Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Which way to run alarm wiring

Options
  • 02-12-2009 12:57pm
    Registered Users Posts: 22

I'm doing some work on the house and want to run cables for a new alarm to all the windows.

I want the upstairs and downstairs windows on separate zones. Can I loop the cable from one window to the next (preferred due to space) or should I run a single strand to each window?

Thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,658 ✭✭✭✭altor

ackd wrote: »
    I'm doing some work on the house and want to run cables for a new alarm to all the windows.

I want the upstairs and downstairs windows on separate zones. Can I loop the cable from one window to the next (preferred due to space) or should I run a single strand to each window?

Thanks.

Either way will work but if you ever have problems with the cables it wont be as easy to fix if the windows are looped together. Another thing to note is if you have a faulty sensor on a loop it is a lot harder to find.

If you install a text dialer on the system also you are better off putting one sensor on each zone so you know what window has activated.

Hope this helps..

• Registered Users Posts: 1,257 ✭✭✭Pete67

Better to run seperate cables from each sensor back to the panel location - that give you maximum flexibility to layout zones as required when wiring the panel (sensors can be grouped as required and combined into various zones at the panel) and also greatly simplifies trouble shooting later on.

Advertisement