provider. - Keep it legal folks

• Registered Users Posts: 28,789 ✭✭✭✭ScumLord

RTE / BBC / Channel 4 all have players.
    Can you work those through WMC though, I use C4 and RTE allot already on the sites.

I had a similar problem and after loads of tinkering around with changing country settings to UK which didnt work I got the following solution to work

Got to C> Program Data> Microsoft >eHome Delet all files/folders from it. Restart computer
    Opened Media center > Settings > General> Windows Media centre setup> Run Setup again
    Then go to Settings > General > Automatic Download options > Download now.
    It gave me Skyplayer link to install skyplayer.

All working fine now

You don't need to do any of that ****e now, it works for Ireland too.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,529 ✭✭✭warlikedave

point of interest: From July 6th I think

Why is Sky Player on Windows Media Center closing?
    Sky Go is available on a range of devices including iPhone, iPad, iPod touch, laptop or PC or Mac. Windows Media Center is no longer included however you can still watch via your laptop or PC.
    From the skyplayer website

I think this is an utter disgrace for anyone who build a PC/Home theater around Windows Media Centre with DVB-T/T2 and/or DVB-S/S2 Tuners. Your thoughts folks?

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 90,695 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

I think this is an utter disgrace for anyone who build a PC/Home theater around Windows Media Centre with DVB-T/T2 and/or DVB-S/S2 Tuners. Your thoughts folks?
    This isn't really the place to discuss SKY's policies. Is it a licensing or development cost issue, how would it benefit SKY to provide a service that competes with you renting a second digibox ?

Suffice it to say that SKY have a very long history of making sure that their protected content stays protected and using every trick in the book to encourgage people to sign up for digiboxes.

A long shot but you might get some more info here http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/forumdisplay.php?f=58

It should be possible to foward stuff from a PC to the WMC as a workaround.

Advertisement