Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Net book or Laptop for my Dad

Options
  • 02-12-2009 3:04pm
    Registered Users Posts: 75 ✭✭

Hi all,

I am thinking of getting a laptop (less than €500) or netbook for my Dad this christmas he is 60 years old and is really interested in learning how to use the computer, surfing the net, email and maybe the odd letter or two!! I can't decide wheter to get a net book or a basic laptop my pref is a laptop like the Dell Inspiron which is working out at around €450 for the basic spec. A Netbook is going to work out at around €350 -€400 for a decent one. My question is which one am I better off going for and any recommendations would be great.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 618 ✭✭✭Farcear

I would go for the larger laptop. If your dad isn't that familiar with computers and uses a hunt and peck typing style, then you don't want to be messing about with a reduced size keyboard. A larger screen size is always useful and if this isn't going to be used on the move a lot then the biggest benefit of a netbook -- its ultra-portability is lost.

As for recommendations, a basic spec laptop should be more than sufficient. Probably doesn't even need a core2duo processor but you will need to do is reinstall the OS to get rid of all the useless bloatware that comes pre-installed on most systems. With that, you should have a blank slate of a desktop and a fairly good place to start learning about computers from. Remember to get a USB mouse too!

Advertisement