Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Hypothetical Question

Options
  • 01-12-2009 11:51pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,054 ✭✭✭

Ok say you have 4 brand new cars An audi a4, honda accord, vw passet and toyota avensis and a straight road that goes to infinite all the cars have unlimted fuel and would be serviced every 10k miles

Which car would last longest without breaking down ?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,699 ✭✭✭Midnight_EG

If they're all regularly serviced, then none would break down.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,822 ✭✭✭✭EPM

They will just keep going...well actually the Passat will probably get stuck because the handbrake won't disengage, then the clutch and dmf will go and the dpf light will no doubt start glowing . Shortly afterwards the wheels will fall off. At least there's nice soft plastic on the dash to hit your head off

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,054 ✭✭✭luckyfrank

Ok leave the passet aside which of the 3 is a better built car

• Registered Users Posts: 124 ✭✭charlie1966

The A4 will last longest and is the best built.

The Toyota will probably run you into a wall if you use the cruise control and quality control has gone out the window that would have been there if you hadn't hit the aforementioned wall.

With the VW you will disappear in a sea of other Passats but at least there will be a geat choice of second hand parts at the scrap yards.

Finally the Honda. Well I have always liked Honda accept for their expensive parts but then that has nothing to do with how long they will last.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,800 ✭✭✭Senna

The audi a4 would have to stop after 10k with a faulty cig lighter, the vw passet would stop after 20k miles when the A/C stopped working, the honda accord after 30k when the divers ass fall permanently asleep and the toyota avensis driver would be bored to death by the interior after 40k.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,567 ✭✭✭daveharnett

luckyfrank wrote: »
    Ok say you have 4 brand new cars An audi a4, honda accord, vw passet and toyota avensis and a straight road that goes to infinite all the cars have unlimted fuel and would be serviced every 10k miles

Which car would last longest without breaking down ?
    This all depends on your definition of 'serviced' is. I assume for a start that you would inculde all of the hard requirements in the manufacturer's service shcedule (eg. spark plugs must be serviced every x miles, timing belt every miles etc)? But what about the stuff that the manufacturers say to inspect, and replace as needed (pumps, hoses, bushings, alternators)?

Also assuming that this infinite straight road is flat and smooth, and the cars maintain a uniform speed, except for stops for fuel and servicing. This correct?
    I am also assuming no major manufacturing faults in any of the cars. Each is a good example of it's type?

The assumptions I have made are incredibly forgiving to cars. If the service includes replacing stuff like pumps and alternators when they start to show warning signs, then each of these cars should do millions of miles, and would be let down by a random weak solder point long before any modern engine gave up - probably bosch's fault rather than the manufacturer.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,261 ✭✭✭✭mickdw

I would say they should all do many many thousands of miles however, I have a fear that all modern stuff is just too dependant on electronics and therefore any of these are likely to be stalled by some silly fault at any point. Least likely to come a cropper would be the toyota and honda with the audi next and the passat very likely to end up on the hard shoulder.
    I would have more confidence in something like an old audi 80 than many new cars today. Todays cars are too dependant on numerous ECUs most of them being supplied by the lowest bidder.

Advertisement