Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Earphones to amp

Options
  • 02-12-2009 12:52am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 2,653 ✭✭✭

Hi.

I want to be able to have earphones to hear what is coming through the turntables to the amp

ie

seperate to what is coming out of the mixers earphones - which show what is currently playing or what is cued up to play.

I want the cuts to be what comes out through the second set of earphones.

I hope my point is clear and would love any solutions - the whole set up is a kam package.

Thanks in advance.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,456 ✭✭✭Jev/N

You're describing what you want in a very confusing way?

You don't want to listen to the cue, or the master, so what do you want to listen to?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,653 ✭✭✭conchubhar1

when i am scratching a record it comes out on the amp speakers when I switch the fader but not in the mixer earphones

I want to hear what comes out of the amp - but with earphones not the speakers.

I'm guessing you just want to hear your scratches with the fader flicks so if it's coming out through the master - set the headphone knob to master

Otherwise, if it's on a channel but not on the master - use the cue on the channel and set the headphone knob to "cue" or "pfl"

hhhmm i dont get what your saying.

can i connect earphones to the kam amp instead of speakers?

how do i do that - the only connection it has is for a mic and at the back it has red and black connection for the speaker wires.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,613 ✭✭✭milltown

Would I be right in saying that your mixer doesn't have a "balance" knob to let you set how much of the cue or master you want to hear? Does it have a switch that sets to ch1 or ch2 instead? You want to hear the output from both decks without having to switch the phones between channels or something.

Maybe tell us what it is that you do, or would like to do, with your setup. Might help us get a better handle on what you're trying to ask.

Edit: Hang on. Are you just looking to listen to the mixer output through your cans rather than through the speakers? What type of amp is it? AFAIK even a headphone output needs to be amplified somewhat (open to correction there). If the amp has no headphone socket and the mixer phone output can only be one channel or t'other then I don't have the answer but I'd be amazed if there wasn't a cheap headphone amp available to take the place of your KAM amp for quiet practice.

• Advertisement

''I'd be amazed if there wasn't a cheap headphone amp available to take the place of your KAM amp for quiet practice.''

thats it exactly - there is no earphone socket in the amp.

as i understand it you need an amp for the sound to be heard from the mixer so how do i get earphones to work for what is coming out of the amp - ie scratching etc not just what is coming out of the cueing earphones like the mixer ones.

I can hear both turntables when they are both playing but the earphones from the mixer are for cueing - dont show up fader scratches.

if i move the fader to either side - it doesnt matter i can still hear whatever record is spinning
    the fader scratches shows up on the amp - i want that quite through earphones.

Post up the model number of the KAM mixer if you have it to hand...

• Registered Users Posts: 4,613 ✭✭✭milltown

Something like this then:
    http://www.amazon.co.uk/Skytronic-4-Channel-Headphone-Amplifier/dp/B000U6JF9G/ref=sr_1_17/279-7366177-4507643?ie=UTF8&s=electronics&qid=1259827084&sr=1-17

That should take the line level output from your mixer and let you listen to it with headphones. Amazon was the only place I checked so I'm sure if you shop around for "headphone amplifier" you'll find better/cheaper/more suitable.

I'm curious. Are you going to keep swapping headphones to cue up your scratches, then listen to them? Or do you plan to hack together two pairs into one?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,004 ✭✭✭ironclaw

''I'd be amazed if there wasn't a cheap headphone amp available to take the place of your KAM amp for quiet practice.''

thats it exactly - there is no earphone socket in the amp.

as i understand it you need an amp for the sound to be heard from the mixer so how do i get earphones to work for what is coming out of the amp - ie scratching etc not just what is coming out of the cueing earphones like the mixer ones.

I can hear both turntables when they are both playing but the earphones from the mixer are for cueing - dont show up fader scratches.

if i move the fader to either side - it doesnt matter i can still hear whatever record is spinning
    the fader scratches shows up on the amp - i want that quite through earphones.

That doesn't make any sense. Have you "engaged" the crossfader? Some mixers the crossfader doesn't work unless you flick a switch etc. The Behringer DDM4000 being an example. Also, have you assigned each turntable to a different line? Again, the Behringer DDM4000 doesn't recognize a line until its assigned an A or B (Left or Right) position on the crossfader.

If you want to simply monitor the mix it should work through your headphones. I do it all the time but then again I had the ability to select CUE or PFL (or a mixture of both)

I could have read this all wrong but whats your describing isn't a DJ mixer :confused:

The amp plays whatever is being played on the turntable and the fader affects that.

The earphones from the mixer is for cueing up tracks - flicking the fader has no affect.

How do I have earphones instead of speakers from the amp and still have the cueing earphones.

The mixer has nothing like your describing - besides the earphones which i want so i can practice quietly the system works flawlessly.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,791 ✭✭✭electrogrimey

Can you not just turn your speaker down? Or else just use a cd player or anything with an aux in and a headphone slot as your speaker, and take the headphones out of that.

volume down - yes but not really.

Can you explain more about the radio and aux in - this sounds promising.

Any normal cd player, or hi-fi type thing, if it's in anyway decent should have an aux in slot. Get one of the leads that goes from a red and white 3.5mm to just one 3.5mm (few euros from Peat's) and connect that lead from your master output into the aux in on the stereo, then just pop your headphones into the headphone slot on the stereo and you're sorted.

master into radio as opposed to splitting into red and white wires into mixer option on the back of the amp

the single wire carrys all the sound as opposed to splitting off to two speakers

why does the place of input of the wire in the mixer go from ''record'' to ''master'' - all under the output section at the back
    ?

otherwise makes sense - so ill look and buy that wire plus a radio that has that ability.

coolio - thanks

Dunno if I completely understand your post, but I'm talking about one of these boyos, bring the dual end out from the master output on the mixer, and connect the single end to the aux in on your stereo.

There's a master out and record out on your mixer so that you can have one going to speakers and one going to your recording device at the same time, if that's what you're asking.

okay i currently have my amp speakers connected into the record output
    should i have it in the master output?

thanks for the responses - fixed my problem.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 229 ✭✭R.Shackleford

okay i currently have my amp speakers connected into the record output
    should i have it in the master output?

thanks for the responses - fixed my problem.

yup, stick them into your master output.

hhm

is it doing any bad in the record out? works fine

It'll be fine, it's just a limited vol that comes out i.e. intended for recording

• Registered Users Posts: 5,278 ✭✭✭mordeith

I could be wrong here, but if you have a booth or tape output on your mixer then you can connect headphones to it by using the RCA converter mentioned above. This should replicate what comes out of your speakers and you can have them turned off altogether.
    EDIT I see above you have a record output. Connect your second set of heaphones to this and you can bypass the stereo.

• Advertisement

''EDIT I see above you have a record output. Connect your second set of heaphones to this and you can bypass the stereo.''

I like this - ill try it now.

this doesnt seem to work - do i need anything extra?

i jigged about with all the options - diff amp options, on off etc.
    still cant get it to work.

Going straight from the mixer isn't going to work because you need the stereo to amplify the sound, it's just raw digital musicy electronicy stuff coming out of the mixer, not sound. That's why you have to take the headphones out of the stereo.

ah cool.

just have to pay for the cheapest radio i can get and buy the wire and i need a new needle for one of the turntables.

i will never get serato at this stage - :(

Thanks for all the advice everybody.

mordeith wrote: »
    I could be wrong here, but if you have a booth or tape output on your mixer then you can connect headphones to it by using the RCA converter mentioned above. This should replicate what comes out of your speakers and you can have them turned off altogether.
    EDIT I see above you have a record output. Connect your second set of heaphones to this and you can bypass the stereo.

My bad :o. Another idea :rolleyes:: If you have a laptop you could feed the Record out into the line in, and if you are running some free audio recording software, that will pick it up and amplify the sound. (You don't actually have to record anything). You could then plug your headphones into the headphone socket on the laptop.

Right so.

What do I connect and what type of program do I need for to use the laptop.

Something like EXP Studio or Audacity should do the trick. Both free

Advertisement