Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Anyone any good christmas recipes?

Options
  • 02-12-2009 12:33pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,553 ✭✭✭

As the title says, do any of you have any good recipes for Christmas dinner?
    Last year found a lovely turkey one, put a slice in a large turkey breast and stuff with dried cranberries, sweet oranges and nuts, was delicious!
    I'm also looking for starters or nibbles for while waiting for dinner(my family can't wait once they smell food!)
    Also any tasty festive drinks?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 118 ✭✭mrs moneypenny

Homemade Cranberry Sauce ......... I'm making it this afternoon. :D

One pack of fresh cranberries
    Juice of one orange
    Zest of one orange
    Vodka - a good splash
    Black pepper (about 8 peppercorns ground)
    1 oz of white sugar
    A cup of water
    This is not strictly a recipe – you can add more of anything if you wish, even after it is cooked. Cranberries can lean towards bitterness so start with 1oz of sugar and add more at the end. Make it to your own taste.

1. Put everything, except the cranberries, into a large non-stick saucepan.
    2. Bring to the boil and stir. Add the water.
    3. When the sugar is melted, add the cranberries.
    4. Mix well to coat the cranberries – put the lid on the saucepan and cook for 10 minutes.
    5. Take the lid off and taste. Add more sugar if it is too bitter, put the heat back on and taste again. Add more vodka if you want more of a kick. Add a litle more black pepper to balance out the flavours. If you have too much fluid, put it back on the heat and boil until the sauce reduces, stirring.
    6. Now, it's your family cranberry sauce recipe!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29 hem

Sausage & Bacon Curls (these can be made in advance and frozen):

* 30 cocktail sausages
    * 10 strips streaky bacon

Using a heavy rolling pin, roll out the strips of bacon until they are doubled in length. Then cut each strip into 3 and then wrap around each cocktail sausage.

To cook: I throw them on a foil covered tray and stick them in when the turkey is cooking (160 degrees C) for about half an hour- taking them out and giving them a good shake to turn them from time to time.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,240 ✭✭✭alibabba

Anyone that I gave this recipe to and have tried it have come back saying its fab, specially for Christmas Day Desert.

Ingredients :

Baileys
    2 packets of good quality choc chip cookies
    2 cartons Freshly whipped cream
    Good quality dark chocolate chopped into tiny little pieces -- Bourneville is good
    3 bars Flakes for decoration or small black n white choc buttons

Method :

Take the cookies, one by one and dunk them into the Baileys a couple of times, then place them one by one into a large glass bowl. You want to place them in such a way as to make a layer of cookies on the bottom of the bowl. Smaller cookies work better here. Then spread a thin layer of fresh whipped cream over the cookies. Try and keep it as thin as possible. Then sprinkle the dark choc over the cream.

Then more cookies on top of this, followed by the cream, then dark choc. You are basically creating layers and layers of cookies, cream & choc.

The bigger the glass bowl, the more ingredients you will need. So dont have it too large, this is a very heavy and filling desert, one or two desertspoons is more than enough with some choc chip mint ice cream.

When you have all of the layers completed, you can decorate the top with some flake choc, or any other method that suits.
    Cling film the top and pop into fridge overnite.

Christmas Day, when you take it out after scoffing the turkey n ham down, it will have fused together like a Vienetta IceCream, and will smell wonderful when you take the cling film off. Remember to go easy on the thickness of the cream, too much and it will be too heavy.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 135 ✭✭smilingeyerish

alibabba wrote: »
    Anyone that I gave this recipe to and have tried it have come back saying its fab, specially for Christmas Day Desert.

Ingredients :

Baileys
    2 packets of good quality choc chip cookies
    2 cartons Freshly whipped cream
    Good quality dark chocolate chopped into tiny little pieces -- Bourneville is good
    3 bars Flakes for decoration or small black n white choc buttons

Method :

Take the cookies, one by one and dunk them into the Baileys a couple of times, then place them one by one into a large glass bowel. You want to place them in such a way as to make a layer of cookies on the bottom of the bowel. Smaller cookies work better here. Then spread a thin layer of fresh whipped cream over the cookies. Try and keep it as thin as possible. Then sprinkle the dark choc over the cream.

Then more cookies on top of this, followed by the cream, then dark choc. You are basically creating layers and layers of cookies, cream & choc.

The bigger the glass bowel, the more ingredients you will need. So dont have it too large, this is a very heavy and filling desert, one or two desertspoons is more than enough with some choc chip mint ice cream.

When you have all of the layers completed, you can decorate the top with some flake choc, or any other method that suits.
    Cling film the top and pop into fridge overnite.

Christmas Day, when you take it out after scoffing the turkey n ham down, it will have fused together like a Vienetta IceCream, and will smell wonderful when you take the cling film off. Remember to go easy on the thickness of the cream, too much and it will be too heavy.

I thought it was a typo the first time you said it but nope, you said bowel three times.... I'm not sure I would like to eat this out of a bowel! what type of bowel should we use? maybe we could call it baileys bowel! sounds tasty!:D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,240 ✭✭✭alibabba

I thought it was a typo the first time you said it but nope, you said bowel three times.... I'm not sure I would like to eat this out of a bowel! what type of bowel should we use? maybe we could call it baileys bowel! sounds tasty!:D

eeeeeeeeeeeeeeeek !
    Shocking spelling indeed,
    god i hope i dont put you off the desert !!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,553 ✭✭✭mymo

@hem, I do something like that with Pork mince, herbs, garlic and tiny bit of tomato puree. Roll into balls and roll up in rasher......Yum!
    Thanks guys, keep em coming!

Chocolate cookies and baileys one sounds lovely(bowels aside)Thanks Alibabba!

• Registered Users Posts: 38 dumac

Alternative mince pies (filo pastry with a Cointreau sauce):

1. Lightly beat one egg white. Add a dessertspoon of olive oil.
    2. Lightly brush 10 sheets of defrosted filo pastry with this egg mix.
    3. Place 8 oz/225g of sweet mincemeat in a bowl and mix gently with a fork to soften it and make it more spreadable.
    4. Line the bottom of a rectangular tin with 5 sheets of the filo.
    5. Spread the mincemeat evenly over the top of the pastry.
    6. Place 5 more sheets of the pastry over the mincemeat, crumpling the pastry at the edges. Brush the top with some beaten egg.
    7. Mix 1 oz / 25g of caster sugar with half a teaspoon of cinnamon and dust the top of the “lasagne”.
    8. Bake in the oven at 200C for 15-20 minutes until golden brown and cooked. Keep an eye on the filo though – it can burn quite easily.
    Sauce and more recipes here:
    http://irishherault.wordpress.com/2009/11/10/mince-pies-mincemeat-lasagne/

• Closed Accounts Posts: 113 ✭✭baubl

mymo wrote: »
    As the title says, do any of you have any good recipes for Christmas dinner?
    Last year found a lovely turkey one, put a slice in a large turkey breast and stuff with dried cranberries, sweet oranges and nuts, was delicious!
    I'm also looking for starters or nibbles for while waiting for dinner(my family can't wait once they smell food!)
    Also any tasty festive drinks?
    I make my own baileys

cream
    irel coffee
    vanilla essence
    condensed milk
    brandy
    shaken well on ice,
    I have it every Christmas, everyone enjoy it, knock em dead

Advertisement