Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

VW Bora: Loss of Engine Power

Options
  • 01-12-2009 11:08pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 3

Hi Guys,

Recently purchased a VW Bora: 2002 1.9 TDI SE. (RED DI)

Have noticed on a few seperate occasions when driving at high speed, ie in excess of 80 I suddenly lose power. Even with full trottle it will be at its best to maintain speed but normally will start to slowly decelerate. The weird thing is once I turn off the engine & then back on again the problem recifies & I get full power again and the car has no problem in accelerating beyond 100.
    The car is in perfect condition otherwise with 140k miles on the clock but runs very sweetly. Have had my mechanic run a it on the computer & it states that their is no flaut occuring & cause of that he has no idea.

Any ideas???
    Tagged:

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,811 ✭✭✭✭Slidey

Try a mass air flow meter, they have been known to give trouble.

If you know of someone with a VW the same as yours just swop them over and see what happens.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,777 ✭✭✭Neilw

Souds like a sticky vnt in the turbo.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,202 ✭✭✭Bitten & Hisses

Could also be a dicky catalytic converter

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 233 ✭✭AzureAuto

Could be turbo boost pressure sensor, or variable geometry turbo,or mass air flow meter. Would need toperform a diagnostics test on it. Whereabouts are you based?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3 wagscs

Cheers for the info.

Spoke to a VW Garage about it this morning and they said a full dignostics would need to be carried out to verify the problem. Ranging between €250 & €500 before any part would be brought at all icon8.gif.
    Sounds expensive to me considering the moment the car drives perfectly until i cross 80mph, & even then it only occurs every now & again, but in saying that more often recently.

Another man told me it most likely that some part to do with the trottle wornen & most likely its sending a wrong signel to the fuel injection system. he said if that was the case a new part could could be brought for about €50. Any ideas on this...

Based in Dublin during the week & Leitrim most weekends

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 12,811 ✭✭✭✭Slidey

Well 250 for diagnostics is absurd.

I thought you had a mechanic put it on a computer? The turbo waste gates sometimes stick on the 1.9tdi and it causes them to overboost, the ECU in turn them goes into safe mode

• Registered Users Posts: 134 ✭✭Damomayo

Same happened to me (same car, same spec)
    It was fine mainly but if you floored it to overtake it sometimes losted all power
    Tried new AFM and a few more things but had to replace turbo in the end. Perfect since

Good luck with it, Bloody annoying when they play up :)

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 17,620 Mod ✭✭✭✭Henry Ford III

Why not just stay under 80mph? :D

Advertisement