Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Ford Focus 1.6 TDCI losing power

Options
  • 02-12-2009 2:49am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 7

This is a difficult one. I have a 2005 TDCI Focus with 90000 on the clock, at first the car started to loose power when it got extremly low on diesel and when it was refilled it regained its power, now it doesn't matter if its full of diesel, it still does this.

This 'loss of power' started a few months ago. In the mornings the car will go fine until 30 seconds it will just 'die'. It struggles to get past 50mph, I hold my foot the whole way down on the pedal and it just won't go any faster and does this for about two miles and then suddenly it picks up its normal speed again.

I'm really annoyed over this, I have taken it to 3 mechanics who have excellent reputations and they just can't find anything wrong with the car, typically the car was driving 'normal' when i took it to them so they could not see for themselves the loss of power. Everything has being checked, from the turbo to the fuel filther and all is in order.

EDIT: I forgot to mention that I have let the car run out of diesel 3 times so far this year, but I asked about dirt in the tank possibly going to the engine and the mechanic said it didn't matter as there would have being dirt in the tank anyway.

Can anybody put me out of my misery by knowing what could be happening here? :)

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 36 Serafina27

I witnessed a "part time" mechanic pull the previous mechanics cloth from the airfilter! Otherwise there could have been dirt in the tank which ended up in the engine?? Just a guess??

• Registered Users Posts: 1,763 ✭✭✭Muckie

Sounds very like the car is bein starved of fuel, did any of
    the mechanics blow out the fuel lines or change the fuel filter.
    Thats where i'd start.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,830 ✭✭✭shawnee

Sounds very like a fuel problem. Would definitely change the fuel filter and maybe add a fuel additive to help clean the tank. Have similar model myself and had a similar problem, changed the filter and gave it a good fast drive and it seems to have sorted itself. Very bad idea to let these run out of fuel !!;)

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 233 ✭✭AzureAuto

Even though the mechanics who looked at the car didnt pull any fault codes up using their scanners, doesnt mean that thee isnt valuable nformation to be gleaned from checking your cars sensor outputs, oost pressure levels, fuel pressure levels.
    Best to start with simple things. When was the fuel filter and air filter last changed? Have turbo pipes been checked for security, holes, tears etc.
    Have a sample of diesel checked for metal filings. Not uncommon for the bearings/rollers in the fuel pump to wear, causing insufficient common rail pressure and potential injector failures.
    Where are you based? I have suitable diagnostic equipment and am mobile.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7 extremethinker

Thanks for the replys so far, anyone else anymore ideas?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,025 ✭✭✭Row

As AzureAuto you will need to read live data on your hp pump to see what
    its outputting @ different rpm's.if its on the low side it maybe the hp pump..:eek:...the dv6 engine has'nt got a lift pump in the tank so you can rule that out...:)
    if you've ran out of diesel tree times theres a good chance its fuel related...:rolleyes:

Common rail diesels do not like dirty diesel.

Maybe your dpf is beginning to block...thats if you have one.
    What mileage have you on the car...??
    Did the garage(s) pick up any p-codes (fault codes)..??
    Did the garages carry out a leak off test on the injectors...??
    Ron.

Advertisement