Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

To Repeat the Leaving cert or Not? HELP!

Options
  • 02-12-2009 11:36am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 4

I am 18, having done my leaving cert last June (its 2/12/09 now). I did a good amount of work, but didn't kill myself studying and got 505 points. I am in UCD now doing Human Nutrition but amn't 100% happy and it isn't until now that I have really thought about my other options. I really can't decide if I should stick at my course and see if it grows on me, or finish the course and do a post grad in something I'd really love like physio or veterinary. I'm worried that if I repeat I may not get more points, or what if I do worse, and don't even get the course I'm doing now, Human Nutrition? What if the Leaving jus doesnt go my way this year? Has anyone else been in my position or have any advice? I'm really stuck. I'm also concerned if it is too late to start in the Institute of Education at this stage? Would I fall behind, and be in a worse position than when I sat the leaving the first time round? Also, if i repeated this year, having already done half a year in UCD, would I have to pay college fees when I start college again? HELP!!!!!!! running out of time as I really don't want to begin 6th year in September 2010!

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 53 ✭✭aoifeX

go with what u really want to do!! in fairness do u really want to be saying what if? for the rest of your life!! give it a go and if you got 505 last time and u study hard this time theres no reason y u wouldnt go up points!!
    not sure about the fees side of things but i THINK u mite half 2 pay halp fees.. cud b wrong tho!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 585 ✭✭✭Daragh101

505points:eek::eek:....what is it you want to do that requires more point than that?

• Registered Users Posts: 744 ✭✭✭leesmom

its not too late to start in the institute , people start right up till january.
    not so sure about the college fees, if i were you i'd repeat , whats the point spending 4 years doing something u dont like? isnt physio like 520 points or something? surely u could get that if you got 505 last time

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5 Erlt

I'd advice you to drop it. I mean sticking with a subject you don't like, every day of your college year, for 4 years. You'll end up hating it, and probably the reasons you went into it.One thing you might want to look into is if you can finish this year, and maybe go into 2nd Science, that will open a lot of doors for you, physio, anatomy, biochem, so forth, and not cost extra fees.
    If you leave now and go back next year, I'm 80% sure that you'll have to pay, also it might mess things up if your getting a grant or anything.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,744 ✭✭✭theowen

It's not too late for the 'tute but you'd seriously have to work your arse off; I've finished half the course in a few of my subjects already:rolleyes:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 29,089 ✭✭✭✭LizT

If you're willing, you could apply for these courses through UCAS and you'd get an unconditional offer of a place in university before March/ April.

• Registered Users Posts: 5 Tequilita

As someone who dropped out of college in Jan and went straight into the Institute, it definitely can be done if you so want. You've covered the subjects before so it all comes back fairly quickly and then you just want to tweak the details to move higher into the 500points range. I picked up a new subject on the 20th Jan that year and got an A2 - teaching is excellent, really no comparison to a typical secondary school.
    Word of advice as regards veterinary - NOT something to be entered into lightly, definitely a vocation -crap money, high stress levels, long long hours. Will cost you min of 50,000e as postgrad in actual fees never mind cost of placements etc..And is difficult to get into - many go back and repeat the LC having failed to get in the post-grad route.
    I know you're not really feeling the course at the moment and I completely understand that but I would take into account that the first year of any course can often seem uninterestingly tedious as the basics are covered. Also, there is a lot to be said for a nice 9-5 job where you can cut and run at the end of the day - have the time and money to have a true quality of life..
    Good luck with your decision.
    PS - I think that you keep the highest points of the LC years you sat regardless

• Closed Accounts Posts: 81 ✭✭elaine93

Go back and do what you set out to do.
    I was talking to a man once and he got whatever 565 points and did dentistry when he wanted to do medicine. He said he was so unhappy and disappointed with his career that at 45 he went back and now he's a doctor and he said that it was the best thing he ever did and wished he'd realized it sooner.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 298 ✭✭Kenteach

Find out what options are open to you if you finish 1st year. You'd never know, could be avenues available that will appeal to you.
    Failing that, its not too late to repeat. I repeated. Didn't attend half the lessons second time around, but had the subjects covered, just needed to tweak them and become more exam-smart. Improved by 140 points (although from a lower starting point than yourself!)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 31 bloodmager

re:edonlon333

I am EXACTLY the same situation as you!!!!! I am doing Biomedical,Health and Life science in UCD but I am not really happy about it. I also got 505 points for the leaving this june and I really want to do Physiotherapy as well!!

By the way, if you are doing human nutrition then we may have seen each other before in lecture hall cos my elective module is food,Diet and Health!

If you drop out now, you can get half of the fees back but not later than 31 January 2010. Since the government will introduce College fees everyone has to pay 5k-8k euros next year.

I will be going to arrange a meeting with the programme officer of physio and talk about my case. You should do that as well and see what options/pathway you can do to get your course you're interest in!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4 edonlon333

the more people I talk to, the more I sway towards repeating. Go to gotocollege.ie, then to discussions, then to 3rd level education and i posted the same problem there and got a completely different response, u shud look at it. Are you studying for these christmas exams? Cant decide if I'm wastin my time doin it tho..wen i cud b studyin for the leaving mayb. I think we'd easily catch up in the institute. 6 months, to go is a long time. Might go into careers office tomorrow.

• Registered Users Posts: 235 ✭✭Aru

Its not to late to go back but if you dont want to pay fee's you need to go back and tell your collage before january.

I repeated and got Vet so it is doable just be prepared to work your ass off for the next few months these are the ones that count anyway.It is to late to apply to UCAS for vet at least not sure about physio but if you can get 505 you are capable of getting more with a few months of hard labour.
    You can always go back to collage next year to human nutrition if it doesnt work out as you keep you 505 regardless.

But be warned vet is not a job to take on lightly,you need to want to do it.Otherwise it's just not worth it as a course.see my reply in the vet post here to see why.im to wrecked to write it all twice

Advertisement