Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Roaming with Iphone 3GS

Options
  • 01-12-2009 10:23pm
    Registered Users Posts: 71 ✭✭

Can't find a definitive answer to this, and the o2 help centre isn't much help.

I'm going to the US and I'm wondering about Data Roaming and Location Services. I have the Data Roaming off.......
    Settings>General>Network>Data Roaming Off

But the Location Services is set to on. This allows co-ordinates to be applied to all photos taken.........
    Settings>General>Location Services ON

With Location Services on, will I get charged for roaming? Will Location Services work if the Data Roaming is Off?

Help

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,711 ✭✭✭Gryzor

Once data roaming is off, no network data will be transferred to or from your phone while roaming.

GPS "data" is differant, and there is no charge for that. GPS will work without data turned on, but the iphone uses assisted GPS. Reports here are varied, but the GPS will work, but maybe not as reliably with data turned off.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,683 ✭✭✭✭Owen

GPS in my estimation will not work with data roaming turned off. I gave up after 20 minutes in Italy trying to get a lock, turned data roaming on, and within about 10 seconds I'd a lock.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,558 ✭✭✭✭Creamy Goodness

GPS will work, but the map data is transferred over a data connection.

so essentially unless you've preloaded the map it's pointless.

there are apps on cydia that allow you to cache the maps but i can't think of the name of it off the top of my head.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,169 ✭✭✭deep1

GPS will work, but the map data is transferred over a data connection.

so essentially unless you've preloaded the map it's pointless.

there are apps on cydia that allow you to cache the maps but i can't think of the name of it off the top of my head.

You will only need that for Google Maps,
    Tomtom, Co-pilot and other maps all have preloaded maps, so you only pay for A-GPS.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,927 ✭✭✭keith_d99

Worked fine for me with data roaming turned off.
    Used Navigon without any issues for a week.

I did have an initial issue getting GPS signal - but phone reboot sorted it out
    GPS in my estimation will not work with data roaming turned off. I gave up after 20 minutes in Italy trying to get a lock, turned data roaming on, and within about 10 seconds I'd a lock.

• Advertisement
Advertisement